Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Right, am posting this Thread as am getting really worried now. The problem is since about last week, that I have noticed, if I get maybe about 10 cars passing me from opposite side of the road, at least 2 of them will flash me going past.

Now at first , I thought it was nothing, trhought maybe there was someone behind me they were flashing in or something but now getting suspiscious.

I am getting suspicious it is my Angel eyes as, it is only car coming towards me and only when lights are on, now I read a thread about when on full, it looks like you have your beams on, but I have discovered that, it seems to happen more when just have my Spots on or 4 Angel rings.

It is not any sort of vehicles either, cars, lorries etc. However there are plenty of cars that pass me and no problems

It happened this morning about 06:00 o clock so was not too dark but not quite bright

The rings themself when dark enugh have a blue tint to them but look more white when brighter, obviously looking at these when in front of my car, they are lit up but no way near blinding, plus when I have my full lights on, if anything they are a bit too low, so not too high and blinding

Probably just babbling on a bit with this message but, either I am stupid and cant realise what they are flashing for, the only difference in my car since this started happening is I have Angel Eyes and Mesh Grill

Just to add also passed a cop car this morning, he was waiting at roundabout as I passed so not sure if he saw me but I have had this Lioghts on for ages and have seen several Cop Cars, surely if there was a major problem, illegally that was, I would have been pulled up by a cop or even another driver

Can anyone please help with this

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone got any ideas?

I know without pictures and seeing the lights working, it might be difficult to assess but any help at all

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Fks are set up for driving on the righthand side of the road,so your dims are blinding people,you need to take the backs of the mand flick the tourist handle,or better still just take them out!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well dont get me wrong, totall agree with you as I didnt have a clue, but with the light getting though to rings, didnt think they would be bright enough to blind people, they dont look it, Ill have to try and drive towards them and see if there is a glare

What exactly do I need to do in dummy terms mate, sorry no expert when it comes to cars

Cheers

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
It's not the light from the rings that's blinding people, it's the dipped beam! They are RHD light units so will be angled slightly to the right, which will blind people in this country as we drive on the left. So you have to angle them to the left using the tourist lever.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, you mean set the lever for LHD so they angle to the left, got ya

When you say dimmed Beams, maybe I am missing something but I am being flashed when only rings are on, not the full light, light setting is only on setting 1 on the light dial

And this setting only light the insides of the rings, not other light comes on

·
Registered
843 Posts
lol I had the same problem but only when my headlights were on not the sidelights or angel eyes should I say

Had to flick the switch over

I've asked before but can you change the led's?? Cause I've had a look and can't seem to get the back off

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
hmmm if that's the case then I'd ignore them! Doubt the rings could dazzle you! To be sure, get a mate to drive in the opposite direction and see if he gets dazzled.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
it seems to happen more when just have my Spots on or 4 Angel rings.
What do you mean by spots? Do you mean driving lights in the lower grilles or fog lights in the lower grilles? Maybe this is the problem? Or am I confused. hehe

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, were all getting confused I think, ive otally gone blond. Ill explain if I can

I have 3 setting of lights

Turn Dial Once - Get the 2 Angel ring LED's light up inside the rings - They are white/blue Tint LED's as look white in day but blur at night

Turn Dial Twice - Get the Dimmed Beams(I think you call them) which is your normal lights when driving at night

Pushed Light Lever Forward - Get full beams for driving on dark roads

The problem is , its the Turn Dial Once(Just the actual rings light up), now until I drive towards them I can be certain but, I cant believe these have enough power to blind someone, they just really light the rings up, thats all

Hope this clears it up, no other bulb lights, just the 2 rings on each side, maybe stupid, but could it be anything to do with the blue tint, ive had cars come at me with blue tint and dont bother me

Need a resolution or will have to avoid driving at night.lol

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i can not for the life of me understand why people would be getting blinded from the FK angel eye rings (side lights!!) i can understand if they were flashing when your dipped beam is on. the light output on the FK units was terrible when i had a set so i flogged them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Mike - Can you not change the LED's in them, as I thought I read somewhere you can, I just can't seem to open them up and don't want to force them and break them!

I know what you mean about the angel eyes not being that bright, thats why I want to try and upgrade the LED's

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cant understand why they are flashing me, and it isnt even other car admirers maybe saying nice lights, even at a stretch a clapped out car and a lorry wouldnt be doing that. Had to rob pic below from Pricey for illustration purposes(sorry mate). This is what my lights look like when angels rings are on only, bout the same brightness as well

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/april1978/ukmkivs_sig.jpg[/IMG]]Posted Image

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Mike - Can you not change the LED's in them, as I thought I read somewhere you can, I just can't seem to open them up and don't want to force them and break them!

I know what you mean about the angel eyes not being that bright, thats why I want to try and upgrade the LED's
yeah the side light leds can be changed. bit fiddly but yeah it can be done. the led lights just pop out of the sockets that they are held in by. think there is 9 leds per light, black and blue wireing to each led bulb.

·
Registered
287 Posts
you can change the bulbs in the rings for LEDs. There's a picture around of my old car around somewhere on here- do a search, there are instructions for tourist levers and improving the light output too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right, Im gonna get the lever switched at weekend, not doing any night driving this week so no problem

As for people flashing me when I just have the Angel Rings lit, they must have sensitive eyes or something, ill get my mate to drive towards me tonite and see what happens

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Maybe people are flashing you to put your headlights on.If the rings arent very bright then they may just be trying to get your attention.

And if your driving with spots on maybe they are telling you to switch em off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts