Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This light lit up on my dash last night! (after quite a long journey) and I phoned VW assisstance to find out what to do... they said as the light was amber and the car wasn't misfiring it was safe to proceed home - I did just that at quite a humble pace.

This morning I started the car to see if the light was still on - and it was, I revved the engine a couple of times (only to about 3500rpm) and a shed load of black smoke poured out of the exhaust....wonderful.

So I'm booked in to VW Vindis tomorrow and would appreciate some speculation from you guys as to the problem. Has the cat failed? If so should it fail on a car with only 45k? And will my vw warantee cover me? Any ideas?

The manual states - "LIGHTS UP: If a fault which reduces the quality of the exhaust gas (e.g. Lambda probe fault) ...

cheers

s

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine is on and I dropped it into VW on Saturday. Turns out my problem is a vacuum leak in the carbon filter?!?! No black smoke for me though!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its funny but it could be all manor of things unrelated to your actual exhaust.

My car (1.8T) has had this problem various times.

1) Coilpack failure.

2) Turbo faulty valve.

3) It just comes on.

The last time it came on it was taken into VW and they couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually they just reset the error.

In fact when i last had my car serviced I drove to the garage without warning light on and when i drove back home it came on and then went of the next day!!!

Annoying.....

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It could come on for loads of reasons. When mine came on last month it was for a temperature sensor. If your car is under 3 years old then should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I would guess it would would be either the MAF or Lamdba probe that has failed, as if a coil had gone you would notice a lumpy idle.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Just had a new maf put on mine to test if it is this which is causing the fault to be flashed up. I can try the MAF for a week (no payment)if the problem is solved then I'll pay for it!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Lambda probe was the cause of mine a few weeks back.

Light goes on (and stay's on). ?200 from VW - normal garage wouldn't look at it as it was the 'pre-cat lambda probe' (there's 2 probes - one before the cat and one after (apparently) which is a bugger to get to. (Probably wasn't worth there time - well no huge profit for them maybe and simply didn't fancy the job)

Dropped into VW Heathrow - ?200. ?90ish for sensor and the rest labour.

Problem solved. My motor was a bit shuddering at times when this was going on. No black smoke though, well never noticed that anyway.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Was told ?100 all in from Blade Gloucester, they were going to change one and they said the 4mo has 4 sensors (dunno if true or not! so don't quote me)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by SteveV5 on 11/01/2005 09:41:14

She's in today so am waiting for the call from VW....shudder...

cheers

s

Good luck, hope the stealers don't sting you too much![:)]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Sounds suspiciously like a lambda probe has gone.

The smoke will be your car running pig rich to prevent damage to the engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much do you reckon that'll cost? And do these things 'just fail' at any point - or should I expect longer life on these things seeing as the car's only 3.5 years/45K old??? This'll test the used car warranty for sure...still haven't figured out what use the warranty is by the way.

S

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gobsmacked - it was indeed the Lambda probe/the sensor measuring the gasses going into the Cat' - all fixed and she's being road tested as I write.

The reason why I'm gobsmacked is because there is nothing to pay - as it's all under warranty.

So there you go.

Faith in VAG dealerships reinstated....

cheers all

s

·
Registered
476 Posts
Good news. Mine is out of warranty so had to fork out.

My car is almost 4 now and 45k as well. Wonder if it's a common fault?

Worry when the light comes on though......mine came on as I was passing Heathrow, and there it was to the right like an oasis in the desert - VW Stealership!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Premature I was in my praise.....

My girlfriend has just picked up the car - vw did'nt have the part in stock so let her drive away saying it was safe to drive...booked in for next monday to have the work done.

I phone up VW to double check and they tell me it should be driven as little as possible!!! As it may damage the cat'

Have just been on to the service manager and am waiting for a reply to find out the truth of th matter....jeeze...

s

1 - 17 of 17 Posts