Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

what do you reckon of this? Can you still tell it is a modified car? Don't forget it is a 1.6... it is lowered!

Some red caliper poking through:
Posted Image

Posted Image

sitting quite low:
Posted Image

Need spacers?:
Posted Image

175 wide tyres!!:
Posted Image

What you reckon?

·
Registered
106 Posts
There's something wrong about the tailgate, but I cant put my finger on it. Is it te VW emblem ? is it just way to big ? I say take the thing off for a much cleaner look.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Sorry Rye, looks stupid to be honest, but I never liked Tab's either (steelies that is).

How people think this looks good is beyond me mate! Not having a go at you, I'm sure you will get some positive comments later. Just really cannot see the point of this. Like I say, we may aswell take a hammer to our bumpers too and stick some duct tape around the car!

Looks at the size of those tyres!

Your car was looking really good with the alloys on, especially in the flesh.

[N]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Spot on Graham.

Our cars are there to be driven and enjoyed to their full potential.

How the hell can you smile when you see your car looking like that?

Id have to stick a bag on my head when getting in and out.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Those steelies are way too small imo. Needs 16s like Tabs.
But if you are gonna whitewall 'em then it will look better as it will
break-up the blackness like Chaz's example.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Personally, i think you should stick with the sig pic version mate! That look suits your car so much more Rye! [:)]

Besides, i simply can't see what the fascination is with steelies, they look absolutely awful. Now maybe that's just my taste but IMO MK4's look their absolute best when wearing 18" & 19". That way they look as good as possible! [Y]

To me, the idea of wearing 15/16" steelies is as ridiculous as running 20's! [:$]

That's just my opinion obviously and some won't agree, but frankly i've seen one too many posts this week about steel wheels... It's starting to do my head in! [:'(]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Spot on Graham.
Our cars are there to be driven and enjoyed to their full potential.

How the hell can you smile when you see your car looking like that?

Id have to stick a bag on my head when getting in and out.
Me too, lol, I'd find it really embarrasing personally. Like I say, not having a go at peoples tastes or anything but even hub caps look better black steel wheels.

We ridicule ebay cars and then look what people seem to be doing with theirs on here...thats 4 people on the forum that have done it now [*-)]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys, maybe I should explain the story [:$]

My plan was to wash my car, dry it, and while it was thoroughly drying I was going to take the wheels off, wash and wax them, tyre blacken them, clean the interior, clean the glass, wax the car, clean the arches and calipers and then put the sparkling wheels back on!

Let's just say I ran out of time! By the time I had waxed the wheels, it was getting dark. Too dark to be fitting wheels really! Also I figured, why put my sparkling wheels back on as I won't be completing the job until next weekend, they will be dirty again! So I decided to keep the steels on for the week! My lovely RS4s are sitting in the garage all waxed and new ready to put on next weekend after I have waxed my car!

So why did I post images of my car with steels??

1. To see if you could tell if it was a modified car still
  2. To see just what you thought as I have to drive it like that for a week
  3. For a laugh [:p]

Sorry guys!! hehe [;)]

Yes, I think it looks awful too! This is not a direct dig at anyone running steels by the way [:S]

Rye[:$]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
hmmm i dont see the point of winter wheels? i can understand anni owners wanting to put winter wheels on as it is a knowen problem for the anni wheels to mess up, but otherwise i cant see the point?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
There's something wrong about the tailgate, but I cant put my finger on it.
It's lens distortion. The MkIV's rear end is very easy to photograph in a way that makes it look wrong. Most people shoot from a distance that fills the frame, and if you've got a fixed focal length lens as in most phone cameras, they tend to be quite wide angle. Hence the bulbous look.

If you have a typical consumer camera with zoom lens, stand much further back so that you have to use about half the zoom range to fill the frame. This will give you the optimum sharpness (all but the most expensive SLR prime lenses and super-quality zooms from the likes of Carl Zeiss do not have the same sharpness at the zoom extremes) and minimum geometric distortion.

Only use wide angle at close range if you are doing an extreme angle for the Max Power cover pic style.

Posted Image

Rye: You've lost the plastic cover for your rear tow eye.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmm i dont see the point of winter wheels? i can understand anni owners wanting to put winter wheels on as it is a knowen problem for the anni wheels to mess up, but otherwise i cant see the point?
These aren't winter wheels

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's something wrong about the tailgate, but I cant put my finger on it.
It's lens distortion. The MkIV's rear end is very easy to photograph in a way that makes it look wrong. Most people shoot from a distance that fills the frame, and if you've got a fixed focal length lens as in most phone cameras, they tend to be quite wide angle. Hence the bulbous look.

If you have a typical consumer camera with zoom lens, stand much further back so that you have to use about half the zoom range to fill the frame. This will give you the optimum sharpness (all but the most expensive SLR prime lenses and super-quality zooms from the likes of Carl Zeiss do not have the same sharpness at the zoom extremes) and minimum geometric distortion.

Only use wide angle at close range if you are doing an extreme angle for the Max Power cover pic style.

Posted Image

Rye: You've lost the plastic cover for your rear tow eye.
I'm certainly no photographer... But my camera is not a phone! 5.2 Megapixel Fuji. Dunno what I did wrong. You say I should stand further back and zoom in?

The plastic cover was never there.. maybe I should get one.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think they look good [:D] White wall the buggers!
lol you would say that! [:p] I think I'll stick with my alloys [;)]

Can doing wheelspins harm the car in any way other than wear the tyres out? [:$] lol not that I would do that [:^)]. It is quite easy to do with these crappy tyres!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Probably just wear your clutch out if you slip the pedal too much... Not like you to be doing that? Hanging round with Irf too much - you naughty cruiser you! [:p]

They take a bit of getting used to thats for sure (the tyres not Irf lol!)
Oh right best not do it again! [:O] I wouldn't dream of doing it on my F1s!!!!! But I figured these 10pence tyres I don't give a damn about.. and it made me laugh seeing the reaction of this old man as I screeched out of the junction! oooops [:$] HEHE.. I feel like a 17 year old again.. My clutch is brand new.. best not ruin it.

Nah not been hanging with that clown! ha... He is a mad man!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts