Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW have just contacted me saying my car is up for a recall, due to a possible problem with the flywheel, anybody else had the same notice??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
September 55, plate, not sure what the problem is, just said it needs to come in and also to check the steering rack. Why do VW's these days have so many problems!!! had japenese cars before my golf and never had a problem, never mind!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, it's a fault with some dual-mass flywheels fitted to TurboDiesels only, does not affect the GTi or any petrol model as I understand it. Not all diesels are affected, depends on the manufacturer of the DMF. (Got this from the dealer last week)

·
Registered
27 Posts
i had some other work done on my 54 plate TDI 2.0 last week and they notified me then that they needed to check the flywheel aswell, it turns out that mine was not affected.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yes, it's a fault with some dual-mass flywheels fitted to TurboDiesels only, does not affect the GTi or any petrol model as I understand it. Not all diesels are affected, depends on the manufacturer of the DMF. (Got this from the dealer last week)
Shamful to think that VAG are still having issues with there DMF, I had my TT's replaced over 4 years ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Contacted week and a half back by the dealer. Put my Tdi 4Motion in last Thursday for the DMF check and they confirmed needs to be replaced. Part now on order. Wonder how long it will be before it is available?

Quite a large job so they informed me. Car has been running a treat, always fear the worst when it has to go in for a job like this that it will return not running as smoothly as it went in!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
When I took my car (GT TDI 2004) in for its service last week, the dealer told me there was a recall and they had to check the Flywheel and a breather pipe. The check took 1 hour apparently.

When I collected the car they told me they would have to change the flywheel and the breather pipe (it seems that it is not always nescessary to do both, guess I was just lucky). Booked it in for two days after the service, they wanted the car all day, the time allocated for the job was 5 hours.

Didn't notice much difference afterwards, a little smoother maybe, or may be just my imagination.

A friend who has a Touran, with the TDI engine had a letter from Volkswagen last October about the flywheel problem and the breather pipe (in extreme cases it can cause an engine fire). I have asked VW why I did not receive a letter and they are looking into it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am hoping that it is not an Engine out job to replace as it also needs a new sterring rack replacement while it is also in for the recall, i am totally un happy with the car since i have only just done 3500miles from new. I have already had a new windscreen, new carpets due to leaks, faulty radio and new door seals! got no faith in the car now. with only 6 months old i am going to see if i can reject the car, not sure i will gwt a result.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I am hoping that it is not an Engine out job to replace as it also needs a new sterring rack replacement while it is also in for the recall, i am totally un happy with the car since i have only just done 3500miles from new. I have already had a new windscreen, new carpets due to leaks, faulty radio and new door seals! got no faith in the car now. with only 6 months old i am going to see if i can reject the car, not sure i will gwt a result.
You will not be able to reject the car.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Contacted week and a half back by the dealer. Put my Tdi 4Motion in last Thursday for the DMF check and they confirmed needs to be replaced. Part now on order. Wonder how long it will be before it is available?

Quite a large job so they informed me. Car has been running a treat, always fear the worst when it has to go in for a job like this that it will return not running as smoothly as it went in!!!
What age is your TDI 4motion mate?

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
October 2005 registered although it is the 2005 model with the dual climate control.  It appears age is not relevant as VW had more than one supplier of the DMF and it only one supplier they have the problem with hence why they have to take the car in to check the DMF in each vehicle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
VW did not contact me direct. VW must have contacted the dealer from whom I bought the car

as the dealer contacted me. They are 140 miles from me and rather than leave a message with

my daughter (probably would not have received) the dealer persevered and tracked me down on my mobile.

So, to be confident I would speak to the dealer where you purchased the car.

I looked on the VOSA site where recalls are listed but I guess this recall is so new it wasn't listed.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts