Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righty-ho then, I recently got my first car, a nice shiny black 53-plate 1.9 TDi Bora SE (ASZ engine with roughly 77,850 miles), and I have two questions:

Firstly, my Bora started out on the LongLife Service package and as far as I know/can tell it still is on it, but is there anyway to check?

Second, my Oil is low. I don't mean that I have flashing lights, but the level is right on or just below the Min mark on the dipstick depending on where I park at home. Obviously I intend to fill her up again, but given the sludge on the inside of the oil filler cap and the slight (but perhaps increasing) smell to the oil, I've decided to dump the old and replace with new. I plan on changing the oil filter at the same (housing appears to have a bit of a dribble), and change the fuel filter to boot. As I changed the air filter the first week I had the car, I will have changed all filters once this is done.

My question here is, will I throw the car off its service plan/generally upset it if I change the oil and filters without having been prompted by the car itself?

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
No way changing the oil early would hurt the engine. Always a good thing for it to be done twice a year. Its what i used to do with my old ASZ and i do it now with my AUM.

Peter

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
You can use VCDS to reset the service indicator for Longlife services, and also for Time & Distance (T&D) services. You can reset T&D service indicator yourself using the dash buttons.

Given the situation you're in, and are going to be servicing it yourself from now on (I presume) then why not go onto T&D and do it every 10k miles, or when the car prompts you to. If you use the dash buttons when it's on Longlife service, then it automatically resets onto the T&D regime.

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking about putting it onto T&D actually Rusty.

At the moment I'm only doing short trips to work and back (2 mile each way roughly, 4-on 4-off), with a fortnightly burn down the M-Way. However, I'm applying for a new job at the moment, and if I get it then I'll be doing a lot longer journey to work (roughly 20 miles each way, mostly on M-Way).

Which would be a better choice (assuming I get the new job), LL or T&D? I know LL is meant to be better if you're doing a moderately large amount of longer journeys, but how long is a "longer journey"?

Also, any recommended makes for diesel and oil filters? [NOT Halfrauds]

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
If you're doing it yourself then T&D is the best way forward I reckon. Nothing wrong with plenty of oil changes, and the Longlife regime is more to keep costs down due to vehicles off road for maintenance rather than anything else.

Dealers for oil & filters, as said. Or TPS if they have one local to you. I'd use the longlife oil (5w-30 VW504/507) in any case, regardless of which service you give it.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Because it's a much better spec oil and it costs little more than the old spec oil anyway. And that's what you'd get if you took it to VW for a service as well. Single oil spec now regardless of service regime. [Y]

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Nope, personally I wouldn't run an engine flush in a PD engine. The oil requirements for a PD engine are very exacting, and I've not found an engine flush which meets those VW specifications.

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
*Holds up hands.*

You've more experience with cars and PD engines than me mate, you say don't flush a PD, and I won't.

I'd rather pay out an extra £40 for an extra oil change than have to pay out £400+ to have the engine, as the Big Yin would say, defuculated.

Thinking about it, an engine that's done 77k won't have a huge amount of cack in it anyway (comparatively speaking), will it? Aren't the german diesel meant to only just be run in by that stage?

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
I reckon our 2.0ltr PD is just about as good as it's going to get at 125k miles. Pulls like a train, and uses very little oil other than what it blows out of the crank case vent system. Just had fresh oil and filters every 10k miles. If your engine has had good oil in it from the start then there should be very little build up I guess. Local motor factors always tried to sell me an engine flush when I went to buy oil. "You should look after your engine mate!" I told 'em that "It's coming up to 200k miles with just regular oil changes so I must be doing summat right eh." This was in the Citroen Berlingo that I took up to 250K miles. Never saw a flush in its life. [:D]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts