Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got my new wheels and the are all ready to go on. I don?t want to spend any more money to get some one else to get my car in the air and fit the wheels... will I be safe to use the scissor jack to jack each corner up and change the wheels? I have a trolley but I read that you cant use these. I was thinking of using both scissor and trolley but just using the trolley lightly on the circles near the wheels just in case the scissor gives way. any help please,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

myk3<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
824 Posts
I use a trolley jack on mine only and never had any problems! Use it in the same place that your scissor jack 'locks' onto, I have had no buckling of the metal lip so far,so I'll keep doing it that way [:)]

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Hi there i would prefer to use the trolley jack as i find them much safer as long as you position it on the correct jack points ,

there's no need to pay someone else to change ya wheels over ,

it just like changing a wheel if ya get a flat or when ya take your wheels off to give them a good clean [:)]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there i would prefer to use the trolley jack as i find them much safer as long as you position it on the correct jack points ,

it just like changing a wheel if ya get a flat or when ya take your wheels off to give them a good clean [:)]
yes i no but i get realy weard feeling when i use these trolly jacks!!! they feel like the car will give way. i also would not risk jacking up on the seel as allot of people complain that they may bend... thanks for the fast replys keep them coming :D

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I have a trolley but I read that you cant use these.
Yes you can, no problems. I used one on the Bora all the time, much
safer than the scissor jack (also known as the widow maker).

Axle stands help too, 2 ton jobbies cost me ?9.99 from Halfords IIRC.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You can easily use the trolley jack with a block of wood at the front, make sure it makes contact with the ribbed behind the sill (and as close to the sill as possible) at the front jacking point.

The backs a bot more tricky, and no one has said 100% where its best to place a trolley jack. But if you look under the car inbound of the rear jacking point that there is a very small ribbed area (where the scissor jacks load sits) this is too small for the trolley jack , then further in you'll see a box section piece that lines up with the rearbeam mounting, this box section will have a thin plastic disc on it. This is where the thick rubber plugs can be inserted when you use a vehicle lift. I lift the whole of the back of the car using 2 trolley jacks, one at each side and jack on these box sections on the plastic disc using a block of wood. I'll try find a picture of where i mean.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can easily use the trolley jack with a block of wood at the front, make sure it makes contact with the ribbed behind the sill (and as close to the sill as possible) at the front jacking point.

The backs a bot more tricky, and no one has said 100% where its best to place a trolley jack. But if you look under the car inbound of the rear jacking point that there is a very small ribbed area (where the scissor jacks load sits) this is too small for the trolley jack , then further in you'll see a box section piece that lines up with the rearbeam mounting, this box section will have a thin plastic disc on it. This is where the thick rubber plugs can be inserted when you use a vehicle lift. I lift the whole of the back of the car using 2 trolley jacks, one at each side and jack on these box sections on the plastic disc using a block of wood. I'll try find a picture of where i mean.
pics of under the car and where to do it will be very helpful. cheers!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

yes i no but i get realy weard feeling when i use these trolly jacks!!! they feel like the car will give way. i also would not risk jacking up on the seel as allot of people complain that they may bend... thanks for the fast replys keep them coming :D
i have only ever jacked up on the chassis or a subframe i would never use a trolley jack on the seals , just find something solid under there and ya will be ok , i use to balance the whole front of my old car with one trolley jack , and its never worried me [:D]

so if you are that unsure use both the jacks you have , but it will take just a little bit longer to do [:)]

·
Registered
586 Posts
On a side note, when you have the car jacked up, if you don't have axle stands slide a wheel under the car just incase it gives. Means the car has more chance of landing on something other than you.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

i have only ever jacked up on the chassis or a subframe i would never use a trolley jack on the seals , just find something solid under there and ya will be ok , i use to balance the whole front of my old car with one trolley jack , and its never worried me [:D]

so if you are that unsure use both the jacks you have , but it will take just a little bit longer to do [:)]
would it be possible for you/anyone to get a pic of under the mk4 golf and mark where on the subframe or chassis you would use a trolly jack. thanks allot

michael

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a side note, when you have the car jacked up, if you don't have axle stands slide a wheel under the car just incase it gives. Means the car has more chance of landing on something other than you.
i have axel stands mate but thanks for the advice ;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
il do my best to take some pics tonight not sure what they will come out like as it will be dark
cool! or even if we can get a pic like from the haynes manual that will show the under of the mk4 then we can all point out where we would use a trolly jack.

thanks allot

myk3

·
Registered
383 Posts
rear

Posted Image

i use the red arrowed areas If anyone know of any different please tell, but it seems strong enough and i've changed wheels quite a lot and left the car in the air for quite a while and the car doesn't creak or make horrible bending like noises so i reacon it's fine. But as i said before, i use two trolley jacks and pick the car up evenly so as not to twist the shell.

front

Posted Image

Lets try and get a full solution for this if possible too, as i'd like to know where to put axle stands when i've got the car in the air. I hate these new cars with crumple zones, my old mk2 was a dodle to jack up!! [:D]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rear

Posted Image

i use the red arrowed areas If anyone know of any different please tell, but it seems strong enough and i've changed wheels quite a lot and left the car in the air for quite a while and the car doesn't creak or make horrible bending like noises so i reacon it's fine. But as i said before, i use two trolley jacks and pick the car up evenly so as not to twist the shell.

front

Posted Image
this is very helpful! but i dont have 2 trolly jacks i may use the trolly jack and the scissor jack on the rear sill so it takes some load also. cheers

myk3

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've got a heavy duty jack ?60, and a little 2 tonne one ?20 from machine mart. Always worth having more than one. (plus i've got a few old ones too that i've inherited over the years).

I hate the scissor jacks, and only use them in an emergency. I've had one fail on me on a works van, and they go with a big bang with no warning!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got a heavy duty jack ?60, and a little 2 tonne one ?20 from machine mart. Always worth having more than one. (plus i've got a few old ones too that i've inherited over the years).
thats cool, but i am not going to spend any more money that i havnt got lol!

·
Registered
383 Posts
i know the feeling!! I'm saving up for deposit/ stamp duty/ fees for a house, so it's skinty time here too![:D]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i know the feeling!! I'm saving up for deposit/ stamp duty/ fees for a house, so it's skinty time here too![:D]
im going to so look forward to the out goings for a property, i mean there so cheap here in good old england

1 - 19 of 19 Posts