Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep watching this program, in the hope it will improve but it seems it NEVER will!

I was dead excited when they said they were reviewing my new car, I sat there waiting and waiting then all they did was drive around a test track, mentioning nothing about the car!

Pointless program, trying to be Top Gear and failing miserably!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I watched 5th gear last night as well and agree completely with your comments. It was great that Vicki Butler-Henderson was on last so that I could change the channel at the 3rd break and not have to change back some time later (absolutely can't stand her).

However, there are no decent presenters on that programme. Tiff Needell is even utterly annoying now, and I used to really like him on Top Gear. Also, you can't base a car on how good it is on a track! Track days and track racing is not why 99% of people buy cars! I still remember them judging two estate cars on how fast they went round the track! How stupid can they be?!

Tim Lovejoy Who?! Never seen or heard of him previous to 5th gear but he seems to be the centrepiece of the show now, and he acts like a complete handshaker.

Vicki Butler-Henderson Completely up her own backside, ultra irritating and an annoying speech impediment.

Tom Ford Probably the oldest looking 29 year old in the UK, resembling a caveman, only a caveman would do a better job than he does.

Tiff Needell Used to be a good presenter, but is put across as some racing driver guru, only he has never won very much, so he ain't that good. Starting to be a bit up his own derrier like VBH nowadays and getting annoying with it.

Funnily, as Jace said, I laughed to my g/f and bro about watching an ancient Top Gear we have all probably seen about 20 times instead. Wish I had now.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
did you see the one t'other week where VBH tried to waterski behind a motorbike ? Lean back they said. So she went down the path, into the water, lent forward and prompty summersaulted, AOT onto her face in a muddy pond. I'm surprised she didn't break her neck. Now, THAT, was bloody funny [:D]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I dont mind VBH but Tim Lovejoy is absolutely shite. He appear to know nothing about anything and his presenting ability is laughable.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I dont mind VBH but Tim Lovejoy is absolutely shite. He appear to know nothing about anything and his presenting ability is laughable.
If only he was as good as this Lovejoy (loved that program)

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Just looking at their website, and it is about much garbage as the programme. For example look at this article on the new S3

Starting with a brief to extract a bit more clout from the already rather good 197bhp T-FSI engine, you get the feeling the engineers had a bit too much coffee and got carried away. They weren't content with a larger turbocharger, so also added a bigger intercooler to increase air flow. So far, so fair. But then they started to change internal bits of engine in their quest for more power. Imagine the reactions of the bean-counting accountants in Audi's Ingolstadt headquarters when they realised the new S3 gets new piston rings, reinforced con-rods and a reworked cylinder head. An especially impressive level of commitment when you remember that the only component changed to tune the previous S3's 1.8 litre turbocharged engine over the stock 150 bhp version was the black box computer.

Really?! So the original K03 turbo in the 150bhp 1.8T A3 was just remapped, and they badged it S3?! Idiots!! The upgrades listed above were also done on the "base" 1.8T for the previous S3 as have been done to the 2.0T for the new one. Bad journalism there, as the facts are totally wrong.

Original link here

·
Registered
674 Posts
Tim is a legend over on Soccer AM on Skysports every Sat - Ive been watching it for about 10 years and get out of bed early (9am) to make sure I watch all 3 hours. He is actually the producer of the show, so is very highly regarded within Sky.

Vicki has been a motoring journalist for years (used to be the editor of MaxPower but dont hold that against her), and is also very highly regarded within the journalism industry - when she was on Top Gear (old style) with JC there were a really good team.

Tiff - If you have ever seen him in a race car you will know how quick this guy really is - just because he hasnt won anything like F1 you say he is not very good? well you are wrong, Without any backing in the early 70's he was a front runner in Formula Ford. He went on to win many British awards until getting an F1 seat with a small underfunded team called Ensign who were, in not many words - C R A P.... The guy is a legend!

Others - Most of the others are wannabe's including Tom "CAPTAIN CAVEEEEEEEEEEEMAN"...

I think the problem lies with the production team - its THEM who tell the shows hosts what to say and what to do - Tim has definately relaxed a little bit and I do like Vik's screaming around in some motor - even the wife says she likes her and she dont like anyone! I think before we all state the "hosts" of the show you have to remember they are doing what they are paid for - unfortunately they are being paid to host a poorly put together, scripted motor show which is trying to compete with the award winning Top Gear!

I wish they made the show better, its on a Monday when there is nothing else on for starters!!!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Tim is a legend over on Soccer AM on Skysports every Sat - Ive been watching it for about 10 years and get out of bed early (9am) to make sure I watch all 3 hours. He is actually the producer of the show, so is very highly regarded within Sky.

Vicki has been a motoring journalist for years (used to be the editor of MaxPower but dont hold that against her), and is also very highly regarded within the journalism industry - when she was on Top Gear (old style) with JC there were a really good team.

Tiff - If you have ever seen him in a race car you will know how quick this guy really is - just because he hasnt won anything like F1 you say he is not very good? well you are wrong, Without any backing in the early 70's he was a front runner in Formula Ford. He went on to win many British awards until getting an F1 seat with a small underfunded team called Ensign who were, in not many words - C R A P.... The guy is a legend!

Others - Most of the others are wannabe's including Tom "CAPTAIN CAVEEEEEEEEEEEMAN"...

I think the problem lies with the production team - its THEM who tell the shows hosts what to say and what to do - Tim has definately relaxed a little bit and I do like Vik's screaming around in some motor - even the wife says she likes her and she dont like anyone! I think before we all state the "hosts" of the show you have to remember they are doing what they are paid for - unfortunately they are being paid to host a poorly put together, scripted motor show which is trying to compete with the award winning Top Gear!

I wish they made the show better, its on a Monday when there is nothing else on for starters!!!
Your opinion mate. I think the programme and the presenters both stink.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I dont understand people who watch the programme, then slag it off non-stop!

If you dont like it, dont watch it! It really is that simple! Same goes for all those people who are not into cars who slag Top Gear off - again, dont watch it then and do a "why dont you"..

But before you all think Im pushing 5th Gear, Im not - its not a programe I care about if I miss - Top Gear on the other hand is always series linked on Sky+ watched, recorded, and watched again.

Oh, and Ive been on it![:)]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I dont understand people who watch the programme, then slag it off non-stop!

If you dont like it, dont watch it! It really is that simple! Same goes for all those people who are not into cars who slag Top Gear off - again, dont watch it then and do a "why dont you"..

But before you all think Im pushing 5th Gear, Im not - its not a programe I care about if I miss - Top Gear on the other hand is always series linked on Sky+ watched, recorded, and watched again.

Oh, and Ive been on it![:)]
If you look at the original posters comment "I keep watching this program, in the hope it will improve but it seems it NEVER will!" you will see that there is a reason for the rant!

I rarely watch it, but feel it is worthy of comment, with it being a car programme, and this being a car forum, that the whole point/purpose of the programme is off the mark.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I was on the last episode of the last series. Good day. Didnt pay for the tickets, got given them by aplause store a week before the day. When i got there, in the corsa i had at the time [:$] everyone was in a masarati or ferrari, i felt a bit out of place. Also the guy said that people have been waiting months for these tickets and paying some silly prices. At wich point i said to my girlfriend in a loud enough voice for everyone to hear me, "Really? Well we must have been lucky to get these tickets for free then" lol. 1 nil to me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I keep watching this program, in the hope it will improve but it seems it NEVER will!

I was dead excited when they said they were reviewing my new car, I sat there waiting and waiting then all they did was drive around a test track, mentioning nothing about the car!

Pointless program, trying to be Top Gear and failing miserably!
Totally agree, what a load of rubbish, All Tiff banged on about was what to do at a track day with zero said about the car. It was still good to see it on the track although I'm not a big fan of the alloys on the test car, still entered the comp though !!! :)

I also watched the CRV road test with interest as I am considering getting one as a family wagon for the wife, again what a pointless review, absolutely nothing was said about how 'practical' the car may be with zero interior shots.

Fifth gear - Big disappointment, come backTop Gear.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I agree a very badly made and presented programme. It is a shame that Tim Lovejoy has accepted the job on 5th Gear, as his writing and presenting talents are usually very funny and very good. As said above on Soccer Am, which he writes and presents he is a legend, and now on Sunday mornings he presents the 'Sunday Morning Show' on BBC2 and is very good at it.

It must be the script writing team that are sadly lacking in talent on 5th Gear.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
All Tiff banged on about was what to do at a track day with zero said about the car.
This is worth noting as well. If someone was larking about doing handbrake turns on the corners during a track day like he was, and getting totally out of shape as he was, he would be getting lamped if it caused some sort of accident.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

Well said, completely agree with all you've said there. Tiff and Vicki are the two proper presenters on that show. They can both drive well and know more about cars and driving in general, than any of us, particularly Tiff. It's just a programme about larking around in cars, which essentially what many of us on here started with (and many of us still do [:D]) - It doesn't take it self too seriously so why does everyone complain about it.

If you really find it that bad, don't watch it. It's not top gear and I wouldn't want it to be, it's just a lighthearted motoring programme, that has some good drivers showing us how cars can really be driven (Tiff for example, throwing that S3 through paddock and graham hill bend at Brands) paddock is really a rather steep downhill corner and he had that audi sideways through there a few times, you don't do that without being a skillful driver. Doesn't matter what he has or hasn't won, he has a lot of respect because he is a talented, knowledgeable driver.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my major problem with the show is the inconsistency with reviews, surely a car program is about information as much as fun stuff, and for me they have the balance all wrong! Too much titting about, and not of the 'experts' telling us what they think about the cars they feature!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
All Tiff banged on about was what to do at a track day with zero said about the car.
This is worth noting as well. If someone was larking about doing handbrake turns on the corners during a track day like he was, and getting totally out of shape as he was, he would be getting lamped if it caused some sort of accident.
He wasn't doing that saying this is how you should drive on a track day, he was trying to demonstrate to amateurs who may not understand about understter and oversteer etc what will happen if you go out thinking your an F1 driver.. as the first title said "Your not an F1 driver".

The segment was about what happens at track days, it wasn't a review for the S3, hence Tiff spent a lot fo time explaining what happens at track days [:cool:]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
my major problem with the show is the inconsistency with reviews, surely a car program is about information as much as fun stuff, and for me they have the balance all wrong! Too much titting about, and not of the 'experts' telling us what they think about the cars they feature!
Fifth gear will never have as much time in one hour as tg has due to there being about 20 minutes of adverts to fit in too. TG has time do things like car darts and do proper ten minute section car reviews, too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts