Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't get it.

As I understand it.....Farepak have gone into liquidation / bankruptcy and people have lost money. I feel sorry them BUT, why should they expect the government and other companies to help them out.

Why do these people feel that they MUST go to loansharks for xmas. Surely, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it - plain and simple.

Unfortunately, companies go bust all the time and people lose money. I don't see why this is any different.

I don't understand these schemes anyway. Surely, if you want to save up for Christmas, open a bank account where your money is safe.

Heartless?????

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I totally agree - they must have no real grasp that any company can go under, with you losing all your money paid to them.

And no way should the government bail them out [N]

·
Registered
49 Posts
As I understand it.....Farepak have gone into liquidation / bankruptcy and people have lost money. I feel sorry them BUT, why should they expect the government and other companies to help them out.
But do they expect it or is it just a gesture with it being so close to xmas?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
boooooooo ! Heartless!! hehehe !

I think when you are ...err...less fortunate than others, then its very very hard. We forget that some really can't afford much ( aprt from **** and booze[:p] ). Also, if you have kids, imagine how tricky it is to explain that there will be no Xmas for them when all their friends are getting PSPs and whatnot.

That said, I do agree that "we" should not have to bail them out. And, perhaps worse is that companies are puffing out their chests to advertise that they have donated to a "good cause" just so that we think "ahhhh, good on 'em. I'll spend my cash there"

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People are just useless when it comes to money. I heard a woman on the radio moaning about how much debt she had, accusing the credit card company of loaning her money and then, shock horror, they want the money to be repaid!!

To paraphrase - "what woman, who'd seen a coat they wanted, wouldn't put it on a credit card? I didn't realise I had to pay it back." Dumb bint.

People just want to be bailed out all the time and don't seem to want to take any responsibility for their actions.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But do they expect it or is it just a gesture with it being so close to xmas?
From the interviews that I saw on the TV with those that lost money, they seem to be expecting it!

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boooooooo ! Heartless!! hehehe !

I think when you are ...err...less fortunate than others, then its very very hard. We forget that some really can't afford much ( aprt from **** and booze[:p] ). Also, if you have kids, imagine how tricky it is to explain that there will be no Xmas for them when all their friends are getting PSPs and whatnot.

That said, I do agree that "we" should not have to bail them out. And, perhaps worse is that companies are puffing out their chests to advertise that they have donated to a "good cause" just so that we think "ahhhh, good on 'em. I'll spend my cash there"
I understand how difficult it must be if they've got kids but it boils down to the same thing....they can't afford it!! If they're having to resort to loan sharks, I'd suggest that their credit rating is poor and responsible lenders will turn them down, which says to me "computer says no"!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I just don't get it.

Why do these people feel that they MUST go to loansharks for xmas. Surely, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it - plain and simple.

Unfortunately, companies go bust all the time and people lose money. I don't see why this is any different.

I don't understand these schemes anyway. Surely, if you want to save up for Christmas, open a bank account where your money is safe.

Heartless?????
I think its fair to say that most people one here are reasonable well off and well educated, after all they own pc's internet connectiosn and VW golfs...

The fact is much of the population arent in that scenario, OK some it might be there own fault others may have had no choice...

Saving schemes like this are the only way that these people can budget, its the same as electricity and gas tokens they know that the get ?70 a week benefits/low pay of that they split as such

?10 gas

?10 electric

?3 christmas

?20 food

? catalogue bills

I take it you dont have kids.... if I was made bankrupt tommorrow and my kids (3 and 8) were facing christmas with nothing and no toys what would i do tell them father christmas doesnt exist? and Ive blwon my money so I ve ruined a childs dream? no Id probably beg borrow or steal to not ruin it for them. Same as most of these feel.

Yes companys go bust all the time Klausners et all BUT this was scheme aimed at the poorest in our society, peole who dont understand consumer rights and credit protection, they assumed wrongly or rightly there money was OK....

Is trust such a wrong thing to nurture in our society?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I can't understand how these people felt it was a wise move in the first place. I can see why saving for christmas is a good idea but surely putting your money into a bank account or even a christmas savers card from Asda/Tesco is a much safer and more logical option.

However, I saw on the news that the former director of the company is living in a top class hotel somewhere in South America where the rooms cost up to ?5000 per night. Not bad considering his business has just become bankrupt. From that perspective, I can see why the customers are annoyed, but that's still no reason for the government to bail them out with taxpayers money. It should come out of his pocket!

Has anyone else never heard of Farepak before this whole thing kicked off by the way, or am I the only one?

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
People are just useless when it comes to money. I heard a woman on the radio moaning about how much debt she had, accusing the credit card company of loaning her money and then, shock horror, they want the money to be repaid!!

To paraphrase - "what woman, who'd seen a coat they wanted, wouldn't put it on a credit card? I didn't realise I had to pay it back." Dumb bint.
Yep.. that attitude is partly the governments for not regulating the credit industry even remotely enough.. credit is FAR too easy to get. But she seems particularly unintelligent.. "I didn't realise i'd have to pay it back" "No, actually love, it's a frickin' free for all.. as much money as you want.. fill yer boots !"

An intelligent one with a grasp of financial principles would not put it on the credit card if they couldn't afford to pay it off !

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it's wrong for them to be expecting other people to bail them out, yes. Trust is a different matter.

I think the fact that they're the poorest members of society is even worse - they should have been more careful to whom they're entrusting their money to! And, if we're honest, the poorest members of society are probably on benefits, which I don't have a problem with in the genuine cases so technically, it's our tax that's been lost!!

No, I don't have children but that wouldn't alter my opinion. They'll get what I can afford, not what their peers' parents can afford.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"No, actually love, it's a frickin' free for all.. as much money as you want.. fill yer boots !"
PMSL!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
"No, actually love, it's a frickin' free for all.. as much money as you want.. fill yer boots !"
PMSL!!!!!!
I mean really.. how can someone not realise they'd have to pay it back !

"Yeah, you know that money in ya purse.. well fairies put it there at night ! Only you've got none, cos you've ben visited by the dumb fairy !"

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Come on guys, think what a miserable Christmas it will be for 15 year old Kylie and her 4 differently fathered children, without her tin of spam and Walkers shortbread biscuits!

I'm gunna send em half a bottle of brown sauce I've had rattling round the cupbord since I moved house.

Let's all do our bit for these, the lowest common denominator of our society!!

Poor Jeremy Kyle wont have an audience the day the vouchers come through the post!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just don't get it.

Heartless?????
I'm another one who agrees with you.

I think the media can be blamed for a lot of the hype surrounding the compensation, GMTV in particular were quick to jump on the band wagon.

It needs putting in perspective, why should the government be giving money out to the people who have lost out when there are other people in this country a lot worse off. I mean it's not a matter of life or death is it if you don't have ?100's to spend at Christmas time. It should be the thought that counts anyway, not the monetary value of anything you give.

I am also rather dubious about how these 'schemes' work, I believe people become agents and then push their friends and neighbours to save with them so that they get commission, calling weekly to collect money. Not the most ethical way to run a business, IMHO.

And what happened to the members of Arthur Fowler's Christmas club... I don't recall the government bailing him out!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Come on guys, think what a miserable Christmas it will be for 15 year old Kylie and her 4 differently fathered children, without her tin of spam and Walkers shortbread biscuits!

I'm gunna send em half a bottle of brown sauce I've had rattling round the cupbord since I moved house.

Let's all do our bit for these, the lowest common denominator of our society!!

Poor Jeremy Kyle wont have an audience the day the vouchers come through the post!
Lol another classic simch post. haha. You've not been round these 'ere parts for a while !

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I think it's wrong for them to be expecting other people to bail them out, yes. Trust is a different matter.

I think the fact that they're the poorest members of society is even worse - they should have been more careful to whom they're entrusting their money to! And, if we're honest, the poorest members of society are probably on benefits, which I don't have a problem with in the genuine cases so technically, it's our tax that's been lost!!

No, I don't have children but that wouldn't alter my opinion. They'll get what I can afford, not what their peers' parents can afford.
I can tell you dont have kids... its not about what othere kids have got TBH that is a misconception thats more a teenage thing... when you have a 3-8 year old that has written a letter to Santa Clause asking for certain things (most probably not expensive at thet age) they gebuine;y believe santa is bringing them those presents, and they get told if there naughty etc they wont get it..

Can you imagine how you would feel if they didnt get what they asked for ... especially when kids of that age are quite reasonable in there expectations????

And why are tescos and asda any more reputable?

We dont teach people in this country about credit and personal finance so why SHould have these people know about it or understand it (IMO it should be taught as a subject in school)

Dave do you actually know any poor people? do you actually know anyone below average intelligence? do you know anyone who struggles to live in modern society? I suppose its great find all this stuff easy and not be any of the above but some people genuinely dont have a choice, and its not there fault either....

(Oh and PS many people are not allowed more than one bank account, and the way thse saving schemes are sold means it makes them quite attractive to the participants as against straight cash in the bank)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I just don't get it.

Heartless?????
It needs putting in perspective, why should the government be giving money out to the people who have lost out when there are other people in this country a lot worse off. I mean it's not a matter of life or death is it if you don't have ?100's to spend at Christmas time. It should be the thought that counts anyway, not the monetary value of anything you give.
Exactly what about the homeless on the streets when it's freezing.. what about them who haven't even got a roof over their heads !

1 - 20 of 112 Posts