Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fence has come down in the recent high windows we have been having in Yorkshre (with more forecast for Thursday). Does anyone know of any where on the web where I can view boundaries to see who owns the fence? I have checked the Land Registry and they have various searches ranging from ?20 through to ?90. Anyone know of any cheaper sites to visit?

I have asked my mortgage lender if they will provide copies of the deeds but they won't as they are copy protected. They said I have to go into my local bank branch and ask them to request a copy of the deeds for me to look at. This could take weeks, was hoping for a faster outcome.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I've got the same problem[:(] I got my deeds out the other night to check on a dispute we've had with our neighbour about parking [:mad:] and whilst I had them out I checked on the fence, and unfortunately it's mine[:(]. Apparently there used to be a rule of thumb that you owned fences that were on the left of your boundary, but that's not worked in my case, so I'd check it out. If you get on with your neighbour then ask if they'll go 50/50. I don't (especially since his outrage the other night over parking), so I'm going to have to foot the bill myself.

When I first bought the house I received a copy of the deeds. It was a very poor photocopy, but at least I have it. If your mortgage company won't copy it for you, ask the solicitor you dealt with when you bought the house.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
we've got this problem as well, the neighbour told us its actually our responsibility (the deeds don't say) but she's happy to go 50/50 on repairs

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Like I said though, that doesn't always work.  My fence that needs replacing is on the right of my boundary and my neighbours left, but the deeds say it's mine.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
as for the to the left theory what happens whe you live in the righthand end terrace? lol [;)] lol

just get it fixed, try and go 50/50 afterall you both benefit from the fence regardless of ownership

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I was always on the understanding that if the fence posts were on your side then its your responsibility.

According to my deeds I own both the fences to the sides of my garden but one night I came home from work and the neighbours had replaced their side for me. Didn't bother me that they didn't ask about it as I got a brand new fence for nothing, and a decent one too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts