722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I got pulled over by the Police today. Sat in traffic on the A36,
doing no more than 50mph in a 60. Passed a stationary Police car
with PC stood outside. 2 miles further on, I am aware of a car
being driven fairly fast, like a dodgem almost, weaving in and out of
the traffic, next thing he is inches away from my bumper, having forced
the traffic behind to slow sharply and he pulls me over.

He arrives at the window. "hello squire, I think your front windows are
too dark, I have a gentleman from VOSA (i Think) who would like to test
them". So he does and finds they are Ok, One dis-gruntled PC!!

The VOSA shows me the limits, Below 35% - Immediate Prohibition. 35-45%
- Delayed prohibition (14days) and 45%-65% advise given.

So a warning that Wiltshire Plod are on the look out, my windows are
50% tint done by tinter, The VOSA guy said it was an extremly good job, one
of the best he has seen.

SB

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By ok, I mean that I didn't receive a Prohibition order, just some
friendly advice. I personally think that the level of tint is ok,
far less than some Max powers I have seen.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
That is not funny

i got stoped and on the read out is was 36% so i got the horid pink slip so i got 2 2nd hand windoes and swaped them out and then put my old ones back in after i had been and seen the VOSA TOSS*R

so how much were my windowa over the limit?

·
Registered
88 Posts
There seems to be a lot of confusion over tinting percentages, am I right in thinking that a 35% tint only allows 35% of the outside light to pass through so a 35% tint is darker than a 50% tint. 

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I know what you mean about the cops driving like a fool mate, same
happened to me a few years ago on the single occasion I have been
pulled over. I was dialling a number on my mobile (in
conjunction with BT Handsfree and this was 02, before the alw change) while stopped at lights. There was a Police van next
to me. We pulled away, and the Police van pulled me over on a 50MPH
clearway with no kerb
- a bridge in fact, the one that links Lancaster
to Morecambe! Caused traffic chaos, did he care? Hell no.

'Why aren't you wearing a seatbelt?'

'I took it off as I assumed you want me to get out of the car'

'Why were you using your phone? You didn't even see me did you?'

'I was dialling for my handsfree, and yes I did see you quite a while back. At the lights right?'

'Don't do it again.'

What a waste of time...

i got stoped and on the
read out is was 36% so i got the horid pink slip so i got 2 2nd hand
windoes and swaped them out and then put my old ones back in after i
had been and seen the VOSA TOSS*R
If you have a tint thats illegal, what do you expect?

There seems to be a lot of confusion over
tinting percentages, am I right in thinking that a 35% tint only allows
35% of the outside light to pass through so a 35% tint is darker than a
50% tint.
That was my understanding yeah, but you can have darker on the back? So
rather than get 50% or lighter all round, people go for a darker tint
on the back than the front making their cars look like vans, which I
don't get!

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I had the them tinted when i lived in Germany and over there the window tint was legal and the system over there is an absolut nightmare

when you lower a car or do anything to it that is not standard you have to go to the T?V/MOT and pay to get the mod recorded into the car papers even if it is a set of alloy?s

so i was not aware it was that bad as it is a chrom ss-lumar foil it does not look any diffrent from inside but has a slight reflection from outside

·
Registered
646 Posts
Makes me laugh haven't the pigs got anything better to do!! Useless as usual! more concerned about petty things like this than proper crime!

Willing to cut in and out of traffic risking peoples lives just to catch up with someone with light tinting on the car!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I had the them tinted when i lived in Germany and over there the window tint was legal and the system over there is an absolut nightmare

when you lower a car or do anything to it that is not standard you have to go to the T?V/MOT and pay to get the mod recorded into the car papers even if it is a set of alloy?s

so i was not aware it was that bad as it is a chrom ss-lumar foil it does not look any diffrent from inside but has a slight reflection from outside
Same here in Luxembourg!

I had to pay 250 Euros to get my suspension mods (arbs and springs) checked for conformity and have them registered on my papers.

The RCCR lights were OK as they are E-marked.

I cannot however make my 17" TTs "legal" because being standard fit Audi wheels, no TUV exists for them!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Hi all,

I got pulled over by the Police today. Sat in traffic on the A36, doing no more than 50mph in a 60. Passed a stationary Police car with PC stood outside. 2 miles further on, I am aware of a car being driven fairly fast, like a dodgem almost, weaving in and out of the traffic, next thing he is inches away from my bumper, having forced the traffic behind to slow sharply and he pulls me over.

He arrives at the window. "hello squire, I think your front windows are too dark, I have a gentleman from VOSA (i Think) who would like to test them". So he does and finds they are Ok, One dis-gruntled PC!!

The VOSA shows me the limits, Below 35% - Immediate Prohibition. 35-45% - Delayed prohibition (14days) and 45%-65% advise given.

So a warning that Wiltshire Plod are on the look out, my windows are 50% tint done by tinter, The VOSA guy said it was an extremly good job, one of the best he has seen.

SB
Where on the A36 was this? We have both our cars tinted light smoke and use this road regularly.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just south of salisbury, I pulled into the road to the village just at the start of the dual carriageway just before Salisbury. It was interesting to see the speeds at which he was willing to drive, and just how close he got to my rear bumper. I was in my uniform with a fleece over the top, and was a model "yes sir" etc so it put back in his box somewhat. I didn't like the cocky "hello squire" bit!!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Just south of salisbury, I pulled into the road to the village just at the start of the dual carriageway just before Salisbury. It was interesting to see the speeds at which he was willing to drive, and just how close he got to my rear bumper. I was in my uniform with a fleece over the top, and was a model "yes sir" etc so it put back in his box somewhat. I didn't like the cocky "hello squire" bit!!
Worth knowing, I travel that bit of the A36 regularly. You must have turned off the A26 just after pepperbox hill. I got caught speeding there last mothers day going the other way (up the hill) as the dual carraigeway becomes a 60mpt limit when the central reservation ends and I was doing 70-mph.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another thought on tints, most if not all cars now come with some degree of tint as standard so do you have to add this to the tint you apply to get a true figure?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Just a quick brief for all

here in south wales they have just started doing DB readings on how loud you box is lol

just on my way to get some fish and chips and in the town there is quite a big hill to pull up and guess what is behind me?
you got is the south wales police on the search for another big crime racket (ME!)

pulled me over and said
PLOD:That is a bit loud or not sir
ME: Dont know the sterio is on mate
PLOD: We best test it then sir as you know the legal limit is 98DB
ME: Yes that is corect
PLOD: Can you start it and give it full boot sir
PLOD: Oh that is lucky it is 97.8DB[:mad:] with a very sad look on his face
ME: Oh that is more than lucky LOL

have a good evening sir

YUP YOU TOOOOOOOOO!
PMFSL

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
you know the feeling when you see something so funy but you cant just fall on the floor and roll over in pain laughing

begging someone to call a an ambulance
well that is what it was like
and i know if i did they would rip the car to bits just to p*ss on my glory

and now i just cant stop

(good job they did not see the front tints[:p])

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
......PLOD: We best test it then sir as you know the legal limit is 98DB
ME: Yes that is corect
PLOD: Can you start it and give it full boot sir
PLOD: Oh that is lucky it is 97.8DB[:mad:] with a very sad look on his face
What revs did he test you at? I get involved in many rallies and the noise limits for those can change according to the venue. If they hold the noise meter at the wrong angle/distance and if you're tested at the wrong revs it can make the whole thing inadmissable if taken to court. I expect the police know that too but it's worth bearing in mind if you're given a marginal reading. Immaterial of course if it's under[:D].

·
Registered
196 Posts
Another thought on tints, most if not all cars now come with some degree of tint as standard so do you have to add this to the tint you apply to get a true figure?
Yes you do, thats why a lot of tints placed on the front windows are actually illegal. You might only be putting a light smoke on the fronts that won't make it illegal, but with the manufactures tint there you might get a pink slip because of the combined measurement

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I am not too sure as he just said get in and floor it

where and how he stuffed the gismo i do not know mate
but very handy to know that for future probs[:D]

all i know is he was a bit pisse* off by the look on his chops[:D]

and that made my day compleat

·
Registered
187 Posts
The police sometimes go seriously over the top mind! I wonder how many times an hour they here the "have you found the people who stole my kids bike yet" line, or "havnt you got some real crime to sort out"

Must be great getting one up!!

3 and a half years driving and i've not been pulled....touch wood!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts