Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost coming up to a year of GTI ownership now, and whilst the thrill of the car was fantastic at first, as usual with me, im getting bored.

Bored of being out handled by sheds, tired of getting caught out at low revs, and just not feeling that the car is 'special' anymore.

So, before prices start plummeting... im wondering whether I should dump the Golf and go for something which will give me driving thrills out of the box.

Yes, i could spend money on the suspension, yes i could get a remap.... but i dont really want to. I've slowly realised that i want a car that in standard form will offer what i want..... quick, handles well, looks nice, and is well built/reliable. I dont want the reliability hassle of suspension changes and remaps, nor do i want the insurance hikes and hassle should the worst happen....

So what do i go for? An S3 is heading the pack big time at present.... i like this engine, if it just spooled up a big quicker and had more oomph once it got there, i'd love it. I want that 4wd... i want that look.... it just seems like the car 'for me' if you like.

I'd consider a CupraR, but they are too in your face for where i live... and there isnt much else i'd think about to be honest.

What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
712 Posts
So in short, you want something that

a) handles

b) has a good engine/quick

c) good on insurance

d) can do hartside in a breeze [:D]

The S3 certainly meets that, although the spool up time and extra weight of the haldex could be tricky...

ooh, and what's your price limit?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Chris, you're in exactly the same position as me mate!

I have done the 'modding' thing and now looking for a car that looks good and goes well in standard form. If I add up the cost of my car and how much i've spent on mods I could have quite easily got myself a nice Anni or S3. [:eek:)][:eek:)][:I]

I have spent a lot on my Golf (and have learnt my lesson)[:I] Now i've gotta try and get some of the money back that i've spent on it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can get insured on an S3 through Privelege for EXACTLY the same cost as my GTI as well, which is another plus point. Sure, im gonna be paying ?14-15k for it, but as they always say, you get what you pay for.

A platinum grey S3 will do me nicely [:D]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Go for it mate, you know it makes sense [;)]

I mean, how much would alloys, suspension, remap, exhaust etc cost you for your GTI?

And I bet you would still be bored with it after all that!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I worked this out the other night....

Rough guess:

?700 wheels

?600 suspension

?500 remap

?300 exhaust

______

?2100 ...

And thats without any sort of bodywork changes to make it look nice too!! On a 5yr old car with 70k on the clock.... hmmm...

See, there is some sense in my madness [:p] ... im just like 'Phwoarrr' every time i catch a glimpse of an S3... which isnt very often, they're quite rare up here!

·
Registered
342 Posts
The s3 isn't that great out of the box either - most owners seem to do alot of what Golf owners do - remap - h&r springs /bilstein or koni

etc etc

Golf really needs a remap and rear anti roll bar or springs and dampers to do it justice

·
Registered
782 Posts
The S3 is not going to be the car you think it is.....

What springs to mind is

A. Focus RS ( Really is a good car, Make sure you get a late one)

B. Civic Type R (Does nothing for me at all, but will be right up your street in the handeling dept)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I would have thought the Cupra R fits the bill. 225bhp, same lump as the S3. Guess the thing that will bother you is the lack of 4WD on Cupra. Im going to duck now but I heard the Cupra is better handling than a Golf in standard form. Seems to fit the bill really. Depends if you can get pass the badge really. I know I could.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did consider something totally off the scale like a 944 Turbo... but then the running costs come into play.

I'll have to do some sums to work out exactly how much i can stretch too... it'll be a bit of a dive into the unknown considering the GTI was the dearest car i've bought, and that was only 9k.

A CupraR does appeal a lot.... but then i have to think about it standing out, which they do. I want something that looks nice, but not in your face like a CupraR or CTR. That's why the S3 sits quite nicely at the moment....

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I heard that about the CupraR's too..... im pretty sure Evo said it was so much more surefooted than a MK4.

The 4wd isnt really a must...... it'd be nice, sure, but i just want something that is planted, doesnt wobble all over the shop, and is fun to drive.

·
Registered
586 Posts
See what you mean as those 2 cars are quite kitted up from the word go. I do like S3 but its a lot of money for a older gen Audi as the new one has been out for over a year now. Ever consider a new shape BMW Compact 325i? My friend has one and they handle well and are quick too. Should be able to get one around 15-16K. Love them when they have the kit on as well.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not a fan of the compacts... love the higher end 3 series, but i think a 330coupe is kinda out of my price range! lol

I know what you mean about the S3's.... it does seem quite bizarre to pay ?15-16k for a car that is only a year or two newer than what i have at the moment.

At least i have plenty of time to think this over anyhow! [:D]

1 - 20 of 69 Posts