Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Being a newbie I've not had had my TDI 100 long! All ready been tinkering around with a few bits and bobs... I.e lowered it in on Eibach springs <the oem shocks seem to be handling them fine for now>, what a difference they've made! Also activated a few settings in VAG-COM....

Final thing to do is a re-map... Stealthracing here we come... <as and when funds allow!>

Anyway so yes just wondered if its dangerous turning ESP off, can it be used for more 'spirited' approach to driving when its safe to do so? Or does it make it easier to lose control of the vechile with it off? (In which case I won't touch it!)

Cheers

PS Am after a single VW drivers mat oddly enough?! Don't really want to shell out for a complete set so if anyone knows or has a spare one, let me know! [:D]

·
Registered
501 Posts
Is it ESP or ASR?

ESP is like stability control and I'd leave it switched on

... but ASR (what I had) is just traction control and I used to turn it off as it would bog the car down on a spirited drive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its ESP mate, arr ok I'll leave it on then!

Hmm Mat I remember you from my ealry years when I had a MK GTI Non Turbo!!! Remember me?! [:p]

I've returned - In Diesel form! LOL!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
i try to keep mine off as much as i can, its a much better ride

stick to a certain mph and then turn it off, you can feel the difference straight away

i have esp though

·
Registered
501 Posts
I thought it might be!! Yes I do remember, didn't we meet up at inters a few years ago?

I think I still have you on my messenger!! How's it going?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? Cool ok I'll turn it off and see what effect it has, as long as its safe to do so been a bit scared to!

Yeah we did Mat!! Yeah good thanks matey been agggggeeeeeeessssss hasn't it... I couldn't find my original fran log-in so had to sign up a new one. See you've sold your MK4 buddy... Yes im good thanks, I've been modding and driving a MGF which I still have and love - but practically its just not working! So had to get something pratical as I seem to be travelling a lot further these days. Yeah your not on mine for some reason - im sure I wouldn't of deleted you! Let me have your addy at some point mate! [:)]

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Depends if you can control the car without it!

If you spin the wheels too much (including traction loss during a gear change ), ESP kicks in and kills the revs. No good where speed is concerned. For instances where you know you can control the car, e.g. drag strips etc., may as well turn it off.

Mine comes on randomly when cornering at high speed - totally unsettles the car; never really sure if it's actually saving my a_se, or it's actually trying to kill me. never dared turn it off to find out...

Everyday driving; mine is pretty much always on..

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I always turn mine off in the dry, i do not like it on , when on you can take a corner a bit faster than normal and it`ll spaz out and aim you onto the inside. If you know how to handle your car and act responsibly then turn it off...i fully got use to mine before i started having fun, though sometimes i wish it was turned on if you know what i mean. I always use to test what the car could take at early hours circuling the same roundabout.

Noticed the boras are a little tail happy sometimes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Come on you guys.... all this talk about rolling cars over and being scared with it switched off.....! I am surprised. How many of you are old enough to realise that the first cars you drove probably didn't have such devices in the first place? How did you get by then? Drive like a granny everywhere? My first car (MkII Golf GTI) didn't have this and I got by very much ok. As one member suggests - you just have to be sensible with it - and I am sure most of us on here are. For the record, I drive with with mine off in the dry but leave it on in the wet.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
i try to keep mine off as much as i can, its a much better ride

stick to a certain mph and then turn it off, you can feel the difference straight away

i have esp though
I used to toss the car into bends like it was FWD, and the ESP would cut all the power and generally make everything feel horrible.

But over time I've found it less and less intrusive. Strange thing is, on my car I can drift the tail around quite alot on roundabouts and the ESP doesn't even hint at cutting in.

I'd never ever dream of turning it off though, I like the idea of there being some sort of electronic safety device there!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
.... all this talk about rolling cars over and being scared with it switched off.....! I am surprised. How many of you are old enough to realise that the first cars you drove probably didn't have such devices in the first place? How did you get by then? ...
My first car (without such devices) didn't do near 150mph!

Drove it like it did tho [;)]

·
Registered
366 Posts
The ESP light use to flash off and on all the time, when driving in a spirited fashion, but since changing to Eibach dampers, springs and arb's, the ESP light rarely comes on.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I only turn mine off if I know a good traffic light duel is on lol.

Otherwise its on all the time. Why have it off all the time? Its their to safeguard you and if anything saves the front tyres. You can always just pop it off if the need arises.

Also, I would entertain having it off in the wet, not on a 1200kg+ front engined barge anyway.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Come on you guys.... all this talk about rolling cars over and being scared with it switched off.....! I am surprised. How many of you are old enough to realise that the first cars you drove probably didn't have such devices in the first place? How did you get by then? Drive like a granny everywhere? My first car (MkII Golf GTI) didn't have this and I got by very much ok. As one member suggests - you just have to be sensible with it - and I am sure most of us on here are. For the record, I drive with with mine off in the dry but leave it on in the wet.

~ Maxie
Sure it didn't have ABS or Airbags, but you wouldn't go around and turn them off I'm sure [:p]

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Another vote for turning it off, I turn it off whenever i fancy a spirited drive, (most days). I find it takes away too much when cornering and slows down corner exit speed.
Its fine for normal town driving tho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts