Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i currently have the factory fitted sports suspension on my golf but i want to lower it more and i would like to know approximately what spring drop will get it sitting nicely.

i thought of buying 35mm ones but it wont lower it by that much as it already has a 20mm drop on it from the sport suspension so which would be best to go for using the sports shocks as i dont want to replace them at the moment.

also any chance of some photos if anyones got it dropped 35mm on stock non sport suspension?

thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
Eibach and a couple of other manufacturers produce 50mm/60mm springs which might do the trick. But honestly, although not much deterioration will happen now, your shocks may wear out much more quickly with that kind of drop.

Why not go for coilovers - you can then adjust your suspension height accordingly.

Have a search on the forum as there are quite a few members running on -30/35mm drop springs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well just got off the phone to vw and its 60 + vat for ONE sport spring for my golf!

so im thinking of getting some FK street coilovers and running them at about 40mm-35mm

has anyone got these and what is the ride quality like? I haven't used coilovers before so any help would be appreciated

·
pauly4226
935 Posts
have a set of eibach pro sports on a v5 bora,looks ok,could be doing with being a bit lower,that said its daily so ,check out the post hemel hempstead meet .will let you judge for your self

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is that what you are running leon?

its just that for the cost of the spring and ive also got to buy two shocks. i could get these coilovers

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
hi i currently have the factory fitted sports suspension on my golf but i want to lower it more and i would like to know approximately what spring drop will get it sitting nicely.

i thought of buying 35mm ones but it wont lower it by that much as it already has a 20mm drop on it from the sport suspension so which would be best to go for using the sports shocks as i dont want to replace them at the moment.

also any chance of some photos if anyones got it dropped 35mm on stock non sport suspension?

thanks
you got any pics of your car as it stands now?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK,,, so im either buying a set of JOM coilovers or FK AK street coilovers which are better or are there any differences good are bad with these?

also how low can i go at the rear and front on a TDI without having mega issues with speedbumps etc

i read that the rear driveshaft or something can rub, is that only when you lower the rear though?

i want the car sitting properly so what mm drop will i need to do front and rears? as i dont want the front really low and then the rear sitting alot higher

·
Registered
108 Posts
There not much diff between jom and fk i myself have jom coilovers but if your going to lower your car on coilover remeber if you go 60mm or more i would get anti roll bars new drop links and new mountings then you can be sure its done right

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what would i have to lower the rear to for it to look right on 17's?

i was hoping 40- 45mm at the front would be ok but im unsure about the rear lowering,,

so if i go lower than 60mm i need new arb and droplinks, how much are they [:|]

·
Registered
108 Posts
lower than 60mm the anti roll bars and drop links and mounts these are all recomened but you dont hav to im dropping my bora 80mm so i need these but anyone going 60mm or lower would be adviced to get these antiroll bars £108 from venom drop links £40 from venom Mounts £60 and other bits from VW then your coilover some other might not think you need this but its in you and your car intrest

·
Registered
554 Posts
is that what you are running leon?

its just that for the cost of the spring and ive also got to buy two shocks. i could get these coilovers
Nope, Im running eibach 30mm. But I have a set of anni springs that will be for sale soon.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if i buy these coilovers what drop will i have to go for to get it looking ok.

basically i dont want to buy them if i HAVE to replace the ARB and if it will still look quite high!

its 15-20mm lower than stock at the moment so would a 45mm drop work or is it pointless [:(]

·
Registered
108 Posts
if i were you to cut down the price go for 50mm lower spring but your drive will still make contact with the anti roll bar so if your not willing to spend to much lower no more than 40mm

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
but then ive gotta replace the rear shocks you see as the sport ones are 32 quid a side.

so its the fronts that will rub the driveshaft/anti roll bar? what about the rear how much can that be lowered by

1 - 16 of 16 Posts