Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my X reg TDI has failed its MOT for 2nd yr in a row.

2 break disks badly scored apparantly, so needs 4 new disks and 4 new pads. ALso CV joint is gone.

scored disks very common on VWs and Audis guy says.

anyway, they want ?90 for 4 disks and then pads etc is more, just standard VW ones are these ok ?

Im getting rid of the car after this, 4 yr old car that has failed MOT twice, spending a fortune on servicing it as well!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
is that from VW?

mine needs 4 new discs and pads soon ish for the same reasons really! wheels binding due to the condition and corroding discs etc.

On VW's price board it was ?99 all in for front pads and ?110 for rear pads, then discs on top!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
last year it was a VW dealership failed it, this year the local independant garage.

really annoyed, its only 4years old with 50k miles on it!!

wish I could check to see if the discs are really scored!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe Im just unlucky!?

anyway, the guy is fitting OEM discs and pads tomorrow and then it will pass.

Is there any better disks/pads I could grt or will this be a lot more expensive?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Our Lupo also had very badly scored front disks and they appeared to be warped. We ended up paying just over ?300 for disks & pads, cleaned rear brakes (they were making a horrible sound) and the MOT. They did match the best independent price that I had for disks and pads so I shouldn't complain.

The car only had 34k miles so I was surprised as our Bora went 62k with only rear pads needing replaced

·
Registered
531 Posts
Unfortunately VW dealer service is rubbish - my TDI with full VWSH needed new discs at 50k/3yrs because the clowns in the service dept do not bother to clean the brake assemblies to make sure they slide freely. Mine were not worn out, they just had severe corrosion on the inner edge. I complained to the garage who told me it was not part of the service schedule to clrean the brakes and it was my fault for not using them hard enough! Subsequent complaints to the VW (total lack of) Customer Service Dept were met with the usual bland nonsensical reply. I have now discovered that my tailgate lock no longer operates because it has never seen a drop of oil and is totally corroded inside.

I would rather trust a trained chimp to service the car!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Quote: posted by tdi_man on 25/11/2004 18:53:53

maybe Im just unlucky!?

anyway, the guy is fitting OEM discs and pads tomorrow and then it will pass.

Is there any better disks/pads I could grt or will this be a lot more expensive?

So the guy who failed it is going to get cash from you for doing the discs and pads, thats convienent. Was this place recomended to you or is it a 'Chain' like Kwik Bodge?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its just a local garage, no one reccommended it though. Im very skeptical as well but what can I do now, ask to see the scored discs?

it failed last year at VW dealer for a broken exhaust bracket and worn rear axel bushes, managed to get them done under warranty though as car was just 3yrs old.

I had a honda for 4 years before the golf and it never once failed an MOT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote: posted by tdi_man on 26/11/2004 10:06:58

its just a local garage, no one reccommended it though. Im very skeptical as well but what can I do now, ask to see the scored discs?

it failed last year at VW dealer for a broken exhaust bracket and worn rear axel bushes, managed to get them done under warranty though as car was just 3yrs old.

I had a honda for 4 years before the golf and it never once failed an MOT.

Whats the big deal with failing an MOT?

At least they spotted the problems - doing you a favour really.

When was the car last serviced and what is the mileage?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts