Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realised half way through last week that the RWYB sessions had started at the Pod again, so it was time to get on the strip for the first time.

What a blast. If you haven't been down your local drag strip you are missing out big time.[:D]

First run ever was a 15.5, which I was happy with. Best I managed was a 15.1, but I'm still struggling to launch properly. Bring on the LSD.[:D] Not unhappy with that, especially as my car has to drag the big lump that is me down the strip.

What are other peoples times?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Would have thought you could get under 15 pretty easily with your spec.

I was gunna go yesterday, but was poorly! ALst week was best day though, bone dry and quite warm!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Yeah it is good fun at the Pod. Went last year and got 16.1 in my standard 1.8t. Hoping to go soon with the 4bar remap and see the improvement.

next time you go you should post it on the meets see if you get some interest

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by simch on 07/02/2005 13:32:19

Would have thought you could get under 15 pretty easily with your spec.

Two problems prevented it:

1. Launching - couldn't get the right amount of clutch slip or wheel spin. Practice makes perfect. [:D]

2. Me. All 18 stone of me.[:I]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yep, Lost two wheels! That would have to be a bloomin big turbo to do it in a golf!!

It was on my Aprilai Mille Edwards rep. Usually 11.2s were pretty much it, but this one was abosolutely spot on, front pawing the air all the way, no backing off, spot on gear changes! I knew it was just right and actually thought it would be quicker, but I got a 10.93 at 133!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote: posted by hornetrider on 07/02/2005 16:59:11

I think, like me, he did his on two wheels [:)]

those kind of times require a sub 4 sec 0-60 capability

Mmmm spot the village idiot [:eek:)]. I'm obviousy working too hard [:(].

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Too hard on yerself MArt- (anyway, you can't call MK a village!)

I reckon we should have a meet at the next POD RWYB! When is it, 2 weeks or so!?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next RWYB is on Saturday the 19th with night runs, jet cars etc. Might be a bit busy.

They are also running on the Sunday which should be quiet. Although i might be in London that weekend.

Otherwise the 27th of Feb would be good.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote: posted by simch on 07/02/2005 18:05:52

Too hard on yerself MArt- (anyway, you can't call MK a village!)

I reckon we should have a meet at the next POD RWYB! When is it, 2 weeks or so!?

Na true... but I live in one of the villages on the outskirts. Meet up at Santa Pod sounds a good idea.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Quote: posted by simch on 07/02/2005 18:05:52

Sounds good.

I have put a link in the shows section for aprils gti sprint day if you guys are interested [^]

·
Registered
459 Posts
My best time last year @ the pod was a 14.6,which was my 4 run,my first time was 15.4,on the 6th run i got a 0.3 reaction time and also shatterd both my cv's on the o/s driveshaft![:(]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by glen1.8t on 07/02/2005 22:12:09

My best time last year @ the pod was a 14.6,which was my 4 run,my first time was 15.4,on the 6th run i got a 0.3 reaction time and also shatterd both my cv's on the o/s driveshaft![:(]

wounded!!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
At the Bug Jam I saw a guy do a 25 secs in a VW camper van once! it was hillarious though, cos he nailed it off the line, the back door flew open, and all his camping stuff started falling out all over the track! Camp stoves, sleeping bags, even his mate was hanging on for grim death!

The crowd went wild for it, biggest cheer of the day!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts