Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a proper vw spoiler and my bf just sprayed it for me, now we went to fit it with the glue which they supplied but by the morning it was hanging off.

i was wondering how can we fit it?

i did a search but couldnt find much.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
How did you spray the spoiler? Was the paint baked on or at least properly cured for a week or so? I would expect the glue needs to be reasonably warmed as well to cure properly and not left outside with no pressure on it and allowing damp/condensation to mix in?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi siloflex is what my spray shop used to fit my R32 spoiler.

Try a good paint supliers like LIVERMORES by the HAFOD SWANSEA!!!

They should have some there!!

Joolstdi

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sprayed the spoiler myself (i bought my boyfriend a compressor with air gun for xmas)

It came with a siloflex look a like glue (that black stuff) but werent half as good (obviously)

we painted the spoiler on sunday!

Jools - i bought the lacquer and thinners from livermoors u reckon they will have the glue there?

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi Bec they should have some in livermoors, If not Halfrads in LLansamlet sell some epoxy glue from the good old USA

called JB weld or AUTO WELD tensile strenghth from 4000psi up to 10000psi.

They have different strenghs and have a 25 year guarante, but when you but in on it needs to be clean and dry in a garage!!

And tape it down with thick masting tape and don't touch the car for 24 hours.

Its not the best weather to fit it at the moment a bit to cold for the glue to go off.

Anyway Did you have the spoiler with the cut out or the anniversary/R32 spoiler

Cheers joolstdi.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I sprayed the spoiler myself (i bought my boyfriend a compressor with air gun for xmas)
You bought it for yourself really, didn't you, go on admit it [;)]

Did you give the paint time to properly cure/harden though, it takes over a week unless you somehow heat it up, which is what's done at the factory or in a professional bodyshop.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah the spoiler has that little thing cut out for the aerial, pretty cool lol

it was only ?38 on ebay.. primed! bargain lol

i painted it last sunday and stuck it on monday so i didnt let it dry lol (im impatient and wanted it on there and then lol)

i went to halfords in trostre in llanelli and they were useless... they said go to a bodyshop and ask them. thanks lol

so i think i will get that siloflex or whatever its called off esp for ?13 hopefully that will do it grrrr lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
The stuff is called sikoflex and will definately do the job[Y]. It's a right pain getting it off your hands (and anywhere on the car you don't want it) so be a bit careful.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi bec inuff said for the trostre store.

Try the swansea (RIPSPEED) store next time they really know their stuff there!!!!!!

You had a real bargain on your spoiler!!!

JUST Remember the advice from PAUL G "Be very careful with it"

It is very messy stuff!!

cheers joolstdi

·
Registered
181 Posts
i know you want answers and not questions, but may i ask where u got the spoiler from... ebay link if possible... or sellers name, im looking to buy one...

i would be really gratefull if u could post some pics up or just email them to me...

thanks in advance (hope u get it bonded on)

Edit : Just re-read ur post sounds like you have brought an orginal vw one i thought it was a replica. If its a replica ten id still like to see some pics.. thanx

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well ive ordered that glue off esp-design and had a ?1 off cos im a club member on another forum, bargain lol

i should have it tomorrow, esp are awesome with delivery

hope i get it stuck on this time

thanks everyone who has given their advice, i will post pics when its finally on

aaah troublesome - i had it from a bloke with a shop called prima online or prima sport, cant remember the exact name. i dunno if he had any more of them. i thought i had a bargain cos they were going on there for ?50+

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i fitted the spoiler today... thanks guys for all your advice

here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stubby aerial is next on the list... its so big the one i have now lol

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi bec it look's really good.

Looks like a good paint job!!!

What stubby aerial are you after!!

Is it a small black one!!! If so Halfords do one for ?12.99.

But watch out for those speed bumps in swansea.

see ya joolstdi

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
those speed bumps in halfords carpark are a joke, at first they were only on the side u came in, but people were probably going around it, now they are on both sides, all the way in grrr

its such a harsh bump [:(] even if u go over it slow. yeah i will get one from halfords, whats ur signal on the radio go like?

·
Registered
308 Posts
We are trying to get ride of them for customers.

A few guy's have had there car damaged in the last week!!

We will having a RIPSPEED X store in Swansea before may.

I have got the std ariel on my golf i have been told that the signal is not to good on the short ariel's

but you should be able to pick up the WAVE!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I thought the original spoilers were bonded on with a sort of double sided tape.  Guy on Vortex took his R32 one off and you could see the tape on the bodywork.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have some wurthz or something bonding stuff not sure if it is sikoflex ..but what is the std trying time for this stuff as i have no garage...advice...it is to bond a flush fit window spoiler on a bora

1 - 18 of 18 Posts