Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded from a mk4 to a mk5 Golf and am experiencing quite a lot of wind noise coming from the top corner of the drivers door above 40mph. I have tried taking it back to the dealer and they have changed the door seal and adjusted the door alignment. Still the noise remains though.

I see that others have had problems with this noise on this car, but am wondering if anyone has managed to source the problem and get it rectified? I understand similiar wind noise problems have occured on the Jetta in the US (found in vwvortex) and have been solved by putting some foam somewhere inside the wing mirror assembly, but I have yet to suggest this to the dealer. Maybe there is some space in the wing mirror where the wind is coming into the door frame and looking for a way out on the other side at speed, who knows?

If anyone has solved this problem, I'd be interested in hearing from you, otherwise my dealer will continue to 'investigate' next time I bring it in. Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh Dear, ukguy

I have a 5 door car I noticed a wind noise present, coming I believe from the drivers door area or window at about 55 mph, right at your ear level how annoying.

After contacting the dealers and pushing the issue,they contacted VW who said its a problem,I also noticed the shiny black door pillar panel is loose on the drivers side but Not on the other side

If it is the same problem as I had back in July 2005,then it`s the Top door seal which fits on the Top of the door the one with a slight fur touch to it,the picture I took shows the foam large door seal(not this one for replacing ) it`s the one at the top of this,to remove this they need to remove the outside of the door skin.When I was told this I went crazy,but believe me if the garage takes it`s time and know what they are doing you wont even know they have been their.This I can say totally cured the noise and has been fine ever since.I hope this helps as when I had my problem very few people were willing to comment.

Ps What Year is yours ??

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jade-Asha

Thanks a lot for your reply. Due to ongoing problems with the drivers side window deciding to go down when it should be going up (auto roll back deciding to operate whenever it felt like it), I've just had the seal you mention (the fur one that goes against the inner window) replaced along with the window lifter. Having said that, am I thinking the right seal here...there is a slightly furry one right at the top of the door frame, not talking that one are you? I think the wind noise was there before I had the work done though (only had the car a month) but am not totally sure. The seal looks like it's making good contact with the window too, but thats not to say it can't be that if you've sorted it by having it replaced. I am not sure of going down that route for another replacement seal but am interested to see how you solved the problem.

My car is a '04 model 1.9 TDI SE.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
The window issue is something that is known but quite frankly VW aren't forthcoming with a fix for it. I have it on my car, and as you've just reminded me about it and it's done it a few times lately (it's slowly getting worse - it started off once in a blue moon) I'll give them a kick later in the week.

Your wind noise problem sounds like a door seal to me - they are absolute TOSH on the mk5, I'm on my third set. Thankfully thus far they have stuck, unlike the first two sets. The first lot didn't last a month from delivery [:S]

C

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply CkB

I had the door seal replaced about 2 weeks ago due to the sticky stuff coming away and it drooping below the door. So this one is baffling me. To me it does sound like the seal also, but which one I really dont know. I see that someone solved the problem by the dealer blocking some void in the side mirror hosuing? I'm not sure on this so looking for more info' before I approach the dealer.

If you find a fix please let me know!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,ukguy

according to my dealers ,even when the seals looked ok they were not.The seal in question is the Top one on the door,fur one side rubbery the other ,if you were to shut the door it`s the one you see when the door is closed from the outside,this is why they have to remove the outerskin to gain access to it.I dont know the dealers you used,but some seem more tuned in than others,alot of dealers put it down to a gap in the indicator on the mirror,but this was quickly eliminated when their master technician came for a listen.I thought it was disgusting that another dealers,out local one wished to adjust the doors to compensate.`No way I think` I said without swearing.So if the wind noise is still there and you haven`t owned the car from new,have the doors been adjusted,easy way to check the paint on the torx screws will have the paint mesed up.

Best of luck

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the reply.

What you describe sounds like the same seal that was replaced recently because of a recurring window roll back thing (looks like it incorporates the window seal as well as one piece). The new seal looks pretty tight up against the bodywork. Not sure on the window side bit, maybe thats not locked against the window when closed. Having said that, it's been raining pretty heavy here today and no water has leaked in. The mind boggles. I will monitor over the coming days and if it becomes unbearablly irritating, I will venture back to the dealer. But with many people having the same problem, I am wondering whether it was a build issue for the earlier 2004 models? Who knows...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know if air could leak from the panel behind the door card? It's just a seal was changed and they took the door card off to replace it. I know on the older cars there was just some polythene there...not sure about the new mk5's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our car has been like this since new. Been back to the dealer loads of times.

Writing to VW UK got us a letter back from VW UK basically saying "tough".

If you want a quality car, I suggest looking elsewhere - we've given up.

·
Registered
554 Posts
VW seem to be losing the plot with customer service, if a recognised design fault you would expect them to rectify it or at least be working hard on a fix.

I never thiought my GTi suffered from this problem until I sat in the passenger seat whilst the wife was driving, this level of wind noise is not what you would expect from a 'quality' motor - good job I wasn't a passenger very often [;)]

Hopefully they will resolve this otherwise you'll just have to turn uop the volume on the stereo and get on with enjoying the many positive aspects of the car [^o)]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the latest is that I am waiting for a new window seal to come. It's on back order from Germany and apparently there is no current stock in the UK. Oh wellm just lucky I haven't got a water leak then. In the meantime, the main outer door seal (the bit that goes all the way round) has come loose again after being replaced once. Not good, all they need is some strong adhesive I guess. At least it hasn't started sagging yet under the door....I monitor this on a weekly basis now.

You'd think that VW would have addressed some common problems on the mk5 golf by now. Other than these niggles, I like my current Golf, it just doesnt appear to be as well made as my mk4 was though...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I noticed the noise when I started driving my Mk5, the dealers did re-align the drivers door, the noise was drastically reduced, however later I noticed the rear window was actually loose (noticed since i pressure wash the car) the window was replaced and the noise now good as gone .

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Strange how some cars suffer and others don't, after a 6000 miles in mine, including a European trip of 1200 miles, I don't have this problem (yet), I didn't have it in my GT TDi either, I think I might take some close up photos of the door seal area in question, just incase things get worse, at leat then i'll have something to refer to.

Hope you Pep's get things sorted.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all,

As an update, I had a new window guide seal and outer door seal replaced on the noisy side, and that has cured the problem to bring it into acceptable parameters! I think the actual problem was air coming in on the top corner of the window seal. Anyway, job sorted under warranty[:D]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi all,

As an update, I had a new window guide seal and outer door seal replaced on the noisy side, and that has cured the problem to bring it into acceptable parameters! I think the actual problem was air coming in on the top corner of the window seal. Anyway, job sorted under warranty[:D]
Glad you got there in the end.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So am I. Unfortunately the car received a battle scar (dent) by someone opening the door too fast. Virtually sorted that through dent master at the dealers expense. Overall I am happy though, it was an uphill struggle though!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
So am I. Unfortunately the car received a battle scar (dent) by someone opening the door too fast. Virtually sorted that through dent master at the dealers expense. Overall I am happy though, it was an uphill struggle though!
Yep the nicer it is, the harder to keep nice.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
True... Now all I need to do is adjust the striker plate a little as the dealer has adjusted it so far that it proves very difficult to close without slamming hard. I'd prefer to do it as I know it will be right when it's done...and I can do it several times if need be without going back over and over. I have posted on another thread the question though...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm sure it's a Torx drive T45 but don't quote me, I didn't drive my car in today so can't look for you.

Halfords sell the bits separately, I'm sure they'd let you try a couple if a member of staff was with you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts