Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i know a few people posted saying that they had a noise (sticking starter??) when starting their car... Has anyone had it fixed.. my dealer cant "replicate the fault [:(]"

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Is it the starter motor Chris?

If it is, it will probably get worse over time so the dealer will change it at some point under warranty.

Mine doesn't make any strange noises on starting BTW.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure, i Think its the starter motor, basically turns over as normal then soon as its started (this nasty noise happens http://homepage.ntlworld.com/angela.perry/pics/Sound%20clip.mp3

Theres the sound clip of the noise

It has been getting worse (read more frequent) over time, it was in for a service on friday, got that done and couple of other things sorted, but they couldnt replicate fault.. soon as i got home and started car again it happened

But it hasnt done it since... its very intermitant...

So they are keeping the car for a week to try and find it

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I've only got crappy wee PC speakers, so can't really here what's going on in your clip.

I'm sure they'll find it in a week though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Guys I have the same crunch noise at starup!

I have just had a new clutch kit fitted to my Golf after the thrust bearing failed. During the warrenty work I asked for the service team to have a look at my fly-wheel and starter motor for damage. All the parts looked as good as new and the fault did not reproduce. The service manager did mention that the noise could have been related to the clutch failure. Having driven the car for two weeks now the problem is still occuring (1 in 10 startups). I am happy enough to let it get worse as my car will be due a break fluid change in Sept. Hopefully by then the service team will be able to reproduce the fault and repair as required...

I'll cross my fingers that the problem isnt anymore serious than the starter motor!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well VW have had my car for a week, Which is a long time when they gave me a 1.2 3door polo to drive around in [:mad:]

Anyway they couldnt replicate the fault... then when i rang to see if i left something in the car.. the woman rang me back saying she couldnt find the item in the car and that the tech was sending off a report to VW Technical about the noise... So i dont know if they found the noise or if they still cant replicate it.. was stressed out and forgot to ask...

God knows how many miles they put on the car "road testing" it so they can start the car from hot cold etc etc

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is exactly what I get.

I thought I was putting too much load on the alternator with my system originally but it continues to do it when I disconnect the system, and now with you guys saying yours are doing it, it must be a common fault.

My cars in for service this month anyway so i'll get them to look at it. Shouldn't be a problem them replicating the fault, seeing as mine does it 80% of the time it's started up..

Tom

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is exactly what I get.
Shouldn't be a problem them replicating the fault, seeing as mine does it 80% of the time it's started up..

Tom
Mine does... when i am driving it... just not when they are driving it [:mad:]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just had the workshop controller on the phone apparently VW have told them to

Replace the timinmg chain.. pre tensioners and a few other related bits

Sounds expensive!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent news I will look well informed when I mention that one to the service manager! I hope it solves the issue...
Going up2 VW 2moro to pick up a bigger curtosey car (the 3door 1.2polo is driving me mad!)

So I maybe able to find some accociated codes that go with the problem if that helps.. If its possible that is!!

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well got the car back much quicker than expected... Originally quoted a week or more as the parts were on back order.

Seems to be ok... will listen out for it the next few days.

Glad to get rid of the Touran they gave me after the polo though... Felt like I should have a few kids in the back!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
H guys I think its fixed, been ok for everyone who has driven it so it looks like its been fixed!!

For anyone with the same problem... say you found the root of the problem... say it sounds like its coming from the timing chain area of the car (right hand side of the engine i think [:D])

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a massive thankyou to Chris for this post. I too had a peculiar noise occasionally, when starting from cold. I ignored it for a couple of months as it was so intermittent until a friend directed me to this website..........my FSi 1.6 has just been returned to me after a week away at VW; waiting on back ordered parts for you guessed it, timing to be replaced. (Chain I think, not belt driven although I wouldnt know the difference till it took out my top end)...
So THANKS CHRIS!!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Guys im booking in my 1.6 FSI this week for a 2 year break fluid change. Just wondering if the timing chain fix has resolved the startup noise for everyone concerned?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts