Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly hello, recently new to the forum and have recently purchased a 2002 bora tdi 130. now the glow plug light is flashing along with engine workshop on the dash, did a quick search and read aout the brake switch, checked my lights first they worked so ordered a new switch, got that fitted but the light is still flashing, im abit stuck as to what else it could be, i read in one post about it requiring 10 engine starts/stops to reset itself is this true?

it was plugged in to a computer by the previous owner who said is flashed the code for the brake switch - implausible signal, so was kinda hoping that would fix it.

Any other advice is greatly welcomed.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
had that on a mates, fitted the switch incorrectly, brake lights were still not working, fiddled with the new switch and it sorted it! checked the fuses?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its fitted correctly followed the guide and the brake lights work fine, which fuses?

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
The brake lights working is not an indication of a working switch.

There are two channels inside the switch. First is Normally open when the brake pedal is up, and second is normally closed when the brake pedal is up. They switch places when the pedal is pressed. One side switches the brake lights, the other side tells the ECU you've pressed the brake pedal. So although the brake lights are working the ECU may think they're not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no wed night when i drop it of at the garage for the belts, do you know if there are any other fuses for the glow plugs bar the one on top of the battery as my glow light only stays on for a split second when first turn the key, in my opinion not long enough to heat unless these engines do not require it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE

had it in the garage last week for full belt change, got them to plug it in and clear codes, brake switch code returned again. so instead of the new one from ebay i got i went to the vw stealership and got a genuine part. i have got the new revised green 4pin switch which is much easier to fit BUT i still get engine workshop and a flashing glow plug light ffs

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm having this same issue now! replaced 2 brake light switches and the fault is still there and cannot be cleared!

Did you fix this issue?

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Check your brake light bulbs.

Had a Passat a while ago, flashing glow plug light and no brake lights. Changed the switch, had brake lights but couldn't shift out of park, had 1 (of 4) bulb with a burned element. It was lighting up, but still causing a problem.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Same here for break light bulb had a loose connection which in turn stopped cruise control functioning too.

removed cluser, removed all bulbs and gave it a dusting then replaced.

All working now and no flashing glow plug light - Although this doesn't explain the brake error code.

I'm having this same issue now! replaced 2 brake light switches and the fault is still there and cannot be cleared!

Did you fix this issue?
Have you checked the measuring blocks of the brake pedal or had it scanned?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry what do you mean by measuring blocks?

I changed both brake light bulbs although they were still lghting up. is it worth replacing any other bulbs regardless of wether they look blown or not? All are lighting up at last check.

With regards to scanning it one of our techs at work is ex VW and he scanned it for me before and after fitting the switches. It came up with impluasable signal brake light switch and still does after the 2 switches!

Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
Find someone near you with VCDS and have it scanned, you can then look in VCDS measuring blocks if the brake light switch is working.

Without a VCDS fault value this is all I can work with.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00526 also check contacts into rear cluster.

Do all your rear lights work, have you checked fuse 13 or 20?
Have you fitted any LED or non oem spec brake light bulbs?

Did you buy the Brake switch from VW?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'll see what I can do re: VCDS.

In answer to your other questions all rear lights work. fuses 13 and 20 were checked and replaced even though they looked healthy, all bulbs are standard items (i.e no leds) and brake light switch was from TPS ( I believe that is VW genuine products).

I have used some contact grease thanks to a tech at work although the contacts looked ok on both sides but have a spare bulb holder arrive today which I want to give a try just incase that is at fault.

I'll drop back with any further news!

Thanks

John

·
Registered
894 Posts
If the bulbs all work then it should just be down to the brake switch or loose wire from there.

Possibly replace / check part under warranty?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the Engine WORKSHOP light appear on the dashboard, same thought "what the xxcking hells that". Checked my rear lights all on and when brake light applied just the top rear screen light came on. Took the actual real cluster brake lights out, appeared all ok. As luck would have it, had a spare set in the boot, changed them, more luck than judgement, and blow me, they worked and the Engine Workshop warning on the dashboard has gone out. Not saying it has cured it, as I have only just done it. So if it happens again tomorrow, then back to the drawing board, but if not guys, maybe check the simplest things first. But must admit, me wallet did get a hot flush at the time.

Hope this has helped and thanks for the other post suggesting the lights. Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts