Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided on a core [:D]

Posted Image

Its in the mail, dunno when im going to have some downtime with the car to get the pipes sorted though.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a kinetic motorsports item built around a garret tube and fin core.

Going to use an ibiza top pipe i have, a 42 draft map bung and a local fabricator will be making up the remainder of pipework.

I've wanted an fmic for ages [:D]

·
Registered
811 Posts
About bloody time Bruce!!! I still have my old pic from the install if you want any help.......

DOnt waste any more time getting it on... It makes a hell of a difference! though did it at the wrong time of year lol.... maybe UP the boost now???

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About bloody time Bruce!!! I still have my old pic from the install if you want any help.......

DOnt waste any more time getting it on... It makes a hell of a difference! though did it at the wrong time of year lol.... maybe UP the boost now???
Will probably do some logging to see if i can up the timing a bit.

The boost could be done with being upped a bit but as its already pretty fast i don't think it warrants a remap for an extra 4psi or so, maybe try an EBC tho?

You know the next time i'll be getting a remap is for a different turbo [:p]

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
well chief.

it looks like you're going to have to source a us crash bar as well. Your r32 bumper should house the core, but the bumper bar is probably going to be a problem. US bumper and bar is much deeper.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wouldn't think so Wilko, the core is about 2.5' thick (i recall) and those brackets will be getting hacked off and new ones welded on plus the bumper bar will be getting hacked up [:D]

It is custom though so any problems i come across will be recitified as they are found, it was just the core size and thickness i had to get right.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you make up the brackets, are you going to try an mount it a bit lower than they do in the kit?
Yep definately, am goin to try and get the bottom of it as low as it can safely go in the bumper with room for pipes so i have plenty of visible surface area.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phoned up my local fabricator today, "aye nick i know you don't do aluminium welding but..."

"aye we do now bud"

Booked in on the 12th [:D]

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My core arrived today and my Forge siliconhoses.com connectors etc arrived yesterday [Y]

Just got to wait for my 42 draft map sensor flange to turn up from autosystems.ie next week, she goes in a week on monday [:D]

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks lovely, just the right size for the sport Bruce......... Whens she getting slapped on then>? Is it a DIY?
Its a bit decieving the pic, its actually 8' tall and pretty wide so its a decent size.

Hopefully will do fine when i upgrade from the leaf blower [:p]

Its sort of DIY.

I have decided on the pipe run, choose the intercooler, pipe sizes, got a map flange, silicone hoses but a local guy is cutting and welding everything. If i could weld i'd be doing that too!! [:D]

If the rain stops before next weekend i'll be grinding the sh!t out of the crash bar and trimming the bumper ready for its holiday on the 12th [:O]

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got my core mounted today but i think on the turbo outlet im going to get a 90 degree 2' pipe welded straight onto the intercooler, replacing the 2.5' stub so i have more clearance on my bumper and don't have to hack the life out of it.

Posted Image

The rebar needed minimal trimming and all front end supports are still in place. I've trimmed the inner edges of the R32 bumper and it should be fine.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Got my core mounted today but i think on the turbo outlet im going to get a 90 degree 2' pipe welded straight onto the intercooler, replacing the 2.5' stub so i have more clearance on my bumper and don't have to hack the life out of it.

Posted Image

The rebar needed minimal trimming and all front end supports are still in place. I've trimmed the inner edges of the R32 bumper and it should be fine.
  1. Looks good through the R bumper mate ! [:)]
  2. I can see my new toy there too [:D]

1 - 20 of 49 Posts