Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just after some advice on fitting a sub and amp to my standard stereo radio tape player headunit and the single CD above.... never bothered before but i like the look of standard all same colours lights as dash and everything and looks better than wacking a single din silver HU in there!!!

ive heard about adapters? just need some advice on buying and fitting please :)

Thanks

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
you can buy an adaptor the turns a speaker input into a rca output,

i used one of these, i patched into the rear speaker and run from there to the boot, used the output to power a one chanel amp for my sub, its very good for what it is

·
Registered
138 Posts
Your probs better of replacing the head unit mate, decent head units including ipod features etc can be bough from around £70 upwards (kenwood, pioneer etc)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Head units can be bought after market with the Blue/Red illumination.

I worked in audio years ago and the main companies then (Kenwood/Sony etc) were quick at doing their standard versions out with those colour options. Not always stocked in stores but available.

Your best bet to stick with the oe stuff up front is to get an amp with high level inputs & adjustable crossover. You loose your back speakers (if you're doing it right) as those wires feed the amp instead but you get a gain control on the amp for balancing out the sound levels and the crossover ensures the sub is only getting bass frequencies from what starts out as a high level (post internal amp) full range audio signal.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I dunno if your sorted mate... but im in the same boat, wanted to keep the original headunit... i went to halfords and found a wiring set which converts it from cable to phono input/output... its dead easy to fit and only ?7.99... all you need to do is find the + and - cables (not too difficult) took me about 2 hours this morning but its sorted now and sounds wicked with a bitta tweaking on equalizer and subs =D happy days!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts