Anyway, last december (Yeah, I know, I've had it AGES
!) I bought Bruce's (TheChief for those of you who are relative noobies
round these 'ere parts!) old Forge smic off him and was gonna try and
fit it tomorrow myself at home (I have thursday and friday off work cos
gotta use up my annual leave [:D])

So, is this just whip the
bumper off, then take the old one out and put the new one in it's place
? Any difficult bits I might get stuck on ? Anything I might need
before I start.. jubilee clips for the hoses etc ?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Most of you who've met me will know I am at best a very basic, amateur mechanic ! [:p] Poor old dan (viperpsych) had to fit my cai for me.. [:$]

Anyway, last december (Yeah, I know, I've had it AGES !) I bought Bruce's (TheChief for those of you who are relative noobies round these 'ere parts!) old Forge smic off him and was gonna try and fit it tomorrow myself at home (I have thursday and friday off work cos gotta use up my annual leave [:D])

So, is this just whip the bumper off, then take the old one out and put the new one in it's place ? Any difficult bits I might get stuck on ? Anything I might need before I start.. jubilee clips for the hoses etc ?
Ah yes, the Chief's Mk4 - subtle hard looks, and no bling (spot on [H]!!). The only thing I found tricky when fitting mine Forge SMIC was the restricted amount of access to one of the bolts which holds the I/C to the chassis rail, due to the wiring to the pump on the washer bottle. As long as you have a decent socket set, you'll be fine!!

PS - I decided I needed a new jubilee clip on mine, as the OEM one which attached to the 'pancake tube' in the wheelarch was very badly corroded (being the lowermost to the road & spray, etc). B & Q saved the day, but if you have more time perhaps you could source a stainless set from somewhere (sorry - can't remember the diameter though....)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of you who've met me will know I am at best a very basic, amateur mechanic ! [:p] Poor old dan (viperpsych) had to fit my cai for me.. [:$]

Anyway, last december (Yeah, I know, I've had it AGES !) I bought Bruce's (TheChief for those of you who are relative noobies round these 'ere parts!) old Forge smic off him and was gonna try and fit it tomorrow myself at home (I have thursday and friday off work cos gotta use up my annual leave [:D])

So, is this just whip the bumper off, then take the old one out and put the new one in it's place ? Any difficult bits I might get stuck on ? Anything I might need before I start.. jubilee clips for the hoses etc ?
Ah yes, the Chief's Mk4 - subtle hard looks, and no bling (spot on [H]!!). The only thing I found tricky when fitting mine Forge SMIC was the restricted amount of access to one of the bolts which holds the I/C to the chassis rail, due to the wiring to the pump on the washer bottle. As long as you have a decent socket set, you'll be fine!!

PS - I decided I needed a new jubilee clip on mine, as the OEM one which attached to the 'pancake tube' in the wheelarch was very badly corroded (being the lowermost to the road & spray, etc). B & Q saved the day, but if you have more time perhaps you could source a stainless set from somewhere (sorry - can't remember the diameter though....)
Maybe that might be good to get one in then.. but typical I was just gonna ask you the diameter too ! I have got a brand new socket set.. not the best quality, but loads of bits that should be able to do the smic with ease ! i'll check out halfrauds tomorrow for the stainless jubilee clips then !

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some pics I just took.. gotta give it a DAMN good clean in the morning and try and straighten out a few slightly bent fins.. It's got this kind of white stuff over it.. wonder if it could be crystallised road salt ? The end tanks are quite oily too.. james (reflex) suggested brake cleaner to flush it through.. any other thoughts / advice ? What can I clean the metal with as it's ally will light metal polish do the trick ? degreaser to start with and then polish to follow up with ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Just fit it, no point polishing it if it's hidden away in the stock location. the white fuzz will just be a light dusting of ali oxide

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Sorry, Aluminium oxide, like rust on steel it's just aluminium that's reacted with the air. all bare aluminium will do it if exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Definatly wash it throu... a strongish detergent and hot water will be fine if you dont want to splash out on brake cleaner... just make sure that theres no huge quantaties left in there afterwards.... a wipe over with a wd40 or oilie rag after fitting will be enough outside... good luck!

Let us known how she feels after!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hey Dan,

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil, it'll just be a tiny amount from the breather system. The small crystals are just from salt on the roads up here (winter is harsh!!) Now get on and fit it my boy [Y]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it is now fitted. Took about an hour or so, maybe 90 mins, what with getting the old one off (some of the hoses required some err stimulation (ooo err) shall we say ! - but I doubt they'd been removed since the car was put together so not surprising really !) - then offered up the new ic to check fitment.. we had to drill another hole in the top fixing tab as the original ic had two bolts to secure it at the top, so drilled that and it's all now fitted.

We had to use some what Dan called "assembly grease" (I was pokin round his garage later on and realised it was KY jelly lol !) on the edges of the hoses to get em to fit onto the inlet and outlet, but once we used that, they went straight on.

Started her up to check for air leaks and any other probs, but all sounded okay. Bumper back on with the fiddly bonnet release pull tab onto the mechanism thing and then it was job done !

Drove home thirty miles a few hours later and was fine so I think it's all okay and good. Doesn't feel any different, but I didn't expect it to really cos it's only a small upgrade ! Will just be good once I get the remap. Pics to follow, I took quite a few but gotta get 'em off my phone tonight.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Wow...just read up and good on you for having it fitted + running [Y]

I would have offered to help, if I'd read this sooner (as you know I'm often towards Canterbury/Ashford) [:)]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow...just read up and good on you for having it fitted + running [Y]

I would have offered to help, if I'd read this sooner (as you know I'm often towards Canterbury/Ashford) [:)]
Cheers Faizaan ! [Y] Yeah, it wasn't too bad really, I had a mechanic friend helpin me, so that helped havin two pairs of hands [:D]

I forgot your often down 'my' way - are you still livin down here or still commuting back and forth ?

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Definatly wash it throu... a strongish detergent and hot water will be fine if you dont want to splash out on brake cleaner... just make sure that theres no huge quantaties left in there afterwards.... a wipe over with a wd40 or oilie rag after fitting will be enough outside... good luck!

Let us known how she feels after!
She feels normal really.. no different tbh. but i'm not mapped or anything, maybe i'll only feel a difference next summer.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Heehehe...I've got another intercooler idea . Commuting and staying there - bit of both [A]

"I've got a 1.9 PD 100, and although I wasn't looking to upgrade the side mounted intercooler on mine. I happen to have a spare FMIC off the new Focus ST, its basically the intercooler also used on 2.5T T5/R volvo's.

Here it is, sorry not a very good picture:

Posted Image

I'm wondering what sort of intercooler the POLO has and ST's use? As this intercooler seems to have a two hose connections???"

Maybe its a similar set up to Golf's with the 1.9 TDI engines?

Many thanks in advance and sorry for thread jacking.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
get from the dealers 2 od those self tapping like screws that hold the map sensor in to place! mine broke when i removed them!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
get from the dealers 2 od those self tapping like screws that hold the map sensor in to place! mine broke when i removed them!
Don't need it.. I'm an AGU and don't have the MAP sensor.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts