Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... after bad weather, good weather and sheer laziness interrupted play... I've finally got round to using this lot:

Posted Image

Fortunately the sun stayed behind the clouds for most of today and I managed to get the job done.

Here's a pic of how the paint looked before:

Posted Image

This was the bonnet. You can see the marks in the light where the mongo valeter buggered up the polishing. These were on the bonnet, both doors, rear quarters and the roof.

So after a good few hours with the Porter Cable and various polishes and wax... here are the results (shame the sun didn't come back out for the photos [:p]):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm absolutely knackered... chuffed with a job well done though [:)]
Thanks to john_wintle, ChrisB, Alex @ SP and everyone else who gave advice.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
[:O] I've gota get me one of those [:O]

Very nice job [Y]
In all seriousness Jace, you wouldn't be able to tell on a car like yours. They are great for cars that haven't been polished for a while though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Polisher and the pads are from Autopia (based in the US): http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpol-kit.html

If you're interested in getting one, drop john_wintle a PM... he'll help you out. The lot with carriage came to about $190 (just over ?100 and a damn site cheaper than any equivalent from the UK)

Becuase it's from the States you'll need a 110v transformer, cabling and socket...
You need:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...=73851&ts=85702

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...ll%26homeRef%3D

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...=52613&id=19947

Which altogether comes to ?46 ish

As for the polish and wax type stuff... this is what I used:

Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze - ?14.04
Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish - ?15.40
P21s Paintwork Cleanser - ?9.99
Klasse All-In-One Polish - ?19.99
P21S Carnauba Paste Wax - ?17.99

As for machine polisher vs. hand polishing... the PC did the job much quicker, using less product and gave much better results (in my opinion). I won't be going back to hand polishing again [:)]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Can I ask, Did you do this all in the street/on the drive or was it behind locked garage doors ??

I already get the neigbours wispering "he only cleaned that car yesterday" & I dont want to appear to be a complete nutter with an electric polishing device [:|]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
In all seriousness Jace, you wouldn't be able to tell on a car like yours. They are great for cars that haven't been polished for a while though.
Not true [:O] I've got one and used it on my Audi which was less than 3 months old and I had cleansed, polished and wax it in that time (wax more than once) and the difference was very marked. They are a worthwhile investment. You'll be amazed at how many marks your car picks up in a very short of time. But it does obviously make a difference what colour car you have!

J.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can I ask, Did you do this all in the street/on the drive or was it behind locked garage doors ??

I already get the neigbours wispering "he only cleaned that car yesterday" & I dont want to appear to be a complete nutter with an electric polishing device [:|]
lol... I know how you feel mate. unfortunately our garage isn't really big enough to get round the car properly, so the drive was my bodyshop. This prompted the inevitable comments from the next-door-neighbours regarding 'cleaning the paint off' and other such HILARITY [:mad:]

So I had to take the abuse... revenge will be mine however when I decapitate their poodle.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I can't imagine Jaces car has any imperfections on the paint work, so can't see how it can be better than it already is.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
There is no mistaking, that is a bloody amazing result, I think you could get a close finish by hand HOWEVER the imperfections in the paint I assume now are gone for good rather than slightly rounded off and covered in wax.

My car really needs this done to it, I can get cracking results with products but the paint is slightly tired underneeth and no matter how much I SSR2 it by hand it needs that extra machine powa.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jimmy - amazing results! [Y] I went onto the autopia website and with international shipping the total comes to $237. How did you manage to score such a discount? I need a PC to rid me of the swirls once and for all....

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jimmy - amazing results! [Y] I went onto the autopia website and with international shipping the total comes to $237. How did you manage to score such a discount? I need a PC to rid me of the swirls once and for all....

Thanks!
lmao @ Jace [:D]

RS2002 - have a word with john_wintle... drop him a PM... he sould be able to sort you out with a discount code that will make the PC a much more attractive prospet [:)]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts