Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm Scott, I've not longed turned 18. I live in the West Mids and I am in the process of passing my driving test and I was looking at getting a Mk4 Golf 1.4 for my first car. Is that a good choice for getting decent insurance?
I will be doing my Pass Plus as well, just wondering if there were any specific insurance groups to get quotes from and if anyone knows of any for sale around the Birmingham area? Preferably under £2,000 if possible.

Cheers,

Scott.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My sister has the 1.4, goes well but i believe the 1.6 would be the better choice if you can afford the insurance. Sister had problems with the throttle body which i beleive is a common fault (idles low and erractic), apart from that its been fine. If you do the pass plus I beleive it'll help, insurance is so expensive these days I feel for you mate. However your lucky you can even afford a car, good luck for the hunt.

·
i love to ski, its so relaxing
2,365 Posts
my mate is in the same boat as u but he's 17, he's looking for a 1.4 but did a quote on a 1.6 and its only a few hundred quid more, but 1.6 only do 5 door! But yh 1.4 or 1.6 is probs best :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
i got my 1.4 golf when id just turned 18 in march last year, insurance cost me £2000 3rd party f+t but on my own so ill be getting my years no claims at the end of march :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
the advantage to the 1.4 is its cheaper to tax aswell as insure, the lad at work is paying 2k a year on a N reg corsa, he pays more a month than i do a year, its wrong, my first car cost 1k fully comp

i feel sorry for anyone just starting out driving its cost so much just to get legal

·
Registered
171 Posts
makes me laugh when some insurance companies want to charge you £10k for a 1.4 golf.
yeah i agree but the way they see it is said person in there 1.4 golf could hit a 50k merc and write it off, im sure they see new drivers as a licence to print money

·
Jetta family.
911 Posts
Gutted mate, i paid £4800 on my first 1.4 golf at 18[:S] But i was told yesterday that my renewal is going up by 33% and thats without telling them i got points for parking on zig zags. Being legal is rediculous, but i'll always be it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts