Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just spoken to a friend who is in insrance, not car insurance admitidley. (sp)

Now I don't know for certain what size tyres you are running and I'm not here to bash you on your choice of wheels, BUT...

When we insure out cars, we tell them the wheels have changed. There is a reason for this, people nicking them. But the other reason is that we are taking the car and adjusting its set up. Were putting wider wheels on in 98% of cases.

Now, in your cases, your putting narrower tyres on than the manufacturer has suggested and tested the car with. These are the tyres that are deemed of suitable width and size for the car, and these are the tyres that stopping distances, NCAP security features etc are based on.

What your doing, is in effect, giving yourself less grip on the road. Less grip when cornering, less grip when stopping, less grip all the time. But your not taking down the speed of the car, neither are you decreasing the size of the brake discs.

My insurance friend explained to me, and these are her words from home insurance. It's the same as reducing your brake disc sizes, or to put it into home insurance terms, taking a couple of bricks out of the supporting walls.

Basically insurance would come round if you had to claim and say 'well why are those bircks missing from there? Would that have anything to do with your bedroom moving into your kitchen?

Its the same story, if you crash, the insurance people will look at your car and say 'well the wheels are not up to standards, sorry'.

Maybe something to think about? I'm ready for the flaming...but I'm only passing on my advice...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Not in this case, the people are just putting their cars back to stock. They are using VW golf 16" rims after all!

Gary, for example, hasn't even the dia of wheel!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
But it's all relative isn't it. Say the car comes with Bridgestone
RE040 tyres..... and when they wear out you replace them with a budget
make. Now, you're reducing your road grip and possibly stability due to
a softer sidewall... so do you have to inform them of that then?

I wouldn't bother.... cos whats the betting they want money for it!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I say, not bashing in any way, shape or form, just offering the comments which I got, as I asked as I thought it might affect it.

You could say 'dont bother telling them' when you have put 18's on. But the fact of the matter is, an insurance company is a business. If you crash, or are involved in a crash, they will look at anything to try and stop you from taking their money and eating into their profits, which effects their shares and directors.

Therefore, if you have tyres, 30mm under what the manufacturer sent the car out with, which on Tabs Anni I'm presuming is 205's, maybe 215's for the 180bhp version...then they WILL use that as a clause.

I know what your saying Rich, but your not putting an anni back to standard with steelies. Standard on an anni would be 205/215. Standards on a 1.4 might be 175's, maybe the 1.6's too, so that wouldnt effect it.

I dont want people to get the wrong idea, I'm trying to save anyone getting caught out should they be unfortunate enough to have an accident.

Chris, if I remember correctly, you had an accident where your back end went? Do you think if you had wheels/tyres which were under the specs for that car and you hadn't told them of this that they would have paid out? I dont believe so. Especially as it was a loss of grip that caused your damage.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To get my point across better, my mates car below. He lost the front end on a wet day last autumn on leaves. He procedded to hit the bank, turn round and the damage you see was from an oncoming vehicle.

He wrote off not only his car, but the van coming the other way and the trailer the van had on the back.

The car insurance company (norwich union) would not pay for his car, but to be nice, paid for the van and the trailer.

Take a close look at the picture. Why did they not pay out for his car?

No it's not because its a rover [:p]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No you cant actually see it in the picture. Basically my mate had taken the wheels off a while beforehand. But being the fool he was (not really into cars) put the directional pattern the wrong way round.

Insurance would not pay out for that reason. Therefore, I'm pretty sure insurance would have a case with tyres that are too narrow for the cars specs.

Seems a bit silly for Tabs to loose 13k which he saved for having the wrong tyres on the car, which is why I was trying to make the point, but people seem to think im being silly.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Graham, i can see the point you are trying to make, well sort of, but.....

If we take the two cars on the forum that have started the great 'steelies' debate (Tab's and GaryCundliffe), whilst the look is not to everyone's taste i just don't see how there could ever be any insurance problems tbh mate,

Both Tabs and gary are running OEM 16" steel wheels with 205/55/16 tyres, in Gary's case he is running EXACTLY the same tyre size and speed rating as fitted to his Monty2's,

Tabs is also running the same steelies, which although obviously smaller than his RC's, they are perfectly acceptable for road use imo and i just don't see how an insurance company would refuse to pay out just because you have fitted OEM VW wheels which have been type approved for use in the UK...

After all mate, you have one of these very same wheels under your boot carpet to use should you get a puncture, are you now not going to fit it incase your insurance company refuses to pay out should you come a cropper on the way to Kwik Fit to get a puncture repair....[;)]

Steve

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last time I'm ever gonna bother offering my own experience.

Get shot down in flames when I try to offer my own experience when we are talking about important insurance considerations and get shot down when I don't talk about cars.

Waste of time.

For the record I thought tabs was wearing 175's.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Graham, perhaps it's a case of more 'ankle socks and 'there's this girl...' type of posts and less of one's of a VW related nature in the future then eh....? [;)]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
GOOD GOD.

Can we move on? Its frankly nobodies business but theirs.
Here here Mike, it's time to put this one to bed imo, the 'steelie' look is not my cup of tea and i will not be doing it myself, but if Tabs, Gary and co are happy with them, who cares.....????

I for one, take my hat off to them for bucking the trend and for not caring what people think..... [Y]

Remember peeps, Different strokes for different folks and all that!! [:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where did I say ANYTHING about slating the wheels?

Where did i say ANYWHERE about the wheels looking crap?

Did Inot say right from the start this is NOT a bashing about the wheels?!

I was trying to make a genuine point. I got it in my mind that tabs was running 175's hence this post. It is still a VALID point should the wheels not be the right size.

FFS people. I was trying to offer advice from experience and look what happens. It's like an argument for me on every thread at the moment.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I'm running 205/55/16's, Graham. Same spec as the spare wheel, which, is rated as ok for use on the car.

I will contact my insurance company given the info you've supplied and I fully take on board what your saying about the dangers and ramifications of running steel wheels[Y]

However.... You've been bangin' on about the wheels lookin' crap since day one [:p] But I don't mind!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm running 205/55/16's, Graham. Same spec as the spare wheel, which, is rated as ok for use on the car.

I will contact my insurance company given the info you've supplied and I fully take on board what your saying about the dangers and ramifications of running steel wheels[Y]

However.... You've been bangin' on about the wheels lookin' crap since day one [:p] But I don't mind!
I wasnt in this thread though, you may as well delete it to be honest as its not helping no one if your running 205's anyway.

As for them being crap, changed my mind, they are down right awful [:p]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts