Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mow got round to sorting a spare wheel sub for the V5.

It encolves using the inside of the spare as an enclosure. Its a V6 Space saver also so it gives me more rome above it.

I cut the 18mm MDF to fit in the wheel well and with a hole for inside of the spare.

Posted Image

I then lined the spare with carpet and then masking taped over it. I did this as i will be coving the box in carpet and just the tape and fibre glass would have made it too tight to wrap in carpet also....allways thinking..[:eek:)]

Posted Image

I then covered the tape with resin and hardner mix to produce a sticky base then layed on the fibre glass and well....fibre glassed it inside and over the edge of the wood.

Posted Image

and have done about 3 layers so far, but have run out of Fibre glass.

Posted Image

Then put a heater in the boot and have left it....

Posted Image

What you all think so far ?

Matty

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Quick question hom much space is left above that board of MDF to the boot floor?

Very good so far, I need to get the fibreglass out shortly and mould both sides and probably my wheel well as well.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a few more layers have been added, and a big layer of resin put over it as well to help seal it. Just got to do the same to the undersite and then start to build the rest. Will ost a pic of the progress so far 2moro.

Matty

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here it is so far. Its in my garage. Has been given more layers of FG and has now been lined in the inside with dynasheild. ( spray sound deadening ) to help give it a softer surface inside.

Fair bit more to do, but its getting there. [:D]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i filled it with a water and it hold 19 litres, which aint bad.

Matty

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got quite alot done today......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The boot pics have the wood jut resting, but since then, ive put together most of it. Just got to get some HUGE screws and more resin and herdener to help deal it up.

What do all think ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice, but being the retard that I am, v6 space saver?

i take it its some "smaller" spare found on v6s.. if so how much would one cost, and is it just a pop in to the stealers for one, or would i have to "order" it specially from somewhere?

also, if its "smaller", does it rattle around in the spare well?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its narrower, 125/70/18 i think !!!!! I got it from a breakers for ?50 inc tyre, its 90+vat from the stealers just for the wheel !!!! I fits the same. Same rolling radius you see.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts