Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its been a fun year, she's gone from the mild manered Anniversary to a slammed euro sceptic. Now, she's back in her B'day suit.

More pics here

She's still up for sale, had a few people come around to see here. One person has made an offer but it was too low, so I offered to meet him halfway but I've not heard a sniff back. I'm not one for playing the waiting game so I won't be chasing him.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I didnt even know it was up for sale. Could have been really interested.

You still going for the economical diesel? Makes sense (yes I know I just gone the other way!) and can really see where your coming from. Are you going for a basic TDI or something with a few more extras?

If your looking for a TDI, I'd certainly consider the 2.5 V6 TDi after driving one. See if you can find one and give it a go. Seriously does not sound like a diesel once moving. Even sitting it sounds nicer than normal. 170bhp and I was achieving 38mpg over a 90 mile drive, with a few blasts. This was though with a tiptronic box. A manual should give around 42 I should think. Plenty of poke, sounds better and usually they come with most of the extras.

Only trouble is, trying to find one, and I think they limited them to the passats and above in the VW's

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doh! Now you tell me [:p] Had plenty of interest, just people don't seem to be following it up. I'm in no rush to sell so I've got plenty time for the right buyer to come along.

Yes a diesel is still on the cards, although I seem to swaying from one car to another at the moment. Did start off with the intention of getting a Bora 130/150 Sport but after looking around I can a whole lot more car for the money (around 5k). Been looking at Passat and A4 models and for the same money I can get a lot better than a Bora. I'd still keep with the 130 unit as the insurance on a V6 TDI is a little too steep, plus its a old engine by todays standards. May try one to see what the smile factor is like, though [:D]

I've also been tempted by the *cough* Rover 75 CDT, which can be had for a silly money these days.

Are there any other VAG diesels I've overlooked? Not well up on the Octavia or Seats?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Rover 75? You'd never be happy with it surely, just because of the image your taking around with you.

The Skoda Superb would be worth looking into. On the V6 TDI note, I'd certainly try and get and either listen to one, or drive one. I was very surprised at the sound of it. I didnt quite understand how a diesel could give a V6 sound, but certainly inside the cabin and once past 2k, it does give a V6 noise. Nothing like a petrol obviously, but it's there. Good comprimise if coming from a petrol and wanting something with a bit of noise still.

I'd put it in between a BMW 330 diesel and a VW PD unit. Somewhere in the middle.

As for your Anni, was looking at them before I went for the R32 as I did have some concerns with the R, which I still do have, I have to peer out the window every half hour to make sure it's still there, and secondly, all of it is still there! The anni tones it down a bit, but is known to those in the know. However, got the R now! If your still selling it when I sell the R, let me know!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blah.. not bothered about image anymore, been there done that got the T-Shirt. As long its reliable, cheap to run and not going to fall apart then I'm happy. Don't forget I've been driving a 600 diesel for the last 18 months so I've been desensitised [:D]

Current stand point is I want a diesel for less that 5k, must be cheap to insure, service and run. There are a few Passat Sport TDI's for around 5k, need to look into the V6.

As like you, I needed to get the R thing out the system. I've also got the Euro thing out of my system now, too, so its time to move on and buy a house.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The Skoda Superb would be worth looking into.
I bought my Superb PD TDI 130 for £5.5k and I am very happy with it.

As for the other Skoda's it's all VAG so you will have nothing to worry about!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Thats sweet, I have the red 1.8t Anni as well and other than my new mk5 It's my favourite Golf ever!

What kind of prices are they fetching know?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Skoda Superb would be worth looking into.
I bought my Superb PD TDI 130 for 5.5k and I am very happy with it.

As for the other Skoda's it's all VAG so you will have nothing to worry about!!
Shoot! I didn't realise they wen't for that much... we have another horse in the running [Y]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
LOL, why you think I mentioned the superb! I was looking around for Dad when I bought the passat for him, so was kind of in the same boat as you are now. For 5.5k you'll get a higher mileage superb, but on the flip side, you'll get tons of extras.

The R32 thing for me...it's a stupid purchase, it really is, but so glad I have done it. Would never have been happy if I went and bought something else as the R is what I wanted, and have wanted for about 4 years. Doubt I will have it that long, I know myself too well. It's like my mate said 'see you next week when we go to pick up something else'...he knows me too!

Bottom on the list...You know you want to! Look at the extras your getting in that. Though I suppose the Rover 75 has a lot of extras on it.
Clicky

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First one in the list looks good [:D] Just doing a search on Passats and A4's with the V6, didn't realise it was so high on the insurance. May have to give it a miss and plump with the 130.

The 75 does have around the same kit level. But the outlet for parts is patchy hence residual prices being lower.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
LOL, why you think I mentioned the superb! I was looking around for Dad when I bought the passat for him, so was kind of in the same boat as you are now. For 5.5k you'll get a higher mileage superb, but on the flip side, you'll get tons of extras.
I bought mine with 80k on the clock but with all the service history and one careful owner what does high mileage mean these days?

IMO nothing but granted I knew the person that owned the Superb before me.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I bought mine with £80k on the clock but with all the service history and one careful owner what does high mileage mean these days?

IMO nothing but granted I knew the person that owned the Superb before me.
so you baught it for 5-6k and they gave you back £80k which was sittin on the clock [:eek:] you lucky boy lol

Sat [y]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts