Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up, Formula 1 testing at Silverstone (GP) again next Monday and Tuesday.  All advertised F1 test sessions are free of charge for public entry, viewing is restricted to the Luffield area only.  Test sessions run from 09.00 - 13.00 and 14.00 - 17.00. Anyone thinking of going?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Wish I lived closer than 150 miles away ! :-(

How gorgeous does that new Mclaren look in Autosport ! Lets hope it goes as well as it looks !

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
How gorgeous does that new Mclaren look in Autosport ! Lets hope it goes as well as it looks !
But apparently the mercedes engine is now the least powerful,

i'm wondering how the new V8s are gonna sound in the flesh..

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I may go Tuesday depending on the weather forcast.

I'll get a chance to see if the new camera (FujiFilm S5500) is better at taking F1 shots.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
But apparently the mercedes engine is now the least powerful,

i'm wondering how the new V8s are gonna sound in the flesh..
I hope they don't lose too much of that piercing howl. Sends shivers down my spine that does !

Mario and Paul (or the Ilmor people) used to turn out the most powerful engines a few years ago. How times change.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

To anyone planning to venture there on Monday - don't bother.....the Monday test has been cancelled. Tuesday still going ahead though. [:(]

·
Registered
438 Posts
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

To anyone planning to venture there on Monday - don't bother.....the Monday test has been cancelled. Tuesday still going ahead though. [:(]
Oh well! Didnt really fancy much more driving after this last week anyways!

Peter

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weather for tomorrow has slightly improved: sunny intervals, max temp of 4C, wind speed of 17 mph and moderate visibilty.

I don't expect many teams to attend mainly because the tyres won't be warm enough to do any significant testing . So I guess there will be limited shakedown work and of course a few runs from the Super Aguri to access the new bodywork package. Midlands F1 should also be there as well. If all goes well, I shall be there in the morning.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
So, April is here, and the Test Days are next week! Who's going? I should be there on Wednesday.

Read somewhere that there's no food on sale! Surely can't be right! Anybody know for sure?

I've seen reports that everyone but Ferrari have confirmed, but I reckon they will have to come too, just to get the set up ready for the GP.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most likely to be Tues for me if not then Weds. Food-wise, there's normally just one overpriced burger van parked outside the Luffield corner so most people will be better off bringing your own sarnies.

As for teams, it's still too early to confirm but I guess the usual suspects will be there, e.g. Midlands, Super Aguri and Renault.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Close source reveals that the teams (possibly) attending will be:

Renault
McLaren
Williams
BMWSauber
Midland
RedBull
Toro Rosso

Still too early to say to be honest.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'll be there on wednesday!

Hopefully there should be a good day and Im hoping its dry unlike the last two i've been to!

Peter

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am planning to go on Wednesday. I remember hearing that at the last test you could join the 'Silverstone racing club' as a day member for about ?10 and get a center/paddock transfer. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Hope the weather is good - looks like it may be mostly race drivers on Wednesday according to some posts on the ten tenths forum!

Al

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I am planning to go on Wednesday. I remember hearing that at the last test you could join the 'Silverstone racing club' as a day member for about ?10 and get a center/paddock transfer. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Hope the weather is good - looks like it may be mostly race drivers on Wednesday according to some posts on the ten tenths forum!

Al
Al, You may well be able to get a transfer to the centre/ paddock, but don't expect to get any nearer to the "action". The F1 area at the back of the pits is well fenced off, and I'm sure that security around this will be pretty tight. There are some good viewing spots inside, but no closer to the track.

Now, being older than most of you, I can remember when you could stand on top of the pit garages and watch all the action below. Yes, even at F1 events. Those were the days.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going on the last day for me.  Hope there will be more teams attending this time.  FYI, access to the paddock/pit areas are pretty strict during the day except during lunch time 1300-1400 and obviously after 1700.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts