Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried or used Whiteline anti roll bars? www.balancemotorsport.co.uk are selling 22mm adjustable rears for ?130 and fixed 22mm rears for ?115, it'll save a bit of money if you can't be bothered to wait on Eibach and can't afford to shell out for the Neuspeed, combine it with the FK big hoop front and i would think it's a bargain.......???? I'll report back after they're fitted on Friday... ;-)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nice find mate!! Been after one myself for ages but not prepared to pay for a neuspeed. I've just placed my order, ?150 all in for the adjustable one. Shall give reports when I get it

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Don't know anything about them but they look OK. It's a bent bar of metal with some fixings at the end of the day. Anything has to be an improvement on the axle as it is!

I would buy fixed and have done with it. I've had Neuspeed adjustable and H&R fixed. Happy with both. Get a front bar too if you can - makes a big difference.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Welll got my bar fitted to my car, just need to get it setup now.

Reflex, need some help, the bar came with no instructions so I'm not sure which hole is for which setting. On the blade there are 4 different holes, at present it is set on the second one (which is closest to the bend in the bar if that makes sense??), I know you've had adjustable before so any ideas which one would be best to use??

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Uhuh. That's a messier fitment than the Neuspeed, which uses a longer bolt through the damper onto attach to a rose-jointed connection to the bar. None of that box-section. But I'm sure it's fine.

Adjustment....... The closer you put it to the axle, the stiffer the bar would be. With the Neuspeed 25mm bar it had three settings and I put it in the middle one and never felt the need to change it.

So you have yours on a stiff-ish setting (3 out of 4). Give the car some 2nd & 3rd gear abuse in slippy corners well away from other traffic (under braking, accelerating etc), and if you find it snappy, move it further out on a softer setting. Any of the settings is a quantum leap from the standard handling so don't feel you have to be hardcore.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks for the advice Reflex, will have a play! It does look like a messy setup I know, when I first tried to fit it I thought they had sent the wrong one. I have seen the neuspeed one fitted and the eibach one, to me the eibach one does have a much better fitment.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The reason for the 'messier' set-up is incase of damage. The square bracket acts as a breakpoint. If the suspension gets hit, the square bracket is the first part that will deform without damaging drop links, axle or anti-roll bar.

Whiteline also manufacture adjustable drop links http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/113_links.pdf

I run my Whiteline bar one of full soft in the winter and one of full hard when the weather gets warmer and the roads drier (not much chance of that happening up here :).

Cheers,

Job

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That bar hangs down quite low, I suppost the only problem would be the speed humps that you can stradle over and sleeping policemen in car parks.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
That bar hangs down quite low, I suppost the only problem would be the speed humps that you can stradle over and sleeping policemen in car parks.
To be fair the Neuspeed bar I had was similar. As the bar ends are very close to the wheel itself clearance was never a problem. If it hung down in the middle it would be a different matter!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Job

Have you thought about setting up a group buy on these for the forum members through balance motorsport? I'm sure there are loads of other members who would want one. I know I'm glad a purchased one.

By the way I wasn't 'having a go' at the attachment of this bar, just commenting on how it attaches differently than others. [:)]

Richard

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ouch. That was the incident that I was refering too.
LOL Paul. After the year I've had it could have been many. Dodgy injectors, melted turbos, hydrauliced engine etc. Anyway light is at the end of the tunnel! I'm an eternal optimist. Looking forward to 2007, the year when my modification project is finally finished, the car doesn't frighten me with any more bills and runs reliably with lunatic amounts of power and torque.[:D] After all, I bought a diesel to save money. (LOL I do miss the old forum software it had that smiley with a bruise I could use that so often!)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also got my bar on thanks to the guys at Star Performance, what a difference, wish i'd found this sooner instead of trying to source a Neuspeed one...........anyone thinking of it, i can recommend it....

On a sideline, we discovered my front anti roll bar was a 23mm, same thickness as the R32 one, but it hadn't been changed. Jim reckoned it may have been a fitment on the earlier cars due to having the thinner driveshafts.......?????? Still changed it to get the bigger loops though....[:D]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi,

I hope that after fitting the car is now actually enjoyable to drive :)

I found a huge difference on mine not just on less understeer but also better traction out of corners.

I have now fitted the castor bush in the front wishbones. This has reduced the understeer even more and made traction better again.

I am sure that Julian at Balance Motorsport would love to facilitate a group buy. I think that Whiteline would be happy to help here as well.

Cheers,

Job

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thought I better sign up to this forum following on from kind comments from Woody23 and Mitch Turbo. Thanks Guys. Glad to hear the bars are working well. I agree the Neuspeed bars are a lovely bit of kit - we also sell these - only downside is price and corrosion in the rose joint over time. We'd certainly be able to facilitate some kind of group buy on the Whiteline Bars.

I'm also wondering who should we contact about a banner ad on the forum? (don't want to get binned!) We've worked on quite a few MK4's now and our services include race prep and cornerweighting for coilover kits along with parts supply.

If we can be of any help don't hesitate to email myself at [email protected] or call 0845 2263717

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I'm also wondering who should we contact about a banner ad on the
forum? (don't want to get binned!) We've worked on quite a few
MK4's now and our services include race prep and cornerweighting for
coilover kits along with parts supply.

If we can be of any help don't hesitate to email myself at [email protected] or call 0845 2263717
Thanks for joining up, balance. You can send a PM to Tabs
re advertising, or place *one* advert in the Offers & Discounts
forum (obviously this doesn't offer you a designated forum / banner /
signature advertising etc.) [:)]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts