Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stretch of road by where I live (Dunningsbridge road) has a fixed speed camera. I've gone through it more times than I've had hot dinners so know the score, as do most folk who use the same road. Its a 40 limit and it very rarely goes off as it's reported to have a high speed threashold.

Drove past it the other day in the new car, sticking to bang on 40mph as I normally do, and what should happen.... Flash! Great I think, have a look around for another car behind me as theres nothing in front and it looks like I'm being flashed for doing the speed limit. Ok.....

Drove past it again the next day, same situation, bang on 40mph - FLASH! Great...

On this second occasion however, there was another car about 200m behind me. Now although I cannot estimate his speed (it was dark etc.) I would be inclined to think he knew the camera was there, he was also flashed. This got me thinking - is the camera faulty? Would a high volume of speeding fines generated by one unit be investigated i.e. it must be a problem?

I'm expecting two NIP's through the post now and I intend to fight both as I was sticking to 40mph. Maybe the spedo is slightly out but I can't see it being that. Ideally I need to get TomTom on the go and measure my speed via GPS and compare to be sure.

Has anyone rejected the claims based on fault of the camera?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
To reject it, you would need to take it to court. You sure the speed limit has not been decreased and they haven't signed it up very well? I.e. are there physical 40 signs there? If so, go back today and take photo's of them. You will need this as evidence as if they have changed it to 30, they would often just take the signs away (if the road has street lighting) intending on catching people just like yourself.

You may or may not get an NIP. There could be something else setting the camera off, like the calibration lines on the road being dodgy. NIP's are often automated, so on what you said, you may get an NIP for around 38mph in a 40mph area. Then you can decline it and rub their noses in it.

You got any GPS sat nav or road angel or anything you could pop out in the car with the measure speeds? Speedo should always be reading about 3-5mph OVER what the GPS does.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the road is still has a 40mph limit. It's the main dual carriage way that runs from the M57 down to Liverpool Dock's, so its prudent to make sure traffic can flow at a reasonable rate.

I'm racking my brains as to what could be causing the speed to be out (If it is that at all). As said, I'll get TomTom on the go and cross check with the cars speedo as you can get real time road speed from TomTom's navigational options.

Just a PITA to have stuff like this happen.

What would the case be if I find that the speedo is under reading? Do I have an opportunity to prove it (probably in court)?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
MMM strange know the camera well mark... dont forget all even if you were flashed and pictured the system works off 2 pictures and the number of road markings in between each marking so they can do a distance over time calculation on top the radar calculation... because of this I would be surprised if you received a nip...

also if the cameras faulty remeber they only hold 400 pics whats the bet its ran out of fillm over christmas?

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Mark

Either the second form of speed measuremennt (lines on road) will show you were doing 40, or if they show you were over, I would expect check of your speedo to prove that it reads over, and the fact that you only just bought the car would get you off in court.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
If the speedo is under reading then unfortunately, you have to take the fine and points. [:(]

There is no way out of that one as they say that the car should be fit for the road. If the speedo was dodgy (which I know quite a lot about now!!), then the car is not fit to be on the road, even if you did not know. This is what they would say to you.

It's like going out drunk and saying you didnt realise you were. Your not going to get let off.

It's a PITA like you say, but if the speedo was under reading, theres no way out. My speedo on the R32 was over reading a far bit before it decided to pack up. Basically sitting at traffic lights I was doing 15mph as it kept telling me my handbrake was on, so it is possible, but let's hope thats not the case with your car!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Mark

Either the second form of speed measuremennt (lines on road) will show you were doing 40, or if they show you were over, I would expect check of your speedo to prove that it reads over, and the fact that you only just bought the car would get you off in court.
Didnt help someone on pepipoo, he got fined anyway, was reading 9ph under what it was supposed to be reading they found out in the end. Suppose like everything though, depends on if the judge had some the night before or not.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tyres are 205/55/16 standard Bora Sport Alloys - did think it could of been that as I've had odd speedo readings in the past (those BMW wheels).

Will just have to wait and see I guess....

First one happened week (Thursday I think) so I should be due a letter any time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Tabs,speedo in the Bora reads about 1-2 MPH over true GPS speed(if 40 MPH indicated you're really only doing 38-39 MPH).

This was taken from TomTom(both PDA and GO 700).Fingers crossed for you mate.

Dave

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Tabs , this has happened to me many of times in the past and nothing has come through! As long as you are 100% sure you wernt speeding then fine. I got flashed twice in the same day on this dual carridgeway and i remember the second time it was showing about 5mph under the limit. Dont worry about it.

Infact these kind of flashes are quite common, i remember a joke going around the internet a bit ago... something like.

"Have you ever been flashed by a speed camera and you wernt speeding....well now you can view these pictures online"

Then you go through all these questions about your car etc.... then it takes ages to load , all looks serious then randomly the screen flashes or something, dindnt half make me jump!

You`ll be ok mate.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Tabs,speedo in the Bora reads about 1-2 MPH over true GPS speed(if 40 MPH indicated you're really only doing 38-39 MPH).

This was taken from TomTom(both PDA and GO 700).Fingers crossed for you mate.

Dave
Cheers Dave, I was thinking this was the case [Y]

It's handy having the previous owner of the car on the forum [:D]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Mark, why dont you call to ours tomorrow on the way to work and take my Road Angel that will tell you if your speedo is wrong.

Our kid got done by that camera a few months ago.. As you say everyone knows it's there.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
i thought i got flashed the weekend before christmas with a camera in a 40 on the back way to sheffield (near the phoenix club, if anyone knows it) and i was pretty damn sure i was doing 35, mainly because, it was uphill, i was somewhere i don't really go often, so was unsure of the limit. went back and had a look at the markings, thinking i might not have been at them when i saw it flash (it was one that takes a front photo, either way, there wasn't anything coming the other way to set it off) but i couldn't be sure if it got me, or the guy in front, who was doing the same speed, if not less, or if it didn't go off at all and just got a flash of the sun on the lens. what was strange when i was looking at it was i thought it saw it moving too, bizarre experience! either way, not had anything through - yet.

if you're pretty sure you were doing 40 both times, i'm sure the camera's just bust, hopefully. And if you're sure of your speed, don't hesitate to contest it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Same thing happened to myself and Emma about 6 months ago, a camera we both know very well on the A556 in a 50 zone...

Em was coming home from work one night and went through just under 50 as normal and it flashed!, week later and i'm going through the same camera just under 50 at the same time as a car was coming the other way and it flashed!

Never heard anything from either 'flash' so i reckon you'll be fine Mark [Y]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Respond back with something to the effect you want to see the pictures as evidence.

I received a NIP for 59mph in a 50mph limit, A33 going from Reading to Basingstoke, near Strartfield Saye, whilst on the motorbike. It was a mobile laser van that had caught me.

I ignored the NIP since I thought 59 in a 50 was taking the piss. A month later, they sent me a standard road traffic act letter saying I should respond. I responded saying I'd never received the NIP so they sent me a new one with a new date.

I ignored the second NIP because it was more than 14 days older than the offence. Again, they sent me the same road traffic act standard letter. I responded this time saying the NIP was more than 14 days after the offense date but to satisfy the road traffic act, I declare myself as the driver and should they wish to persue, I'll present my evidence in court.

They sent a response saying they had referred the matter to the CPS. I was kakking my pants at this point as they had 3 months to take me to court still so did some research on Pepipoo and found they were supposed to send the first NIPs by first class post but they'd sent both by second class. Felt a bit more comfortable after this!

In hindsight, I was lucky I could have gotten myself off on a technicality but I really shouldn't have been such a c0ck and ignored the NIPs! LOL!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was flashed by a Gatso in Southgate (N London) a few months back. It was in a 30 zone on a road that I drive along all the time and I was sure that I was doing under 30mph at the time. Never recieved a NIP or anything and heard from somewhere (not sure where now) that they sometimes flash for no apparent reason to calibrate themselves???

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
If the speedo is under reading then unfortunately, you have to take the fine and points. [:(]

There is no way out of that one as they say that the car should be fit for the road. If the speedo was dodgy (which I know quite a lot about now!!), then the car is not fit to be on the road, even if you did not know. This is what they would say to you.

It's like going out drunk and saying you didnt realise you were. Your not going to get let off.

It's a PITA like you say, but if the speedo was under reading, theres no way out.
Right, based on what you say above Graham.. weekend before last, I rented a van (local company; we were moving house and did it ourselves). Driving to my mums, she lives other side of margate from us, bout 4 mile trip, go past this camera i've been passed a million times before, check speedo, bang on 30 (it's a 30 limit), camera flashes (or I thought it did, sure I saw a flash in the mirrors; it was about 1/4 to nine on a sunday morning, so normal daylight). Get quite annoyed as think i've got myself three points. Get tom tom in the van later that day to check if it is reading out and the speedo reading 30, is showing 34 on the tom tom ! [:mad:]

Now, the rest of the van was quite frankly pretty shocking (it was an old post office van: I was in a post office van and we have a black and white cat ! lol), I could turn the steering probably 25-30 degrees either way and it would have no effect on the direction of the wheels, everytime I went over the smallest bump in the road I got the most awful "BANG BANG" from the front nearside wheelarch {worn bushes I guess}, the bumper was held on with a tie wrap (I took pictures of all of it in case I need it as proof in future) - to say the least I dunno how it was judged as roadworthy !

So where do I stand if I do get a nip ? Given that the van was not mine and was not in a roadworthy state.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts