Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

On the way home tonight kept hearing a bang, knocking noise thought it was rear bushes (MOT due in a week or two) but later found out that the rear exhaust bracket has snapped off from the silencer! so a bodge later sort of cured it, for the time being now i have a leak just behind the cat!

so, Any ideas on brands and prices for a full system Turbo back i'm guessing because of the leak near the cat, I've looked at Eurocar parts and the cats are £160 odd so whats peoples views on Blueflames / Millteks / Other? ( as its a diesel a decat possibly)

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Ian

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
depends how much you want to spend, personally i think 5/600 for a system is silly, my car came with a power flow exhaust and that seems fine, not too boomy

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really looking to spend a massive amount as money is tight, But I could jsut go for a decat hopefully cure the leak then a rear silencer

any idea on a price for a cheap-ish full system not bothered by brand

cheers

Ian

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
I'd say pop into your local Unipart place and price up a full system from them. I just bought a full system for the Ibiza (cat back) inc. clamps and gaskets, for £122. Two years warranty. I'd guess the full system for yours (including cat) shouldn't cost more than about £200, bearing in mind the cat is part of the front pipe. Fitting would be fun on the drive, but it'd be cheaper than going to the dealer or an exhaust place.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
14ngttdi - your got a diesel so no need for a cat, decat can be had off ebay for 100 quid

then go get a custom catback fitted to it. alot cheaper i must say

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rusty nuts - Will give that ago tomorrow i'll ring around a few places and find out a price thanks

Paradox - i was thinking about getting a De Cat (as thats where its blowing) then just a rear silence or something along those lines, how much roughly do you recon a custom back would be? where would i get one from, or who does them?

Ian

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
A new front pipe including cat is just about £100 from one online site. Link. I would want a decat pipe to be less than £30.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
been looking on ebay and they are around a few hundred for a decat!! tried searching on here for the cheap ebay decats but couldn't find the links

so if i can get one cheap enough i'll go for a decat then a standard back box i think

Ian

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
i cant fault my milltek, but would wholeheartedly recommend going the decat way whatever brand you end up with

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
14ngttdi - not sure where you based but there are loads of places that will do a full exhaust for a good price which will be jsut as good as any other branded exhuast if not better as they make it to your spec

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I think a milltek de cat downpipe is £125 from awesome gti.

Im planning on using a milltek de cat then getting a cat back straight through made up by a local exhaust place ..... im going to go see them today to ask how much they will charge.

I dont think we need back boxes [whistle]

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pokerprotdi150 - I did have a quick look on Awesomes site but it wasn't working but thats not to bad, i was thinking a similar thing, get one then get an exhaust place to just replace the rear box and fit decat, also is that legal? i did briefly think about doing away it... lol

Paradox1 - im just out side Ashford in Kent i will try to go to somewhere tomorrow if possible and see what they say a mate did mention Powerflow in Croydon, getting them to make a custom one

Ian

Ian

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
yeah thats the one you want, but could get cheaper off e-bay or custom. I was firstly thinking i getting a miltek downpipe and sport cat for my 18T but that was nearly 4-500 for that. got a downpipe & sports cat of a group buy for £130. big difference, got a scorpion catback for 300 but would have been cheaper if i took it to a custom exhaust company. as its just over a 100 quid for the the de cat you might as well go for it and get somewhere custom to do your cat back. not sure of any custom places down your side though

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i couldn't seem to find those 'Ebay Decats' people are on about only ones for the 1.8T not the tdi? unless thats what you use then block off the lambda holes?

Ian

1 - 20 of 56 Posts