Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey dude, I just ordered one off e-bay. Looks good quality and having spoken to others on e-bay who ordered the same item, they said the quality was good. I can't see stone chips being a problem on a roof spoiler and fitting issues shouln't be a problem either....will have to see.

However, when i go for the bodykit, I won't be going down the fibreglass route, because of the issues mentioned above

Not sure if that helps at all!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey dude, I just ordered one off e-bay. Looks good quality and having spoken to others on e-bay who ordered the same item, they said the quality was good. I can't see stone chips being a problem on a roof spoiler and fitting issues shouln't be a problem either....will have to see.

However, when i go for the bodykit, I won't be going down the fibreglass route, because of the issues mentioned above

Not sure if that helps at all!
Seconded ^ Picking mine up Thursday. Not worried about stone chips for the spoiler but would get a plastic kit for the rest of the car.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wicked. Are you doing the job yourself? Going to pick up all the gear needed tomorrow and have a bash at mine over the weekend. Will do a full photo step by step starting with the condition of the spoiler from scratch if any body is interested?

·
Registered
423 Posts
After reading another "how to" on the subject and ringing my local paint suppliers earlier for all the bumf I was put off by price. I really wanted to have a bash at it myself but for all the bits I needed, Primer, Spray, Wet n Dry, Lacquer and Sikoflex, it was too much for a DIY project. I rang the body shop I have used on many occasions before and he quoted me ?25. That was dependant on the quality of finnish on the spoiler on hand over. He said he had seen a lot of ebay fibreglass products that claimed they were primed and ready to spray but a lot of prep is still always needed. If it needed a lot of work to smooth and prepare then it would be ?50, roughly the price for all the bits so I am having it done by the pro's.

I will however put up before and after pics as a future reference for Dent_Reform's COPPY kits.

FAO Sope - I would suggest getting yours done down here aswell mate if you sort out postage but they mix their own paint and without having something to compare it to it couldnt be done.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here are some pics of the spoiler....... I thought it was going to be in primer..... can primer be in black ? ( sorry if that's a stupid question )
What do you guys think the quality looks like ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
423 Posts
Andy (Dent_Reform) drove a long way yesterday to drop off my fibreglass R32 spoiler and I couldnt happier. I have in the past seen some very dodgy looking fibreglass replica kits but was pleasantly surprised. We offered it up and the fit was spot on, perfect. It was finnished with a thin layer of primer however it does need a little work in order to prep it for spraying but this was to be expected. I dont think you will be able to get a fibreglass part from anywhere where extra prep work isnt needed and having never seen Andys work before was expecting worse tbh.

At the mo the spoiler is in a body shop. The guy who is doing the work is an ex Merc sprayer and has his own place now. He said it needs smoothing and an extra coat of primer and it will be ready to spray and fit. Its more of a hobble for him and as he is busy at the mo I am taking the car in Tuesday morning to have it fitted. After 8 hrs I will be able to drive it home so should have some pics up on Wednesday [Y] Cant wait.

Spoiler = ?50
Spray and fit = ?25
Me = [:D]

·
Registered
406 Posts
nice one mate, mines in for painting too, picking up Wedensday/Thursday and leaving car there overnight while the glue sets etc. Will post pics on Friday hopefully..... don't forget to post pics too!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
damn, ?25 to spray and fit?!!
I wanted to get one of those roof spoliers off here too, but he wanted ?24 for the paint and ?70 for the spaying - just on the spoiler. Way over my budget!
can your mate spray them up to order?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts