Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Finally got it!

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  DirtyDogIRL 
#1 ·
Picked up my 1.6 FSI today after a 15 week wait!

Laser Blue, Sports suspension, fog lights, 3spoke leather s.wheel, storage pack, armrest, luxery pack & TomTom Go!

18" BBS CH, colourcoded skirts and tints to come!

[:D] They had the GTI demonstrator there and it was the one my brother ordered and cancelled. When I noticed that my bottle opener was missing [:(!], he got the one out of the GTI for me! Probably makes it faster now! [:eek:)]

#6 ·
Its superb! Sports susp. is a must for a mk5. Its road presence and ride are excellent and I absolutely love it!

I wont post any pics yet as I am sure you all know what a 3door golf looks like, but come the end of the month when the BBS are on it, I am heading straight for the "sexiest mk5 in Britain awards". (should cause quite a stir)

#10 ·
Quote: posted by Flex on 04/01/2005 20:35:12

I wont post any pics yet as I am sure you all know what a 3door golf looks like, but come the end of the month when the BBS are on it, I am heading straight for the "sexiest mk5 in Britain awards". (should cause quite a stir)

Can someone explain this obsession with 3door cars? I personally, think that they look pretty naff and much prefer 5dr versions of practically any car around. Apart from the inconvenience of 3drs to anyone trying to get into the back seats, the two entrance doors have, by necessity, to be very large and long and this puts extra strain of their hinges. Do you really think that 3dr cars look better?? Less rattles I suppose and fewer doors for the burglar to force...........hmmmmmmmmmmmm

[;)]

#11 ·
Well its all about what you want from the car.

I dont have kids, I dont go all over the place with loads of people/luggage so 5 doors arent needed. 3 doors look more sporty IMO and to be honest, 99% of all the mk5s I have seen have been 5 door.

I cant see the point of people carriers but maybe I should ask a mum with 3 kids and a dog [:p] I guess it boils down to taste vs necessity

#12 ·
Quote: posted by Flex on 05/01/2005 09:40:05

Well its all about what you want from the car.

I dont have kids, I dont go all over the place with loads of people/luggage so 5 doors arent needed. 3 doors look more sporty IMO and to be honest, 99% of all the mk5s I have seen have been 5 door.

I cant see the point of people carriers but maybe I should ask a mum with 3 kids and a dog [:p] I guess it boils down to taste vs necessity

I don't have kids, never had etc. Need to take people in the back about twice a year etc. etc. IMHO 3Dr cars look unbalanced (something missing?). As you say "I guess it boils down to taste.......". Still prefer 5drs though!

To be honest,I really haven't seen that many Golfs on the road and I live in S.London although they are increasing in number, slowly!

My neighbour (three doors away) has a 3dr GT 2Litre FSI and 2 grown up kids, who've flown the nest. Say no more.

[:D]

#14 ·
Quote: posted by marvin on 05/01/2005 09:26:02

Can someone explain this obsession with 3door cars? I personally, think that they look pretty naff and much prefer 5dr versions of practically any car around. Apart from the inconvenience of 3drs to anyone trying to get into the back seats, the two entrance doors have, by necessity, to be very large and long and this puts extra strain of their hinges. Do you really think that 3dr cars look better?? Less rattles I suppose and fewer doors for the burglar to force...........hmmmmmmmmmmmm

[;)]

I always like 3 door cars better, I really think they look way better. The only reason to buy a 5 door is if you often have people in the back.

They look sportier and according to TopGear magazine reviewing the 5 door GTI the chassis is stiffer [^]

One of the biggest reasons though is that they are ?500 cheaper[:D] Eh, no Scottish jokes please you b*stards [B)][:D]

#16 ·

[;)]

Totally disagree, - 3 door cars IMO look far better, especially the golf. The extra doors make the lines of the car less smooth and it looks more cluttered. Plus on the golf the 5 door has a rubbish looking 3/4 type window, - i.e it is not a single window if you know what I mean.

Apologies in advance for all you 5 door owners out there, - don't mean to offend!! [:)]

#17 ·
Quote: posted by Black V5 on 07/01/2005 10:06:44

[;)]

Totally disagree, - 3 door cars IMO look far better, especially the golf. The extra doors make the lines of the car less smooth and it looks more cluttered. Plus on the golf the 5 door has a rubbish looking 3/4 type window, - i.e it is not a single window if you know what I mean.

Apologies in advance for all you 5 door owners out there, - don't mean to offend!! [:)]

Oh well, I'm in the minority, then, with my opinion. I think that it an age-related thing, if you get my drift. When I look at the profiles of the contributors to these forums (and others, come to that) it seems that the majority of people are in their twenties and thirties (to make a generalisation) whereas I'm in my late sixties and have quite a different view, by now, on cars in general. Most people, again, seem to be infatuated with ultra (or very nearly so) low profile tyres which I also dislike and am quite happy with the extra 'softness' that my standard 'alloys' impart to my Golf's ride etc.

I should add that I am familiar with the term 'unsprung weight' etc and realise the advantages offered by 'alloys' in general but to my mind filling the wheel arch with a large disc of metal, showing very little rubber, is a nonsense and does nothing to the appearance, let alone the ride of the vehicle.

I feel another outcry coming on??

[;)][8D]

#19 ·
I love the shape of the 3dr's the lines on the sides are just sweet - however with a new baby (10 weeks!) it just breaks my heart swinging her in her seat to get her into the back quick release baby holder!

Thankfully i have a new 2.0tdi sport ready for collection this monday :) it cant come soon enough........[;)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.