Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok then.

It's that time of year again.

Here is a pro's and con's list on fireworks, can you help me decide as my "swede" is "baked".

PRO's

1, Jonny Chav will spend his disposable income on fireworks instead of "House of Wicked innit" bodykits or at least the inevitable purchaes will be delayed.

2, Jonny Chav (younger) who hasn't got his Corsa yet will spend all his disposable income on fireworks instead of alcopops which will mean less youths loitering outside, spitting on the pavement and causing trouble.

CON's

1, They annoy me.

2, They scare animals.

3, Any normal Chav like activities are only temporarily put on hold.

4, The "Hosue of Wicked Innit bodykits", although sales may be slow use the quiet time to design yet more horrific fibreglass crimes against machinary just in time for Jonny Chav to put them on his Christmas list to Chantelle his girlfriend.

Please air your views or add pro's and con's so that we can all form a balanced opinion.

It would be particularly interesting to hear from Jonny Chav, his dad or Chantelle but really nice to hear from the "House of Wicked bodykits innit" on how sales are effected and also on how the design side of things is going ?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
'Proper' fireworks I don't have a problem with. By that I mean display types and ones which make a decent show.

I wouldn't waste my money on them but its good to watch. I really can't undertstant the sort that go out and spend £100 on something that lasts all of 10 seconds.

The bangers are just completely pointless and should be banned imo. Thankfully my dog doesn't bat an eyelid.

I spent last new years at a mates house with our then gf's and his family. As 12:00 rolled up we went outside and watched their neighbours display that they must have spent hundreds on. When it was all over we shouted thanks and went back inside. More fool them!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I think fireworks should be limited to organised displays only. I saw the first lot of this year go off tonight and no doubt they'll be going off every night for the next 2 weeks.

It's not fair on people that have animals and they are also lethal when in the wrong (or even right?) hands.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think fireworks should be limited to organised displays only. I saw the first lot of this year go off tonight and no doubt they'll be going off every night for the next 2 weeks.

It's not fair on people that have animals and they are also lethal when in the wrong (or even right?) hands.
Agreed. Firearms and explosives are limited to licenced users so why arent fireworks?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The reason why fireworks is going off tonite is probs due to diwali.. (festival of light) just let some of mine off... paid some silly money but damn was it worth it.. was sending echo's through the sky's oh yeah and making some pretty colours lol

Sat [y]

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The reason why fireworks is going off tonite is probs due to diwali.. (festival of light) just let some of mine off... paid some silly money but damn was it worth it.. was sending echo's through the sky's oh yeah and making some pretty colours lol

Sat [y]
Ah - wondered why there were a few going off tonight! The dog has been trying to hide all night!!

Outside of organised displays, I find fireworks can be a complete nuisance, especially when living in a city. My worst memories of the weeks leading up to 5th Nov was when I was a student in Southampton - there were contantly bangers going off in the street, leaving me wondering if the local oiks had put a banger under my car for the fun of it, or some other unfortunate student!

Recently, I went to a summer bbq hosted by one of my work colleagues - we were requested to bring a bottle and a firework. One of the recommended fireworks shops was Star Fireworks in Bracknell - who supplied the fireworks for the end of Big Brother! Big firework dul bought, and upon arrival at the party, there was a small arsenal of fireworks! It was the best display i have seen outside of a professional event, but a rocket did end up in a pine tree at the end of the hosts garden, which went up a treat (given the dry summer)!

The fire brigade were called, but weren't surprised at all by what had happened! We fully expected to be told to stop letting the fireworks off, but they hosed down all the other trees and told us to carry on!

Made me wonder about the cost that fireworks cause the services every year....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Fireworks are a good thing, definitely. Anything can be bad in the hands of someone irresponsible. Some chav near me drives round in his shed of a Saxo with a 20inch exhaust on it all day and night, but you don't see the police or anyone for a matter of fact trying to stop him and that's as loud as any firework and it's every day!

They might cause a nuisance and scare animals but it's only a few days a year...(Doesn't thunder scare animals anyway, what's the difference). I hate the way the country is going. We can't do anything without someone moaning. It really winds me up. For example, people saying it was racist to put up St.George flags during World Cup, WTF?!

Besides, I bet more than a few of us can put our hands up with messing around with fireworks when we were younger anyway?! It wasn't even three years ago I used to be setting them off with my mates! lol

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
They should be restricted to organised displays only.

It may only be a couple of days a year but its the fact that they start going off as soon as the shops start selling them. They have been going off since the end of September round by me.

My g/f's dog hates them and paces around the house and up and down the stairs and sheds hair like you wouldn't believe (greyound). We could put up with it if it was just one weekend a year but the chavs insist on buying the cheapest, loudest fireworks they can find which do nothing more that annoy people and scare animals.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think that they should be restricted to organised displays only too, or that you should have to apply for a license to have a firework display. I dont particularly care that it is disturbing for people who own dogs, or other pets for that matter, that is not a good enough reason for stopping firework sales, my biggest problem is the kids that get hold of them. I have been on the recieving end of kids throwing fireworks, I also remember one occasion when I was working with a mates dad and we were driving past a particularly scabby estate, when a kid poped out of nowhere with a 6' length of drain pipe and fired a firework at us through it.... then there are other instances where people have fireworks shoved through their letterbox etc. They are dangerous, and anyone who says otherwise is not being realistic, another problem is the number of illegal fireworks that enter the country and find themselves on sale, these are not saftey tested and are usually packing more explosive (for a bigger bang) etc.

I am not some 'Lefty, do good, spoil sport' I just think that at this point in time a large part of our society is no longer able to control what their kids do and as a subsequent result fireworks become weapons in the hands of mindless youths.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Yup! That most probably was the reason! [Y]

We started doing some last night, but then rain stopped play! [:mad:] (same as what happened last year! Maybe its a sign! [:(])

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have been on the recieving end of kids throwing fireworks, I also remember one occasion when I was working with a mates dad and we were driving past a particularly scabby estate, when a kid poped out of nowhere with a 6' length of drain pipe and fired a firework at us through it....
Anything can be as dangerous as a firework mate. If fireworks were banned I can guarantee that kid would have just thrown at brick at the car instead. If fireworks got banned kids would still be out on the streets drinking, mugging, stealing cars and burning them out and another anti-social behaviour. Why should some kids in rough areas spoil it for all my friends and family who want to hold their own fireworks party?! Like I said before I bet a lot of you have mucked around with fireworks when you were younger anyway.... Fair enough not lobbing them at people etc but we have all had a muck about, I know I have, it's part of growing up and being a teenager!

Surely if shopkeepers didn't sell them to people under 18 there wouldn't be a 'problem'. I just hope a firework gets put through their letter box, that would stop them trying to make a quick buck!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Veering off topic slightly, ct.p and Dave J, as Maidonians you should
go down to the organised display by the river in Cookham - it's always
really good, they have a mahoosive bonfire and then you can turn round
and watch all the other organised displays going on! (Cliveden etc)

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Sales should be restricted to a week before 5th Nov. Period.

The local ASBOs started on their public displays on Sat night over our way. By that I mean on public roads and areas...

At least they havent started throwing them on buses like they used to lol! Yet...

Cheap fireworks that make alot of noise. The common garden chav is easily pleased.

With a bit of luck one of them will blow his hand off and put my local blazin squad off their new found seasonal hobby...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Anything can be as dangerous as a firework mate. If fireworks were banned I can guarantee that kid would have just thrown at brick at the car instead. If fireworks got banned kids would still be out on the streets drinking, mugging, stealing cars and burning them out and another anti-social behaviour. Why should some kids in rough areas spoil it for all my friends and family who want to hold their own fireworks party?! Like I said before I bet a lot of you have mucked around with fireworks when you were younger anyway.... Fair enough not lobbing them at people etc but we have all had a muck about, I know I have, it's part of growing up and being a teenager!

Surely if shopkeepers didn't sell them to people under 18 there wouldn't be a 'problem'. I just hope a firework gets put through their letter box, that would stop them trying to make a quick buck!
Yes in the right hands im sure anything can be dangerous with the right application, but that is taking it out of context, I am pretty confident in saying that had the kids not had access to fireworks they would not have made a bazooka at which to fire rockets at passing cars; they would not have resolved to throwing bricks at the car. On the flip side of your argument you say that shop keepers should not sell them to people under 18, and yet you state that you have mucked around and been 'a teenager', so on that note you should be well aware that age restrictions do not mean anything! Unless you played with fireworks etc etc but waited till you were 18 before buying your first pint (assuming that you are allowed to drink alcohol).... or to smoke etc.

Perhaps like I said in my first post, that if you want to have fireworks at a party then you should have to apply for a license, anyone caught setting fireworks off without one would be fined etc, just a thought as it clearly there is a 'problem'....

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
fireworks- absolute waste of money. rubbish, anoying and especially when people go ''ooooo'' ''aahhhh'' ''wow''

why? there rubbish. end of [:D]

·
Registered
728 Posts
They should be banned for sale to the general public. The are (well everything already said above). Organized displays are there, safe and controlled.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Totally agree. I dont mind the odd few, but more often than not its not being in a warzone, and then you get the rocket shells coming down into my garden, and where my car is. A few times I've had them actually go off in the garden near the car before, dont know if it was on purpose or an accident though.

Thats the other thing, how many chavvy idiots get hold of them and launch them at people/cars/houses etc. for "a laugh"?? [:mad:]

And then there's the b*******ds that tie poor little hamsters to them, thats just unbelievably cruel IMO [cry] - they should have the same done to them!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
We get several firework injuries in at work over this period, most of them (suprisingly) are young nike-clad lads who have decided to hold a roman candle (i think they're the ones that fire several balls in the air one after the other?) and fire them at people / each other. I saw one kid of 15 who lost 2 fingers and permanently damaged the other 3. The most rediculous one though was a kid after watching Jackass where steve-o put a firework in his arse and lit it, the same one where they tie a piece of string to the firework and the other end to their unmentionables! (quite funny but you dont think 'err yer i might try that') Anyway he put a rocket in his mouth and lit it instead of it firing up into the air it just exploded in his face he had 1st degree burns all over his face and neck and most of his body was burned, he'll be deformed for life. What an idiot, who puts explosives in their mouth?

I agree with most of you, fireworks should only be sold to people with ID over 18 or 21, or if your planning to have your own display, maybe have some kind of lisence so that if any injury occurs out of idiocy the lisence holder will get the blame.

I do think that fireworks are kewl and really its a tradition for bonfire night, so as long as they're done by someone who knows what they're doing and has the resposibility to ensure proper safety and security.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts