Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the rage, failed mot for headlights being too high. they wouldnt even let me adjust setting

sick

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thats very tight, where I go I sit and wait, if there's something minor they come and talk to me, what normally has me running to Halfords for a new Bulb or something! lol

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
thats well tight m8 , was they over busy and didnt have time or just a bunch of ............

talking of mot's mines due in the next week or so and i know its going to fail , (a chip,3mm crack ) right in my view smack bang in the middle of it been there for well since i have the car but i didnt notice it lol

would i be better off getting it done at the stealers and claim my money back , or get those men in vans out to do it and pay nothing , sorry to jump on ya thread m8

·
Registered
17 Posts
with you on this mate......

took my motor to stealers for mot failed on headlights adjustment one of motor stems popped out thievin bunch charged ?84 for less than 15 mins work [:mad:]

would of done it me self if had known.

have a nice cold

cheers

pete

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
That's bang out mate, and truly ludicrous.

When mine were out in the mk4 before it got traded, mine were
apparently miles out, so out came the screwdriver and 10seconds later
all sorted. He also found one of my rear plate lights was out,
pottered into the office and came back and replaced it. 40.50 for
the MOT (the 50p being my bulb).

It astounds me that for stupid things like that, some garages don't bother [:(]

C

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So another ?18.50 for retest and i will probably have to get the lights sorted in a garage just to make sure they are correct. The guy said they were too high by 2cm.

not having a good month with local garages either. I left my car in to get the handbrake adjusted because after getting another guy to fit rear brake discs/pads and rear driver side wasnt locking. He managed to jam the rear drinks holder right in, he lost the plastic caps that cover the screws around the handbrake area. Then a day later the skid plate fell off and got busted by make back tyre and to top it all one of the screws from the plate was stuck in the tyre giving me a slow punture. (the skid plate had been removed to fit powerflex kit)

all in all it hard to find a good mechanic in belfast :(

I need to get my new 312mm front brake conversion fitted and im having problems finding a mechanic who actually doesnt bluff his way.

rant over

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I had a similar thing a few years back with my old GTI. Passenger side headligth was out by 1.5cm. MOT tester said he would adjust it for me so I thought cool, should be sorted FOC.

Gets the bill for the MOT and they charged me ?7.50 for, what amounted to, three turns with a screw driver [N]

Cheeky gets.

I'm suprised that they didn't offer to fix the lights levels for you - talk about doing things by the book.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thats bad they would have had it on the machine that they set them up on to test them anyway, it would have took them 1 minute. Also most places give you a free retest dont they.

·
Registered
895 Posts
would i be better off getting it done at the stealers and claim my money back , or get those men in vans out to do it and pay nothing , sorry to jump on ya thread m8
Yes, why wait for an obvious fail? Get the guys done and it should be free cos a 3mm crack is smaller than the area covered by a 10p piece. Whether they can get it done before your MOT is another story as I had to wait 3-4 days on mine, so get booked in now!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thats just absolutely shocking.bassically they have failed it so they can charge you for a re test.as already mentioned it literally tases 20 seconds to adjust mk4 headlights.did mine myself at work when i added the anniversary lights. [:(]

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm suprised that they didn't offer to fix the lights levels for you - talk about doing things by the book.
indeed

and they still could have done it at end of test while car was still on ramp........

·
Registered
28 Posts
MOTs are done in official DVTA Test Centres over here, so you can't really interfere when the test in going on.

Bob, I agree with you on finding a good mechanic around Belfast, did you have any luck? My car is due its MOT and needs serviced?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I can give an example even worse than this for tightness/jobsworthness.

My mates mum took her range rover in for an m.o.t and returned after and hours shopping to find that it had failed and that they were going to have to have some work down and have it retested.

The reason the car failed

Because she had a magic tree air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror. (apparently it would cause an obstruction)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts