Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all does anyone know of a how to guide on changing a OEM ARB to a FK one. I roughly know how to do it but a how to guide is always useful. or can someone talk me through it.

I have everything i need. new metal droplinks, Powerflex bushes. and of course FK roll bar, (in red colour too :))

i will include pics once i get starting fitting it on the weekend.

any advice would be much appreciated

·
Registered
180 Posts
hey had mine done at the weekend by my mechanic he said it was a f***** of a job. as with the bigger hoopes it wouldnt slide out like the standard one. his solution, drop the subframe. but nooo didnt work either as mine being a 130bhp tdi its got thicker driveshafts so the subframe wouldnt drop enough so it had to come off completely. then "easy as pie job done" now the car feels good nice and tight. though he did mention my rear axel bushens are "hangen outta her".hehe. hope you got acess to a lift u'll be needing it, well hope this helps have fun mate.

neil.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My mate is a vag technician and his exact words were I couldn't pay him enough because its a c word of a job, he did his own bora one day, took him a long time on a ramp at his work, if u don't have a 4 poster don't attempt it mate, ring JBS they are fairly local to u n don't charge a lot, was only gonna be 130 odd for front AND back AND 4 wheel allignment, so for front u could prob get it for well under a ton, worth it as 4 wheel alignment will cost u at least ?50. Which u need anyway after dropping subframe.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow is it really that hard! by sounds of things what ive heard u just need to undo four bolts under the car and then the droplinks. ill have a look on the weekend see how hard it is to do. i never thought i would be able to do the suspension on my own, but did it with ease.

can imagine this being a ball ache of a job even though its a simple mod.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yeah... its just the problem of the subframe and there not really being any room to get the bar out... it is a total pig, but by all means have a go, worth a try isn't it, u can always put it back together n take it to a garage, without a ramp though its impossible.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
yup, my mechanic said the same to me about it being a bugger of a job, and kindly requested that I should never want another fitting [:D]

oh dear. I'd better not tell him I'm wanting it changed for a Whiteline soon then.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

that's mine. You can see how close to the front of the driveshaft the bar sits, and also how close it sits to the brake line bracket. It rubs regularly in both places. These pics were taken after about 2 months of use

hope they are of interest

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
change of plan, realised before i even jack my car up that its going to be a ballache to do so ive booked it in a awesome for next fri (24th) for ARB to be fitted and 4 wheel laser alignment.

bit more than what i wanted to pay but at least it will be done properly. plus with just fitting my coilovers just over a week ago at least i know everything will be set up and running smoothly.

will have to put up with rubbing for another 7 days.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Pat - Do you mean yours still rubs with the FK bar installed?? How low is it, and on what size alloys??

Im getting an FK one fitted on monday... But if its going to still rub I might buy the whiteline that goes under the shaft before getting it done!!!

Cheers, Andy [:)]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pat - Do you mean yours still rubs with the FK bar installed?? How low is it, and on what size alloys??

Im getting an FK one fitted on monday... But if its going to still rub I might buy the whiteline that goes under the shaft before getting it done!!!

Cheers, Andy [:)]
i was thinking same when i heard this but mine is only rubbing when cornering hard. Im on 19s and very low on front. so fitting this should fix the problem for me.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ok wicked! Ill get this fitted then since I already have it and hope for the best! Im on 19s too, and want it loooow!

With mine being a 1.4, I wonder if the driveshafts are slimmer? And hence less chance of rubbing?! Lets hope so!!!

[:)]

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
lads, yes it rubs with the FK bar installed. It's not the height of the hoop as the pics show, but where it joins to the droplinks that connect to the wishbone. Its a 3-4mm gap at most and you can see where it clonks on every bit of uneven road. I hate the way it sits so close to the brakelines too.

car's lowered by 50mm on 18" wheels

veedubdude, not sure about the driveshaft thickness on a 1.4, but for reference mine is 51mm diameter

as soon as I get some spare cash I'll be getting a Whiteline and have done with it. The FK bar will go in the nearest skip

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have just had a new?Anti Roll Bar fitted by Big Boy Toy, and it looked like a big job, took over 2 hours to fit. I had the same problem as you, once the car was?lowered by 40-mm, the driveshaft was rubing ageanst the?Anti Roll Bar.?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
fitting of coilovers, ARB and tracking cost me ?70
Thats a bargain, Ive got fk coilovers, & a fk arb, still havent fitted them, awesome charge ?300+ [+o(], Im not far from manchester, where did you get it done, but your mechanic probably will run if he heard anti roll bar again lol. Cheers [y]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lads, yes it rubs with the FK bar installed. It's not the height of the hoop as the pics show, but where it joins to the droplinks that connect to the wishbone. Its a 3-4mm gap at most and you can see where it clonks on every bit of uneven road. I hate the way it sits so close to the brakelines too.

car's lowered by 50mm on 18" wheels

veedubdude, not sure about the driveshaft thickness on a 1.4, but for reference mine is 51mm diameter

as soon as I get some spare cash I'll be getting a Whiteline and have done with it. The FK bar will go in the nearest skip
mmm interesting. bit worried bout this know as im paying awesome a decent wedge of cash to fit this. how do the neuspeed one compare? are the links further away?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im getting mine fitted on monday, and I plan top go as low as possible, so I'll let you know the outcome and whether it rubs! [:)]
yes keep me informed, would like to know before i go and pay ?160 to get it fitted and laser aligned

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well just thought I'd let you know how I got on... Have had coils and ARB fitted, however its not that low yet due to problems with clearance issues. As it stands at the the moment though, there's been no rubbing or knocking and I've had no probs! Unfortunately the only pic I've got at the moment was when it was fitted and in the air:

Posted Image

But I'll take a pic later of how the ARB is when the car is on the floor! Amazing change in handling, alot less wallowing, and more understeer! I think thats probably more due to the coilovers!

Hope this helps a bit! Andy [:)]

If anyone is interested in the clearance problems Im having you can check here: Clicky [:)]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts