Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffs, urgent gearbox help chaps!

57 views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  CB1 
#1 ·
typically the day my car decides to stop working just so happens to be a bank holiday!

drove the car 40 miles today, just as i reach my destination can't find reverse, move along the road to turn round and then lose 1st & 2nd.

then reverse comes back for 2 mins and so on.

basically the car seems to have had an issue recently that most times i start the car it doesn't actually engage the gears, i have to put it back into neutral then gear again and off I can move.

now I'm going to try the gear linkage again, but is there anything obvious this is pointing to?

it's a refurbed gearbox 140k miles ago, original clutch (185k miles) and when i released the clutch the car jumped forward (does this mean the clutch is ok still at the moment, even though i'll need to replace)

any help appreciated.

i'm based between Aldershot & Guildford atm if anyone knows of someone/garage that can look at it asap!

cheers

Chris

See less See more
#6 ·
had the AA out, basically looks like the top lever has lost it's teeth and not gripping the spindle coming out of the box properly.

he's bluffed a "fix" for now, ie have all 6 gears, just not reverse.

hopefully should see me right for the next day or so until i can get it to a garage (unless it fails in a minute!)

so is this an easy fix does anyone know?

#8 ·
right i "think" it's called the weighted shifter is stripped on the inside where it goes over the transmission spindle so isn't "grabbing" properly.

the AA man has bodged up a metal plate over the top to kind of clamp it in place temporarily.

#10 ·

basically it's the part in red the toothed hole (that goes on the toothed spigot that comes out of the top of the box) is practically worn down to nothing so wasn't gripping anything, the bit in the blue is just a piece of metal that the AA chucked on to try and cinch them together.

#16 ·
moose - cheers for help and advice over text the other day (even though my phone was playing up - even got a text from you @ 1:20am! lol)

basically the AA bloke put the shifter back on, not straight, i took it back off put it back on straight, now i have ALL gears bit notchy as it's not aligned properly.

went to do the link adjustment, but the bloody hole in the gear stick has something snapped in, so i put it into the "home" position with my girlfriend holding it in place (so not spot on)

so will get one of the new shifter levers and see about drilling out the "Home" position hole and realigning it.

still need to take it to a mechanic though for an all over look moose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.