Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following the "Do you get overtaken thread" (please take a look at that one to get the flavour of this),I thought I'd post my oberservations as to what is really the quickest Golf. Here are two lists....

List of Golf's on paper, quickest first or so you'd think....

1, R32

2, V6

3, 1.8T

4, V5

5, TDI

6, 2.0 / 1.8

7, 1.6

8, 1.4 / SDI

In real life it's totally different, based on how they are driven (fastest first, with explanations)....

1, 1.6 (rag it, rag it, rag it, rag it, rag ittttttt.......)

2, TDI (blah blah blah MPG blah blah blah torque blah blah blah blah blah blah MPG blah blah blah torque blah blah blah blah blah blah MPG blah blah blah torque blah blah blah blah blah blah MPG blah blah blah torque blah blah blah blah blah blah MPG blah blah blah torque blah blah blah blah blah blah MPG blah blah blah torque blah blah blah blah blah blah MPG blah blah blah torque blah blah blah blah blah blah MPG blah blah blah torque blah blah blah )

3, 1.4 / SDI (try to rag it, try to rag it, try to rag it, try to rag it.... but only make lots of noise and no meaningful progress)

4, V5 (what I saved on a V6 I can spend on fuel so a bit of speed wont hurt here and there...)

5, V6 (OMG....My fuel gauge is moving as fast as my rev counter, is a fuel gauge supposed to move that quick...)

6, 1.8T (No explanation.... STILL a total mystery ? except that research suggests that there is a direct correlation as to how slow a 1.8T goes to the number of layers of polish is has...)

7, R32 (I'm so pretty, your NOT pretty, I don't need to go fast anyway cos I'm so pretty, pretty pretty.........pretty)

8, 2.0 / 1.8 (Now where is that garden centre ?)

Amazing isn't it that the R32 is ACTUALLY one of the slowest Golf's going, only pipped to the crown of slowest of all by the 2.0...

Right..... The BAIT is set..... will the 1.8T's bite.........

·
Registered
728 Posts
[^]I like that...

Except for the MPG bit on TDI's, since my hybrid i am lucky to get 30 to the gallon!

But then i chose it......[:D][:D]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary,

I knew someone would spot THAT deliberate mistake LOL...... but that part of the post is the fictional bit !

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by sdesailly on 16/12/2004 21:33:25

Very funny, but you forgot the 1.8non-turbo GTi

bet he didn't.. [;)][:p][:p]

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote: posted by ct.p on 16/12/2004 19:53:35

3, 1.4 (try to rag it, try to rag it, try to rag it, try to rag it)

i dont try...

i just rag the poo poo outta it [:D]

how else am i gonna get anywhere??? [:p]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
...Ved swims around... "oooow that post on the end of that hook looks nice" he thinks.... "nice bait"... "tastes like BS/Wind up food!"... smells trap... swims on by muttering something about black smoke...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I think you summed it up nicely... my 1.6 is always ragged.... much faster than most of you guys on here [:p]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
5, V6 (OMG....My fuel gauge is moving as fast as my rev counter, is a fuel gauge supposed to move that quick...)

2 days into ownership and I got 34mpg going to work, shocked wasn't the word!!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Quote: posted by Rye on 17/12/2004 00:08:30

I think you summed it up nicely... my 1.6 is always ragged.... much faster than most of you guys on here [:p]

Redlining does not always equal fast.

P.S. There are 2 variations of V5 one faster and one slower/equal to the 1.8T

1 - 20 of 39 Posts