Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here Clicky

Need to get it if your on one ... if your still using IE get rid now.... Firefox 2s inline spell checket works ace on the forum... and when opeing new windows they open in a new tab automatically...

Oh and you can close the browser and re-open with all tabs saved...

BIN IE it really is so old and rubbish

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even though I wrote checket instead of checker.... and yes the spell checker is awesome...

Gonna bump this till you all convert[6][;)][:mad:][8-|]

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've just downloaded it after reading this thread and to me it seems slower than IE on this site.

Can someone please point out the benefits to a complete newb to firefox........ other than the spell check which seems ace [:)]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tabbed browsing, lack of exploits and popups (no spyware in 14 months of use...) easy to clean history... not funding Bill.... nicr interface?

feature requestes followed up?

I could go on .. the reason its slower is probably a lower spec machine and opening new windows as against tabs for new pages

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hmm it does look nicer and bill has enough wedge as it is.

My machine is fairly old think its an Atholon (that aint in the spell check[:p])1.4 but it does have 1gig of ram, is this too low a spec to run firefox at a resonable speed?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
seems very similar to the old firefox, except the icons look more up to date!

got to say though, i'm totally converted to firefox! way better than IE in every way, except some compatability issues!! See there are add-ons available already! some dont work though!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Been using this for a year or so now, if you don't use it then get it...

and if you already have it then have a look at the add-ons you can get...

Started using Foxy-Tunes last week... very handy and unobtrusive..

[Y]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
With regards to the above post firefox being slow loads pics faster with firetune

But, anyone know if I should run firetune with the new browser?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been using this for a year or so now, if you don't use it then get it...

and if you already have it then have a look at the add-ons you can get...

Started using Foxy-Tunes last week... very handy and unobtrusive..

[Y]
Been using firefox 1 for a year I assume... 2 only came out yesterday...

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Firefox is loads better than IE though I think IE7 will overcome some of the differences. There will be some things that bug you but some configuration tweaks or an add on usually solves it.

Just a heads up. I couldn't get the in-line spell checker to work until I realised I had to download an English dictionary for it (right click in a input box and s elect languages > add dictionary). Fantastic feature.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Firefox 2.0 is good but some sites don't like it, even ones that worked with earlier versions so you end up having to revert to IE. If you are new to firefox there are some plugins which are a must, the ones I recomment everyone to install are...

Adblock Plus - Stop ads from appearing, eg google ads

CookieSafe - Allow better control of cookies

Ctrl Tab Preview - A nice way of navigating through your tabs using Ctrl Tab and a little preview window

CuteMenus - Makes things look nice

IE Tab - a must for those sites that refuse to work with Firefox

NoScript - gives control over what sites can use scripts

There are loads of other cool extensions and themes but those ones are the ones that I always install first.

Chris

·
Registered
936 Posts
thanks for those add-ons Captain, all look very useful [y]

If anyone hadn't figure but using the middle button to click on a link opens it up in a new tab, probably the most useful thing I read a found months ago.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Fire Fox is good but the only problem I have is viewing FTP sites.  Does anyone know how you can use this, I'm sure you can it proberly just a little check box.  PLEASE help me with this then I can use it every day, rather than chopping and changing between FireFox and IE7

1 - 20 of 40 Posts