Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have, via an Audi Forum, downloaded the Golf MK7's instruction manual (48MB) and reading through it, as best as one can, this car seems far to complex for its own good. There is a section on CCS, ACC and Speed limiter and for the life of me, as yet can't see how these are all integrated.

It seems that most of the controls are duplicated on the left hand stalk as well as the MF steering wheel which again seems to have too many little button in close proximity.

Then we go on to Auto Hold which has to be activated every time you use the car unless you have remembered to pull up the switch before you turn off the ignition..............and so it goes on and on explaining all the laws governing how this, the ebrak and Stop/Start system work. My head is still buzzing by it all and makes me really wonder whether I can be arsed with all this unnecessary complexity in my next Golf.

The link is at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14358635/Golf%20Mark%20VII%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
You'll probably find it all makes a lot more sense once you're sat in the car. I'd 'hope' that VW's ergonomics experts will have laid out the controls in something approaching a logical arrangement, and that all switches and buttons will be a breeze to use.

Tony

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll probably find it all makes a lot more sense once you're sat in the car. I'd 'hope' that VW's ergonomics experts will have laid out the controls in something approaching a logical arrangement, and that all switches and buttons will be a breeze to use.

Tony
The section concerning CCS, ACC and distance control are all confusing to me especially as the same controls are used to set them. I understand CCS or Cruise Control as I have that but Automatic distance control and activation and distance limiter are all too confusing at the moment especially trying to read through it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just drive the car, own the car and worry about the manual when you get really stuck! Mine's still tucked away 'til I find something that stumps me and isn't intuitive!

Auto Hold remembers whatever state you left it in by the way and ACC is wonderful for a demo, approaching traffic in front, with no feet on the pedals and with passengers who really do wonder if the car will brake in time. Which it does, by the way, as I guess you'd know if you've read in the manual!

Stick to the 'complexity' of the MK6 if you're in any doubt.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use a MK7 GT TDI pretty much daily as our work 'pool' car. All of the technology works really well and having used an A4 with the electronic break for a while, I am more than used to the so called dreaded ebreak.

I really am a fan of the MK7.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have had Golfs mark 5 and 6 over the last 9 years or so and during my most recent problem with the mark 6 I had a Mark 7 courtesy car. No one showed me how to use the brake or other bits but got used to the brake within 20 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
I dont think any of the controls are duplicated from the stalk to the steering wheel.

The section on the cruise control etc does sound confusing when you're just reading about it, as are most things, but once you have the controls they are extremely simple to use. To set the distance, you just press the middle button and then you press either + or -

The car as a whole is actually pretty straight forward. Yes, it's full of technology which sounds confusing when you're reading the manual, but it's a joy to drive and simple.

Also, autohold is a brilliant addition. I dont see why you would switch it off apart from when you're parking and it comes on. All it does is what you would do when you stop somewhere and hold the brakes on for you. It also automatically puts the hand-brake on for you when you switch off the car/take your seatbelt off/open a car door as well. Some people complain about it being a bit jerky when they set off, but this is likely to be partially down to driving style. You just have to release the clutch a bit before putting your foot on the accellerator so that it releases. Easy!

Why dont you just give it a go if you're worried about anything.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You more or less forget about the handbrake after a day of using the car. Comes on automatically when you stop, comes off automatically when you move the clutch and accelerator.

Have a test drive and if you don't like it buy something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up my car on Friday and have not used any of these toys previously - I hand't even driven one before (and I have never done that in any of the 45 cars I've had). The whole lot is very intuitive and easy to suss out very quickly - I have yet to open the manual. Take one for an extended test drive. As was said earlier - the autohold is excellent and stays in the same position as when last used, the steering buttons are not duplicates of stalk functions, and ACC (cruise control) is properly awesome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts