Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

FAN PROBLEM - POLL SYNOPSIS

444K views 809 replies 238 participants last post by  Chris_Bora 
#1 ·
Problems with your fans READ ALL OF THIS then comment...
Results of the fan poll here, left this running long enough, and now the thread is too long too read so I will cut it down here along with the results, also it should be able to be made sticky!!!
here is the original http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/1/209822/ShowPost.aspx#209822
The Total was over 45% of fans were or have been faulty
BELOW I WILL COPY THE USEFULL REPLYS TO THAT POST (along with an acknowledgement)

ANDYMAC: Right I will explain this only once as I have explained it SOOOO many times over the last year
Basically all cars with climatronic have 2 fans and each fan has 2 speeds, slow and fast.
When the air con is on the fans are meant to turn at a consistent low speed and if the engine gets hot they will run at the higher speed, but what is happeneng to almost all fans is that the low speed resistor within the fans is burning out so the fans will only pulse to high speed which isnt really adequate for cooling the engine in warm weather, another consequence is that the high speed fuse blows and you are left with no fans and overheat and bugger your engine.

I have so far dissasembled 3 sets of fans and all had the same problem, which was the low speed resistor, the fans are a sealed unit so cannot be easily repaired, VW charge ?90 + VAT for these EACH and ?200 labour for fitment, so basicallly you have ?400 concumables on your car that need replacing every 30000 miles, which in my eyes is very very wrong, if nothing else they should be supplying them on an exchange basis as per the MAF as it is such a widespread problem, I have even heard of R32's with the problem now. I f I can get enough support on here plus one or 2 people who have had a run in with VW about this then I am going to approach watchdog as it is disgracefull that VW are profiteering of a known engineering problem on one of the models.

ANDYMAC: I looked at over 6 4motions last year for my mate, and every single one had this problem, I would hazard a gueass that many r32's are now having this problem aswell, however the it does affect all models I think not just V6ers and V5ers

ANDYMAC: right I need to clarify this as some people arent getting this
1. turn engine on,
2. turn aircon on,
3. make sure ECON is "OFF"
4. Check fans are running constantly IE for more than 1-2 minutes
5. if the fans do nothing then run very fast, then stop after a minute or 2 or even 3 then you have faulty fans

BIGAL: The radiator fans are controlled by a two stage thermostatic switch, the first switch closes at approx 85 degC and switches on the low speed fan and the second closes at approx 95degC and runs the fans at full speed. I assume this two speed arrangement is to keep noise levels down, as the fans never need to run at full speed under normal circumstances.
They come on low speed when the aircon is on, to cool the aircon compressor which is mounted directly behind them.

BARON VON MARLON/RF STEEL: Baron Von Marlon - If you've had your fans replaced once already, they should still be under the 24 month warranty that comes with the replacement !!
Replacement Parts. All genuine Volkswagen replacement parts purchased on or after 01/11/01 carry a warranty for a minimum period of 24 months, with no mileage limitation, from the date of purchase. Parts replaced within the warranty period for passenger cars are covered for the balance of the 3-year period. After this period, replacement parts carry the 24-month warranty referred to above. Other items with warranties in excess of 24 months will be advised to you at the time of purchase. This does not apply to parts fitted under the terms of the vehicle warranty, which are warranted for the remaining period of that warranty.
http://www.vw.co.uk/services/factory_warranty/terms

ANDYMAC: Origianl Fan Autopsy here http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/17772/ShowPost.aspx
Do not use fix shown here it doesnt last long!!!

BIGAL: My fix is more straightforward, it only involves mounting two resistors on to a metal plate and splicing into the fan wiring. It does not involve any disassembly of the car (especially the fans) and does not damage the cars wiring loom. The only hassle is making the metal heatsink plate, it is only approx 30 mins work for anyone with simple metalworking tools. I have drawn up the heatsink and can email the drawing to anyone interested.

BIGAL: From Thread http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/50268/ShowPost.aspx
I checked my V5's cooling fans today and they are no longer running on the low speed. I've disconnected them and checked the fans by themselves and the internal resistors are burnt out on both fans.
I have reread the posts by Andymac and others about this problem and I have decided to fit external resistors to repair the low speed function.
From Andymacs previous posts it looks as if the resistor for the bigger of the two fans is approx 0.8ohm.
I have just tried a 1 ohm high power resistor in series with each fan and measured a current of 7.0A (with engine running) for the big fan and 5.5A for the small fan. This means that the big fan will need a minimum of a 50W resistor and the small fan a 30W resistor.
My question is, has anyone actually measured the low speed current drawn by each of the fans when running with the internal (unbroken) resistor? If not does anyone know the internal resistor values for both sizes of fan?
I will publish details of this mod when I have finished it.

JONJON/ANDYMAC:Quote: posted by JonJon on 09/04/2005 19:46:12
i'm also intrested in this as my slow speed fans are not working.
it's not causing any bother though as the temp needle never moves over the 90 mark,even if i just let it idle til the high speed fans cut in,is this normal(in a broken sort of sense)i.e what temp is the fast cut in supposed to be?
BigAl- if it's not too much bother could you explain how you tested the low speed supply to the fans so i can check mine.
The temp needle is very inaccurate! believe me the car will be running at higher than 90, the other problem is when you get stuck in traffic on a hot day the high speed will blow a fuse then you will be left with no fans and you WILL overheat. PPS no low speed will also bugger the aircon compressor and lead to a a ?1000 bill, (Ask RFSTEEL)if you dont fix it soon at least take the following precautions carryu a spare fuse with and the tools to change it and run the climatronic only in ECON mode.

BIGAL: (The fix)I have been setting up my webspace to host this guide, hopefully it will be finished shortly, it will be viewable at http://website.lineone.net/~alan.james.lorely/
Andy, both resistors are on one heatsink which is mounted under the passenger side headlamp. It is not in the fan airflow and doesn't need to be provided the heatsink is the same or larger than mine. I tapped into the wiring on the fan side of the wiring, this means if anyone want to replace the fans later and remove the mod then the cars wiring is undamaged.

BIGAL: The failure of the fans low speed does not directly damage the engine, but the constant high speed pulsing of the fans does eventually blow the main fuse and then engine overheating could occur, which if ignored would lead to engine damge.
The air con compressor is mounted directly behind the smaller fan in the airflow and I believe that this is to cool the compressor, presumably lack of cooling damages the compressor.

TIW30: Just finished my resistor mod (Thanks to Big Al for all the research) and both fans are now working perfectly all for ?15 great the mod is quite straight forward if a little fiddly to do in some places, and anyone doing it in a 150 TDI will need to remove the front intercooler pipe to get access to the plugs

BIGAL FIX: http://website.lineone.net/~alan.james.lorely/fan%20mod/Repair.html

Dsgwagen: (numpty) A lot of the time problems with the fans are caused by the control unit,if you change the fans and the control unit is faulty they will go again.

ANDYMAC:Its got nothing to do with the control unit, if it was how come 03 r32's with the r32's are suffering the same problem.
Dsgwagen do you care to explain where and how the control unit creates a problem? have you read the whole of this thread? have looked at the links or worked out the current calculations that the thermal resistors within thae fans have to control? how many fans and control units have you replaced or diassembled?
I am asking this as at the end of 10 pages of thread and investigation by myself and a few others such as BigAl you jump on and say its the control unit? I just want to know on what eveidence you base this on.

NUMPTY: I was under the impression that the control unit fails causing the fans to get stuck on fast blowing them out usually taking the 40a fuse with them.I can't really be bothered to read the thread or the 10 elsewhere but i'm just pointing out that a lot of control units get sold,maybe for a different fault to the one you are highlighting but still.

ANDYMAC: Well if you cant be bothered then dont clutter the thread with untruths, and uninformed advice, I already spend half my time reassuring people that ITS NOT THE CONTROL UNIT mostly because people like you DONT READ THE EVIDENCE AND ASSUME ITS SOMETHING ELSE

ANDYMAC: IF YOU READ THE THREAD THE 40 A FUSE BLOWS BECAUSE THE FANS ARE PULSING WAY TOO MUCH ATTEMPTING TO COOL THE ENGINE, UNSUCCESSFULLY BECAUSE THE LOW SPEED IS BROKEN!!!!!

DSGWAGEN: I was told that when this problem first came about that they were just changing fans and they were going again,but now they change the lot 2x fans 1x ecu and the fuse and they don't get any comebacks now.

EVILHOMER: Dealers LIE!!!! lol

ANDYMAC:
I have done the resistor mod and it works fine, howver you do need a fairly substantial piece of aluminuim as they do get exceptionally hot (Still going 10000 miles on)

GREENBEAST: right...i got my fans working again
i implore anybody about to undertake this mod to check the green fuses on top of the battery and clean them up so they are free of corrosion
my father-in-law-to-be and i only discovered they were corroded AFTER we had fitted the whole resistor modification
so after the fuses were cleaned up it all works and we've reconnected all the wires how they originally were
only good thing is that i have a ready made resistor mod for if/when the fans do go properly!

ROYR32: My R32 went in for warranty work and we asked them to check the fan as it only comes on high speed for 3 - 4 seconds. When we picked it up the man told us that they had spoken to VW and they said it was within acceptable peramiters. It did it in front of a couple of the "technicians" and we told them that was what we talking about. I said I could not see that it could do anything during that short period. He said it does, because it is such a high speed fan it only needs that long! Is this faulty or could he be telling the truth?

ANDYMAC: I can confirm that your fans have failed, and Roy read the whole rthread and realise that yours have failed and dealers are liars and are stupid

RHEMINGWAY:GET YOUR ALI PLATE HERE!
I did the external resistor mod last weekend and they work a treat.
A mate in the metal industry, laser cut a piece of 3mm ali using the template on Big Al's site. I followed all the instructions on his site so thanks a lot Big Al, you saved me a fortune and the template was spot on.
This shape fits fine on V5, V6 cars (thats what Big Al had) and I have a 150tdi so assume it would fit all the TDI's.
If anyone wants a plate laser cutting then I can get them for ?13 each, but the minimum order is 10 pieces. If anyone wants one then send me a pm or maybe reply here, I could set up a group buy if enough interest. I am not making any profit on this, its cost so if anyone can get it done cheaper then thats cool.
Hopefully there should be a pic attached.
Posted Image

Rich

RHEMINGWAY FIX GROUPBUY: http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/371240/ShowPost.aspx

ADDED EXTRA TESTING Courtesy of BIGAL AGAIN...

First the fans themselves.
Disconnect the fan connector and measure, with a multimeter, the resistance between the red/white wire and the brown wire, it should be a value less than 10ohms, a much higher value indicates a burnt out internal resistor. Next measure the resistance between the red/black wire and the brown wire it should also be a value less than 10 ohms, a much higher value indicates a burnt out fan.

Next the fan controller, fuses etc.

The test detailed is taken from the VW repair manual for the V5.
Caution keep hands etc away from the fans during this test as they are expected to run:

Reconnect both fan connectors, if still disconnected, and disconnect the 3 pin connector from the radiator fan thermo switch.
Bridge contact 1 and contact 2 with a short piece of wire, the fans should run at low speed.
Switch on ignition, bridge contact 2 and contact 3 with a short piece of wire, the fans should run at high speed.
Switch off ignition, reconnect thermo switch connector.

To identify the connector pin numbers, hold the connector facing you with connector latching mechanism at 2 o'clock, pin1 is then at 12 o'clock, pin 2 at 4 o'clock and pin 3 at 8 o'clock.

For anyone who wishes to try to test the thermo switch, low speed is switched on between 92 and 97 degC and the high speed switches between 99 and 105 degC.

ADDED (NEW FANS 15/May/2006)

The newer fans will fail some guys on here have been through 4 sets ... even some of the last R32's on 54 plates have had fans fail...... the most common PM I get is will the modded fans ... my answer is yes but not quite as quickly as the originals, I have seen some original fans fail in 15k and modified ones fail by 40k but this hard to verify as it is hard to know if they were fitted from new... but they still failed.

The reason they will fail is a design fault of VW all other cars from the big Audis down to the P()assats with climatronic, use a fan speed controller, that utilises "pulse width modulation" to control the fans and thus negates the need for resistors in a high current circuit. (I have been told this by several reliable source but dont know if its the gospel truth)

Now should you fit them? well my opinion is this

• if its warranty job yes, as it keeps the car oem (but inferior LOL) but costs VW in the region of ?500... serves emm right
  • if its not warranty, well its your choice ?400 for something inferior that will fail half as fast as a clutch! or ?15 and 2 hours work for a fix that will outlast the car!!!!

THATS ALL FOLKS....... the longest synopsis ever.... but it should stop any stupid questions about fans or is it really the fan.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Andy (or whoever may shed some light)

After reading the original fan fault post a few months agoand confirming my 2001 4motion has the faulty fan problem - I fully intended to do the resistor mod. Like probably most people on here with limited tools, while I could order the parts, I had a problem with fabricating a heatsink/base. So I um and err and generally put off sorting it.

Well this weekend having driven 200 miles to a wedding in the middle of nowhere, I start my car in the morning to be greeted by 'STOP!' - Check coolant - Check manual/seek assistance (or something like that). Generally not what you want to see on a Sunday morning in the middle of nowhere. So I get out - check the coolant level. All seems fine. Manual says something about temperature sensors and overheating (or whatever) - and I think ' overheating? - let me check the fans'

So I start the engine - turn on the AC and go to the engine bay to watch the fans pulsing. So I wait, and wait - and hey guess what - they don't even pulse anymore!!!

I ended up driving home at about 60mph (AC off!) and stoping every hour to open the bonnet and let the bay cool down - paranoid as hell I'm going to overheat the engine and do some ????'s worth of damage.

Well the car is now sitting on my drive awaiting a new fan module (Oh, and did I mention the coilpack problem).

It would be great if this was just a blown fuse, but I suspect it may be terminal. I'd appreciate any feedback either way.

In short - I would recommend anyone who is putting off doing it to get it sorted ASAP!

Cheers, Mark
(And thanks to Andy for drawing it to my attention)

#4 ·
My fans were changed in August 2003 (? 429) so I have almost ignored this topic. But being cautions I checked this morning after getting to work....Oh dear! [:O]

My fans operate in only 'Panic mode ie its too hot!!' mode, not running at all until the engine is quite hot. This has been confirmed by the local dealer and the cost.... around ? 450! Bearing in mind that they were replaced only 27 months this is a huge expense every 2 years.

***Moral of the story - Check your fans even if they have been replaced!!!!***

Am waiting to see what VW's response is, here's hoping.

If its a big fat 'Sorry 24 months is the warranty period, we cannot help' does anyone experience in helping them re-evaluate their offer?

Cheers

Martin

#5 ·
WILL YOU PEOPLE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, READ THE WHOLE BLINKIN POST

THE ANSWER TO THE VW 'Sorry 24 months is
the warranty period, we cannot help' does anyone experience
in helping them re-evaluate their offer? IS IN THE POST ABOVE.....

I HAVE PUT TOO MUCH WORK INTO THIS FOR PEOPLE TO STILL REPEAT THE SAME
QUESTION. IF YOU CANT BE OLLIED TO SPEND A WHOLE HOUR TO READ THE
ORIGINAL THREAD THEN FORK OUT FOR YOUR 2ND SET OF FANS, AND THE
TERMINAL FAILURE.....

IF YOU READ IT YOU WOULD REALISE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND HOW EASY IT IS TOO FIX.

#6 ·
Andymac - please dont flame me for this but I'm gonna ask a question about this.....[:$]

Right, so i get that I start the car and then check the fans...

I have climate - should I turn it down to low? or do they spin when temp is set higher, like 20 degrees?

Do I need to let the engine get up to normal temp, or will they run at the constant slow speed even with a cold engine?

I am curious as its just that in this cold weather, does the car need to be warm to check it reliably and be certain if they are faulty or not.

You say that if the slow speed goes, it only pulses at high speed and its not enough to cool a hot engine - why don't they just run at high speed constantly until the engine is cooled down then?

Sorry if repeated questions annoy you, thats not my intention, but honestly this is the first I've seen of this thread - don't know how I've missed it, but I have somehow!

#7 ·
Ouch! That hurt. [:O]

My point has been missed here - I read the above and understand how to 'Fix/work around' the problem. My issue is that VW have had over ? 400 already to 'fix' this failure but supplied faulty goods again, to rectify this again I have to spend another ? 400. Thats over ? 800! I don't see why I should accept that I have to pay again or 'fix' it myself.

VW should do what Audi has done with their TT Instrument cluster problem and accept there is a problem and take steps to rectify.

#8 ·
Andymac - please dont flame me for this but I'm gonna ask a question about this.....[:$]

Right, so i get that I start the car and then check the fans...

I have climate - should I turn it down to low? or do they spin when temp is set higher, like 20 degrees?

Do I need to let the engine get up to normal temp, or will they run at the constant slow speed even with a cold engine?

I am curious as its just that in this cold weather, does the car
need to be warm to check it reliably and be certain if they are faulty
or not.

You say that if the slow speed goes, it only pulses at high speed
and its not enough to cool a hot engine - why don't they just run
at high speed constantly until the engine is cooled down then?

Sorry if repeated questions annoy you, thats not my intention, but
honestly this is the first I've seen of this thread - don't know how
I've missed it, but I have somehow!
I wont answer it, but Ill tell you now the answer is in the thread above and in my sig.

#9 ·
The fan test in Andymacs first post in this thread is sufficient to
identify the low speed problem, I have had several requests for further
fault finding

details to establish if any other fan related faults are present.

First the fans themselves.

Disconnect the fan connector and measure, with a multimeter, the
resistance between the red/white wire and the brown wire, it should be
a value less than 10ohms, a much higher value indicates a burnt out
internal resistor. Next measure the resistance between the red/black
wire and the brown wire it should also be a value less than 10 ohms, a
much higher value indicates a burnt out fan.

Next the fan controller, fuses etc.

The test detailed is taken from the VW repair manual for the V5.

Caution keep hands etc away from the fans during this test as they are expected to run:

Reconnect both fan connectors, if still disconnected, and disconnect the 3 pin connector from the radiator fan thermo switch.

Bridge contact 1 and contact 2 with a short piece of wire, the fans should run at low speed.

Switch on ignition, bridge contact 2 and contact 3 with a short piece of wire, the fans should run at high speed.

Switch off ignition, reconnect thermo switch connector.

To identify the connector pin numbers, hold the connector facing you
with connector latching mechanism at 2 o'clock, pin1 is then at
12 o'clock, pin 2 at 4 o'clock and pin 3 at 8 o'clock.

For anyone who wishes to try to test the thermo switch, low speed is
switched on between 92 and 97 degC and the high speed switches between
99 and 105 degC.

I've added these details to Andymac post so that all the fan
information is in one place, if more clarification is required on the
above details then please

start another thread so this one doesn't become too cluttered.
Eventually I will add the above to my website which has the details of
the fan mod.

#10 ·
I have a golf 4 150 tdi that had exactly the problem outlined. Fortunately it was fixed under warranty, however the resistor fix seem to be cheap and easy. It sounds very similar to the problem with the heater motor on Mk 2 polos which kept burning the low speed resistor out.

Can I please ask a technical question, which might have been answered, but I have read through posts and can't find it.

When the mod is done, and the fan is operating at slow speed, you are applying a reduced voltage to the high speed input wire. Is this likely to have any effect to the control gear on the upstream side of the fan when there is no voltage applied to the full speed wire by the cars normal control circuit. This could easily be got round by the inclusion of a diode if it is likely to be a problem.

I hope that this makes sense to someone.........

#11 ·
I know what you are trying to say, but there is nothing to worry about. If you study the circuit diagram on my website, you should be able to see that the resistor is just replacing the broken internal one.

The fan controller "sees" exactly the same circuit as before, no diode is necessary, mine has worked reliably for over a year now.

#12 ·
Thanks to this topic I would not have know my Bora 150 PD, slow speeds fans were in op, even though my dealer said they were fine, after a lengthy discussion with my local VW stealer they have now replaced both fans and also checked and replaced the fuses on the top of the battery, I queried if they had also replaced they ECU that controls the fans, which I was told, this does not require to be replaced, so whats to stop them going again, anyhow, with 30 days remaining of my 3 year warranty I now have new fans.

The car is also booked in next week to have the clutch master cyclinder and passengers heated seat switch replaced.

#13 ·
I would like to say thanks to everyone involed for spending so much time investigating the cause and solution for this problem to help others.

My fans have not been working for years now and i have decided its time to do the cheap fix before summy time as the fans on high speed are so loud when sitting in traffic with windows open and i cant afford any over heating problems causing damage.

[:)]

#14 ·
I have read the posts on this issue and I can't this info (but apologies if I have missed it somewhere).

What are the options other than the mod or VW replacement of parts ? Has anyone found the cheapest price for replacement fans (import / non-original parts etc.) or found an alternative/redesigned replacement that may not suffer this fault ? I guess replacing the fans is an involved process (DIY) ?

I have the low-speed problem with the fans, but I am a little nervous about the mod fix and I'm wondering what the cheapest replacement option is (fitting yourself, different parts etc.) and whether or not this would be any more or less reliable than the original supplied fans.

#15 ·
I have read the posts on this issue and I can't this info (but apologies if I have missed it somewhere).

What are the options other than the mod or VW replacement of parts ?
Has anyone found the cheapest price for replacement fans (import /
non-original parts etc.) or found an alternative/redesigned replacement
that may not suffer this fault ? I guess replacing the fans is an
involved process (DIY) ?

I have the low-speed problem with the fans, but I am a
little nervous about the mod fix and I'm wondering what the
cheapest replacement option is (fitting yourself, different parts etc.)
and whether or not this would be any more or less reliable than
the original supplied fans.
if you cant find this info its because it aint there...... there is no
other option other than the resistor mod or new fans from VW (GSF sell
them but they are more expensive than Vdub)..... Do you think if I had
found a replacement that was cheaper and better designed i would have
gone to the effort of maintaining a 13 page thread? or to have
spent houyrs ducumenting photgraphing various repairs?

And to answer you last question.... read the thread its in there.....

#16 ·

What are the options other than the mod or VW replacement of parts ? Has anyone found the cheapest price for replacement fans (import / non-original parts etc.) or found an alternative/redesigned replacement that may not suffer this fault ? I guess replacing the fans is an involved process (DIY) ?

I have the low-speed problem with the fans, but I am a little nervous about the mod fix and I'm wondering what the cheapest replacement option is (fitting yourself, different parts etc.) and whether or not this would be any more or less reliable than the original supplied fans.
if you cant find this info its because it aint there...... there is no other option other than the resistor mod or new fans from VW (GSF sell them but they are more expensive than Vdub)..... Do you think if I had found a replacement that was cheaper and better designed i would have gone to the effort of maintaining a 13 page thread? or to have spent houyrs ducumenting photgraphing various repairs?

And to answer you last question.... read the thread its in there.....
Yeah, I think you would still have gone to the effort of your great work because a ?30 fix will be the preference for the majority people. I was just trying to establish whether ?90+ VAT each was definitely the lowest price for replacements (should you want to replace) and whether someone was going to say something like "I've found the fans ?50 cheaper from xxxx for the pair, but of course they're subject to the same failiure and it's a difficult job fitting them". I read someone had ordered an official Corrado turbo direct from a source in Germany (I think) and saved about 50% on VW here. Your reply answers the question. Apologies for clogging the thread. Hey, at least I didn't ask how to check whether the fans were working ;-).

#18 ·
hi guys, did the 'fan fix' over the weekend and it works a treat! these instructions on here are brilliant and easy to follow.

i took the bumper off my 4motion to make it easier because i couldn't get the headlight out, but with the bumper off i discovered that there was no way that i was ever going to fit the resistors on the plate under there, so i made a bracket and mounted them infront of the wheel arch by the horns:

Posted Image

then mounted the resistors on some old computer heatsinks i found and voila!! they fit a treat and being where they are, they get loads of air flow when on the move! all joints were soldered and shrink wrapped to stop any crap getting in too, cos i hate having to re-do connections because they corrode! stupid gonky spade terminals..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 ·
After running some text about the fans problem in the pages of Volkswagen Driver magazine, I received the following info from a VW technician:

'Volkswagen has now modified the faulty resistors so you can now buy new fans that will permanently fix the problem and the customer will be supplied with a full Volkswagen parts warranty!

These modified units can be identified by a green dot on the outer ring of the fan blades'

#22 ·
If people would club together and buy one of those fans i will prove that they still fail............. , the problem as alott of people have found to great expense that the fans fail when under pressure. Neil read the thread in my signature, there are people with 04 cars that have had 2 sets of fans people have had 3 sets and 2 have supposedly been the Mk2 versions?

Oh and the VW parts warranty is only 12 months ........ not alot for a ?400 set of fans.

#24 ·
Hi all ,

I have recently done the 'Fix' as described in the the above posts . My fans seem to be working OK now , ie slow speed , for the first time since i have owned the car ( V6 4Motion ) ... But since doing the mod everytime i switch the ignition off there is still something running under the car , sounds like an electric pump . Please could anyone tell me if they have the same thing happening and is it meant to do that . After about 10 minutes it stops until the next time i switch the ignition on+off .

Cheers .. Kev.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.