Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dealer today to sign a few forms.

Had the mandatory chat with the Business Manager about some things they offer.

1) Fixed Price Servicing - roughly ?300 a year but can pay my monthly D/D. Covers replacement of tyres and most wear and tear items (brake discs and pads etc)

2) GAP Insurance - they will cover the difference between what you get from insurers and what was paid for the car originally. One Off fee of ?395 for 3 years cover

Has anyone buying a new GTI taken on these options?

I thought the servicing cost was around ?200 a shot but he seemed to think its closer to ?300 (which is more that I had imagined!)

The GAP Insurance seems sensible....if car gets written off say just before the end of the cover (over 2 years old) I still get my ?22k back even though the car may only be worth ?13-?14k.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Check with your insurance company, I think you will find you get full RRP value should your be written off up until its 12 months old. Otherwise if the car is on finance consider it, but try and get them to throw it in free as part of the deal. With the servicing, check the small print, if a tyre is damaged, say slashed you might still have too pay a percentage of the cost. Companies work the tyre life down to the legal minimum. Again with the brakes, you should get 20-30k out of the front pads, and unless you do high mileage or intend to keep the car for a long while it might not work out cost effective

·
Registered
24 Posts
The GAP Insurance seems sensible....if car gets written off say just before the end of the cover (over 2 years old) I still get my ?22k back even though the car may only be worth ?13-?14k.
When I bought my tdi I got my gap from http://www.click4gap.co.uk, it was half the price of VW's. I showed the site printout to the salesman & he took a photocopy to 'use for ammunition' :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ask yourself what's in it for the stealer?

One thing for sure they ain't doing it for the love of it i.e. it's a profit making excersise. Unless you write off your car in the first three years they make another ?395 profit for selling you a car.

Sounds a bit like the extended warranties scam on electricalls that make huge profits for the likes of Dixons & Comet to me.

The servicing deal might be OK, but as Steve has already said it'll be on the stealer's terms & it largely depends on the mileage you do..........

·
Registered
894 Posts
Fixed price servicing package (with maintenance & tyres included) can be a good deal.

Depends obviously on the mileage you do per year & what you were quoted mileage wise for the ? 300 per year.

A set of replacement tyres for the GTi on 17s would cost about ?160 each tyre including fitting/valves/balancing.

Again depending on your driving style as to the likely mileage you'll get (15,000/18,000 miles on the fronts ?).

Servicing at ?300 a go sounds steep to me but it depends in what part of the country your dealer is located.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to have to contradict you Med 3, but if you shop around you can easily get a pair of quality (Bridgestone, Goodyear etc) 225/45 R17 tyres fitted for around ?160 inc'.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've gone for the 18's on the wheels so tyres I'll be getting are 225/40/18.

I should be doing around 8k miles a year as work is only around the corner.

So looking at it I think the Fixed Price servicing is no use for me really.

The tyres I expect to last 2 years as I won't be tracking the thing or driving it like a buffoon. They say it'll be the choice of the dealership on what make of tyres so for all I know they could replace with some budget ones!

Pads should last quite a while.

And I've also had a look at that click4gap website. The cover there is half of what the dealer is quoting!

Think I'll leave both of them and just go with the flow.

He was painting a very convincing picture on the GAP insurance about him having to claim twice in last 5 weeks as his daughter got done up the rear in a brand new Polo.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I took the GAP purely for piece of mind, as I've got my GTI on 18k finance (!).

I laughed at the servicing thing - I couldn't work out within the three years of any gains over it other than forcing you back to the dealers. The tyre offer in my opinion is a joke, if you get a puncture you're not covered and you cough up - that thing is wear/tear only.

As for tyre prices, I'm sure I've seen F1s on mytyres.co.uk for about 106 quid a pop (18"), and you could probably do better in other places too [:)]

C

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
as his daughter got done up the rear in a brand new Polo.
saucy !! Personally, I won't bother with either. I bought a new BMW 3-series sport 2 years ago - they offered GAP ( "your car costs ?30K , sir" ) and i turned them down. A waste of my pennies. As previously said, if you are doing 20K+miles pa, then the fixed service is worth thinking about but for 8k pa, I wouldn't bother.

I've just had the 1st service on the BMW - it cost about ?225..thats less than a tenner a month!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

1) Fixed Price Servicing - roughly ?300 a year but can pay my monthly D/D. Covers replacement of tyres and most wear and tear items (brake discs and pads etc)

2) GAP Insurance - they will cover the difference between what you get from insurers and what was paid for the car originally. One Off fee of ?395 for 3 years cover

I thought the servicing cost was around ?200 a shot but he seemed to think its closer to ?300 (which is more that I had imagined!)

I will not even consider discussing these 'products'. I am buying the car and that is it. The servicing scam is the biggest rip-off of them all. Are you seriously thinking that you will spend significantly in excess of ?1,000 in the first three years of ownership? The first service will not cost ?300, it will be nearer to ?200 and will, in all liklihood, be needed 18 months after you have taken delivery of the car. You will probably not need tyres at this point unless you drive like a complete lunatic. If you drive 20,000 hard miles a year give it some thought but, at best, put the equivelant amount of money in a bank account each month, after three years you can decide on what to buy with the several hundred that will probably be left after you have paid for your servicing and consumables.

By way of example our Audi A4 was new in April 2004, this week it had its first service which cost ?245 (this is the only money we have spent on the car apart from insurance, petrol and screenwash). The tyres have 5mm left all round and the brakes are 20% worn. The car is driven fairly hard (although it has only covered 14,000 miles) but we do not anticipate spending as much as ?750 on it in the next 16 months considering it will still be warranty covered throughout that period.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
A set of replacement tyres for the GTi on 17s would cost about ?160 each tyre including fitting/valves/balancing.
You should give serious consideration to shopping around a little for your rubber - you could save a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark V........ you're views is an excellent summary of why I shouldn't take this on.

And on that note.... I'm gonna leave it well alone!

Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sorry to have to contradict you Med 3, but if you shop around you can easily get a pair of quality (Bridgestone, Goodyear etc) 225/45 R17 tyres fitted for around ?160 inc'.
Hi Ali-Jay,

Thanks for that, where did you get a quote for ?160 for a pair of Bridgestone Potenzas 225/45 R17 tyres fitted ?

The cheapest I found after ringing round the usual outlets was ?285 for two.

Your help would be appreciated as I don't like being ripped off ! [Y]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts

I will not even consider discussing these 'products'. I am buying the car and that is it. The servicing scam is the biggest rip-off of them all. Are you seriously thinking that you will spend significantly in excess of ?1,000 in the first three years of ownership? The first service will not cost ?300, it will be nearer to ?200 and will, in all liklihood, be needed 18 months after you have taken delivery of the car. You will probably not need tyres at this point unless you drive like a complete lunatic. If you drive 20,000 hard miles a year give it some thought but, at best, put the equivelant amount of money in a bank account each month, after three years you can decide on what to buy with the several hundred that will probably be left after you have paid for your servicing and consumables.

By way of example our Audi A4 was new in April 2004, this week it had its first service which cost ?245 (this is the only money we have spent on the car apart from insurance, petrol and screenwash). The tyres have 5mm left all round and the brakes are 20% worn. The car is driven fairly hard (although it has only covered 14,000 miles) but we do not anticipate spending as much as ?750 on it in the next 16 months considering it will still be warranty covered throughout that period.
Mark - as per Chungster - brilliantly put mate, nice one! [y] [:)]

C

·
Registered
132 Posts
Definately go for GAP insurance if you want peace of mind. I don't understand why people have been dismissing it as a scam for people to make money. Yes VW will make money on it but shop around, you'll probably find it half the price online and issued by the same underwriters.

I have Return to Invoice GAP. So if my car is written off for whatever reason I'm safe in the knowledge that I will get ALL of the money I paid for it back, even in 3 years time. Otherwise I'd just get the current market value which even after 6 months is a hell of a chunk off of what I paid for it given what some dealers have offered me!

Good places to get a quote are http://www.surfandprotect.com/motor/gapinsurance/ and www.click4gap.co.uk

The only time it may not be worth your while is if your insurance company offers a 1st year new car replacement.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi Ali-Jay,

Thanks for the internet site info. but I thought you were able to get those Bridgestone Potenzas through normal outlets two for ?160

Johnsons don't do Bridgestones.

Micheldever don't seem to offer an internet service from their depot in Winchester.( at least you can't order )

Mytyres. co.uk do them for ?91.50 each but by the time you've messed about arranging for the courier receipt, hiked them to a tyre dealer paid a fitting charge, valves, wheel balance & old tyre disposal charge it wouldn't be worth the hassle to be frank. Ok I suppose if you've got the facilities or a mate in the trade.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Med 3, Bridgstones might not be on their site, but Johnsons definitely do Bridgstones because I bought some from them last year - they'll virtually get any tyre you want.

Kwik Fit & the like will still fit the the tyres if you get them mail order. Otherwise Mytyres they have fitters all over the UK - still works out a lot cheaper

·
Registered
67 Posts
I took out "RTI" (return to invoice) gap insurance, when i bought my GTI 3 years ago for ?20,000, it was an import and a saving of ?4,000 off UK prices...

I was paying ?10 per month for 3 years... (?360 for peace of mind for 3 years) its a shame i cant extend it, i suppose my car has lost half its value now, if it was written off....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Thanks for the positive comments chaps!

Regarding GAP insurance - I would not tar it with the same brush as the 'fixed price servicing' scam, however you should bare in mind that most major insurers will provide a replacement brand new car if your new car is written off in the first year. They do not make a big fuss of this but read the small print and check with your insurer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts