Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people opinions of cold callers were. Obviously not very high!

You know the sort, the ones that call you at stupid o clock or when you are having your dinner, and blab all their pre written spiel expecting you to hand over your card details when you didnt even catch who they are and dont even need the item in question anyway. Then get all shitty when you get shitty and say no!

What is your response. Do you hang up straight away, or do you let them think they have a sale then tell them to sod off and get a decent job? Do you swear at them like I do?? What are your favourite lines?

"Are you in a call centre? Is it a big one? Can you do me a favour, go to the top and jump off the edge"

"Did you fail the MacDonalds entrance test and end up there then"

Just recently I've actually been enjoying toying with these clowns, letting them do their spiel then at the end say no. I enjoy being awkward now. Put them on the spot. Outwit them. Even try and sell them something. Its confused the feck out of them. I've even had one call me back just to hang up on me!

"Free phone. Sweet. Do me a favour. Have you got my address. Excellent. Put it in the post and fuck off"

Do people ever buy from cold callers?? Do people feel sorry that these dumb people actually think it is a job worth doing and get satisfaction from one sale out of 2000?

Am I cruel or am I just?

·
Registered
730 Posts
When some tw&t phones you... you say hold on let me get the home owner.... then just leave them on the line untill they give up, whenever that is, Evil i know... but saves a lot of time and bull$hit.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
"Absolutely 100% totally happy with the service, no complaints, good evening..."

"I'm not the home owner"

"Are you actually from Orange? (To random mobile numbers on my work phone) Well you need to contact my employer, this is a work phone, bye..."

I've actually had quite a few calls from people at Blueyonder/Telewest (my ISP) and always ended up having a good old natter [:D]

Hey, how about people trying to sell you stuff... "Sorry, I'm homeless, bye..." [:D][Y]

·
Registered
249 Posts
TBH i got so fed up with unwanted sales calls that i have caller ID on the phone so i can see who's calling, so now i don't have to speak to them, but they get to listen to my answer machine every time they call, i hope it irritates them as much as they irritate me!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I just ask them really personal questions

How much do you weigh?
Do you ever suffer from smelly discharge?
Does your mother have excessive warts?
How often do you poo?

Fair enough they've got a crappy job but they don't deserve abusing for it - just play with them until they give up and I'm sure they'll have a smile about it later... swearing at them will inevitibly lead to annoying phone calls in revenge, they have your number remember.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I never answer the phone on an evening anymore, I get my son to do it - 10mins on the phone with a 5 year old and they don't phone back.

·
Registered
471 Posts
what about the one where they call, you pick up the phone to silence then they cut in - i thought that it was illegal for companys to do that. that makes me mad [:mad:] so i just hang up before they talk

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just register your number with http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ and you will not get any cold calls.
We've been with them for 3 years and we still get calls, although they do get extremely apologetic when you point it out to them.
Thats because you are supposed to take their name, company name time of call etc and report them. They then get fined a shoot load of ?.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I don't answer my mobile to withheld numbers or any number I don't recognise. My answerphone message explains this and says to leave a message and I'll get back to them if I think it's important enough.

Recently I was getting LOADS of calls from a mobile upgrade company (I didn't know at the time as I wasn't answering their calls). They were ringing me 5-6 times each day but I never answered it. I got so sick of them calling that I gave in a few days ago and answered it so that I could find out who it was and put a stop to the calls. When I found out it was a mobile upgrade company I told them I wasn't interested. However, different people from the same company kept ringing me (one of them was just 2 minutes after another one!) as they apparently had no record of me being called. When I got shirty with them they hung up on me and haven't called since. I'm trying to find out their company name so I can write a letter of complaint.

If they'd have taken the time to listen to my answerphone message they would know that a) I don't answer from unknown numbers and b) I'm not interested in an upgrade.

I did ring Orange to see if they could do anything about it as other upgrade companies have rung me loads recently too, but Orange were going to put me on hold for 21 minutes so I didn't bother!

I've registered my landline with the TPS and it seems to have stopped, but I still get calls to my mobile even though I've registered that too.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I haven't had a single cold caller for around 6 months now.

About a year ago there was a telephone number or e-mail adress (i forget now) listed on this forum after the same subject was discussed. I entered my details and slowly but surely the call became less and less until i'm at the stage where i can happily answer the phone without fear of a sales pitch.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fair enough they've got a crappy job but they don't deserve abusing for it - just play with them until they give up and I'm sure they'll have a smile about it later... swearing at them will inevitibly lead to annoying phone calls in revenge, they have your number remember.
I'm sorry but my opinion is they do deserve abusing for it. They work for silly liitle subsiduary companies most of the time, they dont actually have a clue about what they are selling apart from their pre rehearsed speech, they bother us at unsocial hours of the day, the use computer programmes to dial us hence the pause then connection noise, and just generally annoy me with their existance!

If they are stupid enough to take the job on the understanding that pay is crap but "OTE of ?30k" is acheiveable with sales then they deserve all they get. Thats why they get stroppy when you say no or rant on when you try to hang up, they only 'earn' if they sell. Its a dead end job and cold callers are scum. If you want to buy something, then your phone them. Anyone who buys off cold callers is stupid.

And as for them having your number, I always ask who they are, who they work for and their number. Most of them hang up with that, which begs the question if they are that legit why to they clam up when I actually ask who THEY are?? I am just expected to hand over all my personal details to someone I dont know??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mel's askin'

hello there,

i am having some proper trouble navigating through this flippin site and all i wanted to ask is how / where can i find info+images to remove my front bumper and grill Mk4 golf?? I really would appreciate your advice, as to how i should go about it, before i juste remove every nut n bolt i can find, thanks a bundle

big hugs

on the whole call centre thing, i have been one of those annoying people and believe me i hated every second of it and didnt feel great calling people up when i knew they were having their tea, you can hear the tv inthe back round and we'd all just be wishing we could be sat at home eating our dinner too, but its a J.O.B at the end of the day and if you can sell ice to Eskimos you make a good wage and its better than being a jobless wonder sponging off every one else, but you have to do these shitty jobes some times to get by, i wouldnt wish it on any one it really does suck the joy out of life , believe me! Especially when people are just plain rude to you, manners babe dont cost a thing and bar your number if you dont like to recieve sales calls, please dont take it out on the poor guy strapped to thier desks all flipping day who are just doing there job, a polite "no thanks"- then hang up, how hard is that?!

now traffic wardens , you dont want to get me started with them, i mean how do they sleep at night, really, its day light robbery, swindling Joe bloggs out of his hard ernt cash and for what!! Ba*tardo!!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol one rule for one and....

Traffic wardens are only doing a job and earning a wage like you...

Agreed, I dislike them also and probably as much as you do, but at least you can expect them to do their job on you if you are violating.

As for your job, yes its money, but why be stuck in a job that you don't like. You work for like 45 years of your life and spend just as much waking time with colleagues as you do partners and family, you might as well enjoy it! I also fail to see how you can justify what you are doing.

I am usually polite, but when its the same companies time after time, after you have said no, then its gets a little annoying, especially when you are elbows deep in paint or busy. A little bit of communication within these companies wouldn't go amiss, namely, "we've called him, its a no, leave him'.

Manners is one thing, but I find that it is very rarely reciprocated. A no is a no.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Especially when people are just plain rude to you, manners babe dont cost a thing and bar your number if you dont like to recieve sales calls, please dont take it out on the poor guy strapped to thier desks all flipping day who are just doing there job, a polite "no thanks"- then hang up, how hard is that?!
It's not difficult at all and I said a polite "no thanks" to the mobile upgrade people that called me. An hour later I got a call from a different member of staff and I said another polite "no thanks" even though I was a bit irritated by this point. Then when I get a THIRD call literally 2 minutes after the second one from another operator from the same company I'm afraid my patience just went out the window and although I wasn't rude I was a bit abrupt. They'd called me about 5-6 times DAILY for the past week and didn't listen to my answerphone message saying I wasn't interested or wouldn't answer from unknown numbers. Then when I did eventually answer the call to get them off my back they still persisted in ringing me and 2 of them had the cheek to call me "darling" and call me by my first name when I don't know them from Adam. They may think they're being friendly by asking me if I've had a good day etc. but it's frankly none of their business when they don't know me. What would they do if I said "no actually I've had a s*** day scraping up roadkill and taking little old ladies into hospital knowing full well they will never come out"?

So even though I wasn't rude and understand they have a job to do, I was getting a little hacked off with the persistent calls, them talking as if I was their best mate and general lack of consideration for me to have some private time. When I've worked a 12 hour shift I don't want to come home and talk to these people. In fact when I've had a bad day I don't want to talk to anyone. If I want something I will shop around and look for it myself. As it happens I'm not eligible for an upgrade yet anyway so I don't know where they get their information from.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The above is exactly what I am on about, but you obviously have a little more patience than me with these people...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts