Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see 5th Gear last night - that ST(2) 5 cylinder turbo sounded beautiful.... Can't say I'm sold on the looks, but 220bhp and the burble of that exhaust note?!

Probably more reliable than VW too....

s

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Anyone see 5th Gear last night - that ST(2) 5
cylinder turbo sounded beautiful.... Can't say I'm sold on the looks,
but 220bhp and the burble of that exhaust note?!
Probably more reliable than VW too....
s
mmmmmm.........Volvo 5-pot...........mmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
A chip will only see 260bhp [:(] I'm thinking of getting my T5 done [;)]

With a turbo change etc though, well over 300bhp is straightforward

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I thought that burble was nice too, reminded me of my v old 2.2 audi coupe!!

They have engineered the noise through the use of some tube into the engine bay behind the dash, that allows the reverbs thorough to the cabin!!

Oh and whoever said they will be 14k in a years time.....................they are that now!! You can get the basic ST for ?14200 on "buymynewcar.co.uk, and the st3, fully loaded for only ?15750!![:O] 10 week lead time though.........but hardly a wait at all in VAG circles!!

I saw a black one (presumably) on test near daventry yesterday, it was a 4 door version and it looked really really nice! So much nicer than the 2 door orange ones.

I'm tempted?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I would seriously consider one for the next car provided I am still on car allowance and get free fuel. That note is almost worth the cash alone!

Still think they could have and should have made it more potent than 220bhp though.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
mmm 300 bhp with a chip.....and in 12 months time they'll be ?14000
Through the front wheels, that'll be interesting!
The new astra vxr is 240bhp (afaik) through the front wheels! get that chipped up too to about 285bhp!!
Yeah, and what do all the reviews say about that?

"Torque Steer"

"Animal"

"Too much power"

"It broke my Arm"
And in real life it will be

Dodgy Engine Management Systems

Blown Headgasket

Rust

Cracked gearbox

Trim falling off

Crap stealer service

etc etc etc

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Wonder if Wish is keeping quiet because his paint doesnt match up like a lot of the STs [:p]

kudos for him for buying it though, looks fab and might give mine a run on a track!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Wonder if Wish is keeping quiet because his paint doesnt match up like a lot of the STs [:p]

kudos for him for buying it though, looks fab and might give mine a run on a track!
Mate, I love Hondas and respect you and the CTR, but stock v stock the ST would nail the CTR to the wall on a track I bet.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

Mate, I love Hondas and respect you and the CTR, but stock v stock the ST would nail the CTR to the wall on a track I bet.
Yes, i read in 2 places that the ST was 10 seconds quicker around "the ring" than the old Fungus RS! [:O]

Unlucky Dave! [:p]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts