Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, i've finally found an R32 thats more in my price range and also found someone who's offering cash for my car!

I havent got the full amount for the R32, i'm just shy of 2k short.

Question is should I go for it even though I gotta borrow a bit extra or shall I leave it and wait for them to drop in price even more.

A house is immenent so i'm a bit head in the shed at the mo!

Any opinions?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
House.....Interest rates.....[:(]

Don't get caught in the trap, on the other hand if you can get it at the right price, then there's no problems in running it for a few months[;)]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Run it for a few months then sell it on before the debt trap bites (or too much depreciation!), then at least you'll be able to enjoy it and say 'yes, I've had one....'[^]

[ducks head to avoid irate R32 owners who's cars don't depreciate[;)] ]

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would wait, they are still imo over priced the Mk V will start to drive the prices down soon, wait 6 months and you will pick up exactly what you want at a price you can afford.

Interest rates are going up, time to travel light!!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
i say buy it mate. i have one in my local dealer. its in the blue colour, sat nav, black leather, boot changer. the engine noise is sweeeeeeeet. why wait 6 months. Surely that 6 months of wanting and waiting and researching is worth a grand or so?

·
Registered
141 Posts
why wait 6 months. Surely that 6 months of wanting and waiting and researching is worth a grand or so?

This is why we have the largest amount of personal debt in Europe, there is no pacience and this buy now think later culture will always catch up with you in the end. If R32's were available for cash only they wouldn't sell many!!!

The guy says he is ?2,000 short and is thinking of buying a house, come on he can't really afford it, so it's pretty poor advice just saying "buy it" [:(]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think you have to be careful not to be *too careful*.

About 10 years ago i realised i had got into the 'over cautious' rut which was clouding my thinking.

After several 'eye opening' experiences through family deaths and close family member illnesses, i decided that i would make a conscious effort to tip every 'close' decision in favour of a 'go' rather than 'no go'.

I'd rather not lie on my death bed and think of all the regret, thanks very much!

In the case of our man here - i think 2k is a pretty small gap to close.......probably less than 10%.

90% of the deal is already there - it's not exactly a mile off!!

For anyone who says we buy cars for an investment, i would strongly recommend you get your head read.

So very few cars appreciate in value over time......mainly classic cars - and they cahnge with the wind anyway.

Yes, some cars depraciate at better rates than others - that's true.

My advice - hammer the deal to the floor - get the lowest price you can.

Beg or borrow money from friends or relatives if you can and pay them a few quid for the priviledge.

Search for the best loan rates going and ensure you avoid arrangement fees and early repayment penalties.

Above all, do a little fore-planning to see where you're money's going over the next 3 years or so, and then check likely cash-in value vs. collateral of the proposed purchase at key points thru the term.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Foxy.

I'm taking all points on-board and still havent made my mind up. I dont really need a new car, as many of us on here dont, but this is our hobby/passion or whatever you want to call it.

Thing is with this situation, your always gonna have plenty for and even more against.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Personally I would do it but my personal situation is probabley a little different.

The fact you are asking and have added in about the extra money and the house kinda implies to me that you can't "really" afford it, as in yes you can find the cash but would have to dip out on othe things, and wouldn't be able to get the house you want. If that is the case then the answer has got to be don't do it just yet. Wait buy your house and then sort out your finances.

J.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Why put yourself in financial struggle?

I don't think it is a good decision to rush. Just be a little more patient. You still have a fantastic car with relatively low miles, keep it in great condition and just wait a few more months. I bet once the lead-time to the new Mk5 GTI becomes closer, the salesmen will be tripping over themselves to sell you a Mk4 R32 - Despite its complete package, it is not a limited commemorative edition car, so don?t pay like it is.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wait 6 months, the wait will be worth it, if interest rates go

up you can have a rethink.

The MK5 will be a common site in maybe 6-12months, the MK4

could suffer in value after that.

Better be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Seems as though you are struggling with the passion vs prudence debate, which really only you can answer. I am just in the proces of buying an R32 and thought about waiting but cars are NOT an investment, although as others have said budget is not an issue for me either.

I would wait because in a number of short months, painful as they may be yu won't need to find the additional ?2k which should sweeten the experience even more. Good luck whatever you decide![:)]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Remember aswell the fuel costs are going to be maybe double in a '32 compared to your TDI. Hmm.. The interest rates thing is a good point too, I'm getting ready to have to find a hundred or two extra a month when my fixed rate finishes.

On the other hand (usual fairly irrational head back on) if I was you I bet I'd buy it and sell it if money got tight! [:D] It will be cool.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought mine less than a month ago and still wonder if I did the right thing, - until I start the bugger up that is! [;)]oi

People are right to point out that you should take into account the running costs though, I got a shock going from a 330d averaging 38

mpg to about 24-25mpg in the R32, but hey it's so cool, and I guess like people say if it does become too much of a struggle you can sell it again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts