Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in 2 minds whether to install a very subtle, low-light blue leds in the footwells to lighten up the darker bits of the car to the same lovely VW blue.

Does this come across as too 'Chav-like'?

I need 2nd opinions

·
Registered
256 Posts
thats next on my list m8, i hav just illuminated the door handles and door pockets with small red 1.2 watt bulbs and it looks factory ...

also doing cubby hole as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
when I first heard of doing this I thought it sounded very chav, but having been in a car with them done properly I think they're great, they brighten the darkest parts and I think blue would look great, just as long as they're very stealth

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My vote goes to red rather than blue. Blue is for gauges, red for everything else.

My preferred configuration is to wire the LEDS so that they behave the way the overhead light works now on its auto setting. Then to wire the overhead light so that it only comes on when the door is actually open (like the lights at the bottom of the door). Close the door without starting the car, only the LEDS will be on. Start the car, LEDS go off. No footwell LEDS on when driving.

Very useful, very subtle, not chav at all. Have I done it? No, but I probably will when I have time. Testing it out first on my old Lancia in case it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Seem to remember seeing it used to good effect in an Audi A6 a few years ago.

There are times when I want to have a little light in the car, just to make sure someone isn't already in it before I get in, but don't want to be sitting in a spotlight when I get in. Subtle footwell lighting seems perfect for that.

Hardly like having a neon underneath is it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've got this done on my golf and I have to say it looks the business, it's not as bright as in the pictures above, it's very subtle. I got the LEDS and leads from Foxy, so maybe if you ask him nicelly he may be able to sort you a set. They are very easy to wire up, I wired them through the cigerrete lighter so when you dim the interior lights the LED's dim as well.

I've got mine in both footwells as well as the cubby hole above the radio.

Mike

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ive done it and peeps always say how smart it looks with the dash lights etc. Blue is the way to got there, red wouldnt suit quite so well IMO.

Wez

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well after reading a few posts here i think im going to go ahead and do it. I'll ask Foxy and see what he suggests and in the meantime start thinking about dark areas that need a little more light in them. I liked the idea about the door pockets.

VERY subtle mind..

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Sceptic - Let me know what Foxy says or advises on the matter - might try something like it myself. If he has done his own before and its not too hard to rig something together = GB???????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts