Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go... [;)]

No seriously, I'd like to say thanks for the support that you guys have shown for the COTM competition in nominating other users and posting photographs to the theme threads. As always January is a busy time so is written off for administration, so now I'd like to hear any feedback on the way the COTM has been run for the past 2 years...

What do you think has worked well, what has worked not so well, how can we keep interest high throughout the year and any great ideas or suggestion for change in 2007. This can be minor tweaking of the way it works just now or a major overhaul, but please keep in mind the question of how it would practically be put in place.

Thanks have to go to Gadget Shop for sponsoring the competition - last year we gave away prizes totalling over ?210 which is not too shabby for a club that doesn't charge for membership! Not to mention the cost and time of posting these out to our winners - big thanks to golfturbo for arranging that and I hope this will continue into 2007.

That's enough from me - now, what do you think?

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody liked or disliked anything about it? Great!! There'll be no complaints if it doesn't run, or if it does how it's set up this year then [:D]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
its gotta run, but i was happy with it, good for inspiration, nice to have one that everyone could enter like the photo challenges too, but i think someone should win this too, no prize necessarythe glory will be enough!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
i cant pick a fault. i love car of the month. and love the photo challenge. DONT CHANGE A THING

i have got a new camera so will be joining you this year.whens it gona be starting up then cat? feb?

gray

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad a couple of people enjoyed the way it was run.

All critical feedback welcomed so we can make this better

In both years this has previously run, there has been a surge of interest at the start of the year with activity tailing off towards the middle and end of the year. It was a real struggle in the last months to get nominations for cars to be shortlisted and voted on... are there any ways to improve this and sustain interest through the year, do you think?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I dont know about others, but I find I often forget about the category being there... I love the way its run and everything like that, but maybe it needs more actual advertisement on the site? Im not sure how this could be done... maybe a poll constantly on the side like the 'most frequent poster' or 'unanswered topics' showing a poll for that month that people can vote on right there, or will take you through to the main thread?

For example I didnt realise when I first joined the site there was a COTM comp - but if it was right there, I would click on it!

Anyways, a big thanks to all that run it at the moment - I think its superb! [Y]

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
881 Posts
I dont know about others, but I find I often forget about the category being there... I love the way its run and everything like that, but maybe it needs more actual advertisement on the site? Im not sure how this could be done... maybe a poll constantly on the side like the 'most frequent poster' or 'unanswered topics' showing a poll for that month that people can vote on right there, or will take you through to the main thread?

For example I didnt realise when I first joined the site there was a COTM comp - but if it was right there, I would click on it!

Anyways, a big thanks to all that run it at the moment - I think its superb! [Y]

2nd that [Y] I like looking at the COTM too but always forget about it!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I am not on here as much as I used to be, but one thing that seems to crop up more so than not is the question of how to make the car go faster.

How about doing a competition for various engine guises with points given for condition of engine bay, number of modifications, bhp gain per ? spent, actual bhp/torque, 1/4 mile times, mpg etc etc. Perhaps a little subjective, and potentially open to the old rolling road differences and white lies, but it would give the SDi drivers and R32 drivers equal chance.

Or, as the MK4 gets cheaper, and more and more people are able to afford them, and that their budget is perhaps more limited, how they can modify or maintain their car for the smallest amount of money.

Or, an idea of the month - Lots has been discovered about the various guises of cars over the years, but now and again something new comes up. This may be better for the Mk5 though.

Or, there are the wings west stylee people with Chrome Wheels, Eyebrow/BadBoy Bonnets, Euro Smoothie look, Square Offset number plates, Lexus Lights, Big Body Kits and spoilers. To many of the old school, this was all strictly banned (some of the older members perhaps recall this), but it is becoming more prevalent and as much as many (myself included) can't stand any of it, a lot of people do. How about non-oem style mod of the month?

Or, how about non MK4 Golf cars - a lot of members have moved on car-wise and still come here despite no longer driving a Golf.

Dunno if people would take any more notice, but it may retain some interest. Perhaps people just dont care....

[/?0.02]

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Idea of the month sounds good, as does unique mod of the month. But please keep the COTM running (even without prizes) I have got sooo much inspiration for mine from looking at the nominees and hope to be nominated once my car done, (one day!)

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Great ideas there, thank you [:)]

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great, thanks for the feeback Allen

How about doing a competition for various engine guises with points
given for condition of engine bay, number of modifications, bhp gain
per ? spent, actual bhp/torque, 1/4 mile times, mpg etc etc. Perhaps a
little subjective, and potentially open to the old rolling road
differences and white lies, but it would give the SDi drivers and R32
drivers equal chance.
I'm not sure about this one... maybe I'm failing to see how an SDi / 1.4 etc driver can compete against modded GTis when we're looking at bhp, 1/4 mile stats etc? Most smaller-engined drivers don't bother modding their engines too as it's pretty pointless, so that would exclude them straight away. Would be worth considering as a theme one month though, if that's what you mean?

Or, as the MK4 gets cheaper, and more and more people are able to
afford them, and that their budget is perhaps more limited, how they
can modify or maintain their car for the smallest amount of money.
I like it [Y]

Or, an idea of the month - Lots has been discovered about the various
guises of cars over the years, but now and again something new comes
up. This may be better for the Mk5 though.
You mean like a unique mod? I think all of these would be great as monthly photograph themes... not sure if they could be sustained as a theme over the year though?

I think that given the backlash there was against monthly categories for the actual competition we would probably avoid that sort of scenario again...

I know what you mean about the non-mk4 drivers, might have a think about how to do something separately for them as it's not really about their car any more in that case...

Cheers, lots of ideas there [Y]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Videos would be cool tho, of cars sliding round corners or whatever :p on private roads of course! I dont think u can scrap car of the month still, i always wanted to win it lol, sad as is sound :p

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it's fair to say that COTM is not going to run at this point!

Sorry to disappoint, it seems it was a small minority who enjoyed it

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
I know that we are now 7 months into the year, so why dont we have a go at doing just a Car Of The Year award? Show and shine style? We all vote for the person who we think has the shinyest (sp) or most show worthy car? Maybe no prize in it, just have the title of C.O.T.Y?

Maybe we could start a new thread now to think about ideas or even mini ideas and have a few awards for 2008?

Paul

1 - 20 of 23 Posts