Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend who recently organised the Castle Combe track day which Spanner and Cmdrfire went to is planning a huge Euro Blast in 2007.

The trip will be 7 days duration and possibly in September time.

Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland are the intended destinations and culminating with a day at the Nurburgring.

It's early days, but anyone likely to be interested?

I'll be going if I can get the time off work!

Lee

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more info.

Here's the plan of the trip

Sunday Day 1 Blast to Interlaken from Ferry

Monday Day 2 Mountain passes over the alps to Italy Bolmio region north of Lake Garda

Tuesday Day 3 Lay day for peeps to visit Modena, Verona or simply crack some more mountain passes i.e. Stelvio

Wednesday Day 4 Garda to Cortina across dolomites

Thursday Day 5 Cortina to Kavlory Vary via Austrian/Tirol region

Friday Day 6 Kavlory to Nurburg (Stay in Cochem/Trier)

Saturday Day 7 Drive the ring (then options are stay over a visit the ring on Sunday or drive to ferry Saturday night)

Here's a pic of Stelvio Pass for those who have not heard of it. EVO magazine loves it.

Stelvio Pass

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is something I'd love to do, a massive road trip, and since I'm not in the Euro-hoon or Mega-hoon league just yet, this may be a fantastic opportunity.

I'm definitely VERY interested, but will have to calculate finances etc. Unless you need definites, then put me down!! :)

Cheers!

Andy

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's early days and I'm just helping the organiser to get more peeps interested really.

No idea on finances but I'll ask to see how much his last trip cost.

He's done a few trips like this so should be able to give me a rough idea of how much it'll cost.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Nice itinerary you have there Chungster! I could definitely be interested in this this trip, but glad it is a while away, because from experience, the costs do mount up!

I was on last years Megahoon as a passenger in a mates Evo 8 - the trip was very similar, and it was an absolute hoot, but i did miss the VW chat (although a lass called EmmaP from pistonheads did the trip in her Corrado VR6 - classy lady!).

I drove many of the passes myself in June (Timmelsjoch pass, Stelvio pass, Gavia pass (OMG - car's width for most of the way!), Passo di Giau, where Evo do many of their photoshoots), in convoy with my mates Evo. Althought my mk4 wasn't a patch on the performance of his Evo (although he did manage to set his brakes on fire at one point!), I had brilliant fun on the alpine roads, and managed to get a legal 141 out of her on the autobahn in Germany. We stopped at Reims on the way back (which was amazing), and the only thing missing was the 'ring.

Sounds like a fab trip - i would be easily convinced - especially if you could arrange to stay at 'La Genzianella' in Bormio. We stayed there after driving from Cortina (before driving the Stelvio). The service was brilliant (even thought we were the only guests in the hotel, it being low season), the breakfast was amazing - so much food, and to top it off, 'Fedi', the owners daughter (who was around 25), was really friendly and completely hot[:p]!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave J,

Thanks for that. Makes me wanna do this trip even more.

The plan from the organiser is to create mini groups of 5 cars max of similar driving style (caning it all the way or steady and enjoy the views)

I will let him know about the hotel in Bormio and see if we can rekindle your friendship with the owners daughter if she is still there lol.

Quick calc of miles covered each day (just to get to our overnight destinations)

Day 1 - 600 miles

Day 2 - 300 miles

Day 3 - Rest day

Day 4 - 200 miles

Day 5 - 400 miles

Day 6 - 400 miles

Day 7 - 300 miles

TOTAL 2200 miles

Average 300 miles to tank for us VW drivers so between 7 to 8 tanks. Add extra 2 for Day 3 driving and blast round the Ring and so 10 tanks say.

£50 per tank = £500 on fuel alone.

Likely to go over £1k then with hotels and stuff.

Just like a holiday really but I'm sure this will be one trip to remember for those who like driving on great roads with spectacular scenary.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm very interested but I have no idea what I'll be up to then as I'll be done with university (hopefully!) and should be looking for a real job!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello further to lees post

Cost in 2005 was approximately £530 plus fuel approx £550, Tolls, Track sessions at Nurburgring and of course Beer and food.

We drove 2500 miles in 2005 trip included 16 passes in Italy, switzerland, Italy, France and Austria in 6 days

Last trip 15 cars went 4 Evo's 11 Scoobies including a Spec B legacy, Drivers quickly fell into natural groups i.e. those wanting to get up at 06;30 and hit the passes and finish at 19:00 in the bar and those wanting to drive the route book in their own time and finally those happy to visit towns via autoroute.

Next year there will be lay day as the trip will be 7 days long or 8 if you want to stay another day at the ring, extact trip to be confirmed but its taking shape, and will try and recce most of the legs. Checked out Garda Verona, Modena area a few months ago, in Bolmio next month with a couple of peeps from the last trip Ford KA hire car challenge:)

Lay day in Trentino-Alto Adige region will allow peeps to hit more moutain passes, visit Garda, Verona Modena etc go cyling or simply sit in the bar

The trip is hard on brakes, DOT 5.1 fluid and harder compound pads highly recommended or take a spare set of soft pads if you respect your discs.

My average MPG was 20mpg in Spec C most cars averaged 20-22 mpg except on the ring and some of the passes where 6/7 mpg seemed the norm

for Evos and Scoobies.

To be honest as you are driving real roads GTIs/R32 etc will more than keep up as its more about sustained pace, this is not an event for "show and shine" drivers the event will be a real driving challenge which your cars will revel in

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I'll watch this unfold for now if that's ok... Depends how the pace is, as I can't afford to go too wreckless if you know what I mean?? Does sound awesome tho [:D]

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I could be intrested. Same as Chris though, would want to watch it unfold first really. Take it were ok 2-3 people per car?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Most drove on there own about 25% with partners/friends I would not recommend passengers in the rear, it can be lively.

I led the groups so took a navigator who just so happened to be ex rally driver so that helped with the pace on C roads

I shared the driving with my mate which was great as the days are long of course we shared the twisty bits really really

Will be working with Dettaglio to help formalise the trip

Link to some in car footage to Stelvio which was the busiest and slowest pass we drove, my car is the STI with the low non chav rear spoiler

http://www.scoobysmacs.co.uk/video.asp

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that stelvio pass looks scary! no barriers to stop u from flying off down the side of the mountain. Yikes.

But it looks amazing!

Think I better plan some upgrades on the car for this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok guys tenative dates are sunday 23rd Sept (to allow saturday peeps to travel down south to ferry ports) returning from the Ring in the evening on Saturday 29th, however I expect many will want another morning or full day on the Sunday 39th to finish of the week. Clearly I havent got ring opening dates yet so will need those to confirm.

My plan is to travel out on the Friday go to Disney land with Family drive to Interlaken stay there for Sat/Sun they fly home Sunday night then meet all the drivers as they arrive from Scotland, England, Wales from different Ferry routes.

Off to recce Gross Glockner and a few other passes next month, will miss not having 340+ bhp versus 70 bhp of the hire car :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Totally.

If we get enough people from here to go, we can create our own little group and do the trip at a speed suitable for us. Ckb has already mentioned he wants to take it "easy" [;)]

The other people will be driving TVR's / Scooby's / Evo's so more likely to do some max speed runs lol

However we'll catch them up due to them having to stop every 150 miles for refuelling.

So don't be afraid to come along.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
PMSL thanks mate, thanks [;)] In my paranoid state with lots of points (yes i know it's a bit different over there) I don't like the haevy side of 100 that's all [;)]

Well, except very occasionally, like in Germany on a Bahn when we had 140+ [;)]

C

1 - 20 of 73 Posts