Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right OK. I thought this is a very simple one, but obviously not. So, ten points to whoever can tell me what the below markings mean on a road....

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/images/sign218.gif

Posted Image

Can I just reitterate the highway code, in relation to Rule 150, applicable to box junctions.

150: Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see Other road markings section). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.
So what part of MUST NOT ENTER THE BOX UNLESS YOU CAN CROSS OVER IT COMPLETELY WITHOUT STOPPING ie must not stop on a yellow criss cross box junction at ANY time do people not comprehend (in relation to roundabouts)

Am I the only one that is sick of ignorant wankers who will not observe or do know the law?? At least twice a day I find myself on the horn educating people by lip reading and hand gestures, who have taken it upon themselves to block my right of way, and at least half the lessons involve me getting some sort of abuse for my trouble from people who think they are not in the wrong or I am being unreasonable...

Not only is it ignorant, it is illegal to stop in a marked box section. I believe it is punishable by fine. So anyone who does will continue to get my abuse, sitting on the horn and hand gestures. If you do it, then you are a tool. You are blocking a flow of traffic all because you cant be bothered to give way and would rather not risk losing a place in the queue....

And relax lol.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I completely agree, this bugs the hell out of me. I think people drive on in case the traffic lights change & they're stopped by them whereas if they're ignorant they move on as soon as the traffic in front moves. It's just pure selfishness, they could be considerate but they don't because it might save them a few minutes if they're c***s

·
Registered
586 Posts
150: Box junctions. ............However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.................
Not only is it ignorant, it is illegal to stop in a marked box section. I believe it is punishable by fine.
Small contradiction there but I agree with what you are saying.

·
Registered
246 Posts
150: Box junctions. ............However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.................
Not only is it ignorant, it is illegal to stop in a marked box section. I believe it is punishable by fine.
No, what it means is (in the example given), the car in the left hand lane should not go on the yellow paint until there is enough room in front to leave it but if they're in the right lane doing a right, they're allowed to go on the yellow while they wait for a gap that they can cut across

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hence why I put the in relation to roundabouts in brackets. My problem is with plicks who block roundabouts bringing every other junction to a standstill...

They put the boxes there to aid traffic flow in peak hours. Then you have waynekerrs who think they are exempt because they want to get somewhere marginally quicker, at the expense of making many others journeys longer...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It makes you wish that you were driving a tank or something and could just shunt them off the road, or that it should be maintained by people with RPGs, I have amended the diagram accordingly lol..

Posted Image

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ROFL excellent

I would suggest naming and shaming on camera phones, but thats illegal, plus I wouldnt like it on my conscience if someone got a beating by some nutter.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
ROFL excellent

I would suggest naming and shaming on camera phones, but thats illegal, plus I wouldnt like it on my conscience if someone got a beating by some nutter.
What makes it illegal?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
It makes you wish that you were driving a tank or something and could just shunt them off the road, or that it should be maintained by people with RPGs, I have amended the diagram accordingly lol..

Posted Image
PMSL very funny. I hate it when people do this on a roundabout. Thats the beaut of having a van, you can speed up to them, slam on your brakes and give them an inch between their nice new BM and my TRANSIT. Are you bloody blind you f****** berk, they dont put that thing there to mka ethe roundabout look pretty!!!!

Carl [:D]

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
ROFL excellent

What makes it illegal?
Using a phone in any capacity while driving?
gt ur passenger to do it [:p]

i think i wouls run out of memeory on my phone lol

this post is sooooooooo true, and also hillarious

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
ROFL excellent

What makes it illegal?
Yes of course I didn't think of that was more thinking that you were reffering to privacy laws or something like that.. .DOH!! [:D]

edit... can you tell im bored at work!!

I stuck a transit in for you Carl, and realised that I had missed the traffic light camera as well....

Posted Image

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
This really annoys me as well. On a roundabout, people shouldnt even stop if there isnt a yeelow box though. I get it quite a lot in bristol, where peopl jsut stop and block off one of the junctions, so that noone else can move.

I had a bloke in a BMW X5 the other get about 2ft onto the yellow box, and then stop so i couldnt get through. He must have known what he did because he wouldnt look in my direction. I just beeped my horn at him a few times as there was nothing behind him, and in the end he moved out of the way

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
ROFL excellent

What makes it illegal?
Yes of course I didn't think of that was more thinking that you were reffering to privacy laws or something like that.. .DOH!! [:D]

edit... can you tell im bored at work!!

I stuck a transit in for you Carl, and realised that I had missed the traffic light camera as well....

Posted Image
LMAO!! I've been stuck on a first aid course all day and thats brightened up my evening to know end [:D]

Love the rocket launcher btw - more junctions need them.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Roundabouts are different to yellow boxes, I dont have a problem with stopping on roundabouts if there is no yellow box, I just push my way on and off I go...   I wouldnt mind an X5, especially the V8! hmmmm   Chelsea tractors aren't that bad... would rather have a Cayenne Turbo though 

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
In Aberdeen, there is a rule, drive in the right hand lane at all times. This includes when there is nothing in the left lane, when you plan on driving at 10-20mph less than the speed limit and when you intend to turn right in 10 roundabouts or 10 miles time, whatever comes first. This is enforced, mostly by muppets in 4x4's and women in small engined "sporty" cars.

That makes (illegal) driving down the left lane so much quicker for those who wish to make good progress [y]

[/Sarcasm mode off]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BigI - there is a couple of flaws in your diagram

Firstly, the Transit is not blurred. Everyone knows a Transit would hit a junction at at least 120mph, even in rush hour.

Secondly, whats the point in cameras when the transit would be so dirty the plates and signwriting would be unreadable lol

Come on mate, everyone knows Transit drivers are exempt from normal traffic laws...[:p]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts