Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I was just wondering if it's possible to use the 3 button type flip key as used on

Bora's on my Golf???

as my keys are getting a bit rough

and if so would i have to get them programmed to my car ?? what does that involve?

is that a job for my local stealers????

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Hi all my car doesnt have remote central locking, was wondering if it was possible to have a flip key instead of the normal standard, not bothered about the remote bit just think the flip key looks much better

would this work?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
Hi all my car doesnt have remote central locking, was wondering if it was possible to have a flip key instead of the normal standard, not bothered about the remote bit just think the flip key looks much better

would this work?

Cheers
It'll work if you get a new blade cut and swap the transponder chip over.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a brand new blank key blade/immobiliser fob to fit a three button remote fob... trying to shift it on because i bought it in error!

PM me if you're interested, can send pics [Y]

·
Jedi
1,452 Posts
if the frequencies are the same then yes you can use a 3 button one instead of the 2 button one (although the boot button wont work on the 3 buttong fob.
I programmed a Bora remote to my golf & the boot button works. It doesn't obviously pop the boot, but it un-locks the boot, so if the car is locked & you need something from the boot, you can un-lock just the boot, but be careful not to leave your keys in the boot as it re-locks the boot when you shut it!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Getting a flip key to work just for the flip key is no big deal. Installing OEM remote locking is a bit of a bigger job. As Chris said, all you need to do is buy a fob off ebay with a blank blade and preferably a virgin transponder. Get the blade cut and have the key coded by someone with vagcom.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Does it need to be coded by vagcom or is there another proven method of doing it?

,do you have to swap the transponder over from the original key or just code the new one? is there anyone in the north east that could code with vagcom if needs be (for Beer Money)

Cheers

·
Registered
990 Posts
Pretty sure you can't remove the transponder out of the normal type keys but if you can then it you don't need to code your new key.

If, obviously, you buy a new transponder, then it'll need recoding. This is the best way anyway, you can keep the others as spares then. Only method to pair keys is vagcom (or Vagtacho).

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The transponder can be taken out of the "normal" type of keys,that's how I took this photo.

Chris.
How did you get it out without damaging it, does this mean i could get the new key cut and put my exsisting transponder into it and it should work fine straight away without the need for it to be coded to the car?

Cheers Paul

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
The transponder can be taken out of the "normal" type of keys,that's how I took this photo.

Chris.
How did you get it out without damaging it, does this mean i could get the new key cut and put my exsisting transponder into it and it should work fine straight away without the need for it to be coded to the car?

Cheers Paul
Apparantly SOME are glued in,but I've swapped loads of these and all of those were just placed in there.No need to code again if you're using a transponder that already works in your car.

Chris.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Chris.
Hey,

I've dismantled my key to try and find the above component but cant, all I can see is the PCB used for the buttons.

Could someone point me in the right direction to find the actual transponder unit because I have snapped the key ring bar off both my keys now?!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 35 Posts